What's new

LOTR ...is it that much of a must have for HT? (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hi all...I know this is a beat question, but I am willing to plunk down the money for it if it is...I am willing to believe it'll make your HT room sound great...And it is the extended edition that I want...I believe it is in best buys ad this week for 29.99...sound correct?---> just want to make sure I get the correct one...url--->
http://www.bestbuy.com/Movies/Produc...270&cat=&scat=
thanks for the info! TL

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
That would be the one! And, yes, it is an absolutely necessary purchase for anyone with an HT. The video, audio, and extras are perfect.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Tommy,
It's a must-have demo if you like the movie, which I most emphatically do. Picture and sound quality are topnotch and it will really show off a 6.1 system to great advantage.

If you don't like the movie, there are a few other dvds that will also show off your HT about as well. Gladiator, Blade II, Starwars II, all have great pic and sound quality.

A couple or three years ago everyone around here was raving about the demo-quality of "Lost in Space"--a movie I saw in the theaters and really didn't like so I didn't buy it.

I refuse to buy a "demo quality" disc of a movie I don't like. Fortunately LOTR/FOTR EE doesn't fall into that category for me, but ymmv.

Ryan Jameson

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, a film is only a must have if you enjoy the movie. Regardless of the quality of the video/audio/extras, if you don't like the movie it won't be worth the money.

Besides, there are other great films out there with incredible video, sound, and features.

Brian E

Screenwriter
IMO, a film is only a must have if you enjoy the movie. Regardless of the quality of the video/audio/extras, if you don't like the movie it won't be worth the money.
I couldn't agree more. That said my personal collection wouldn't be complete without both versions of FOTR.

Ryan Jameson

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't agree more. That said my personal collection wouldn't be complete without both versions of FOTR.
Same here. And I'll be buying both versions of TTT, ROTK, and any other super-dooper special editions they may release in the future. I'm such a LOTR nut.

That said, the special edition for Attack of the Clones looks very nice. I still haven't bought it, but might because I'm a Star Wars fan. The last film just didn't excite me much.

And no way in hell am I going to be buying the Pearl Harbor: Big Ass Set or the Armageddon: Criterion, no matter how good the extras are.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One thing that bugged me about Episode II was that during some scenes where it was just dialogue without any music or sound effects, you could hear a lot of background noise. When there was no talking, it was perfectly quite, but while they were talking you could hear the noise and once you hear it, it sticks in your mind and ruins the movie. The picture looks good, and the sound effects are amazing, but the background noise during the dailogue sounded rough.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How do we always go from a discussion of FOTR to Episode 2?

Anyway, to get back on track, YES, FOTR EE is that good.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This is the ultimate DVD:

-Great movie
-Reference quality video and audio
-Great extras
-Great packaging

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
If you are to own only one DVD...it must be the LOTR EE.

A marvel in DVD technology....

A treasure in any collection...

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Sweet! thanks for all the input! I just went and grabbed it! Now to watch it:) thanks guys....tom

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Well, i just "liked" the theatrical cut, and bought that. I didn't know if i would buy the EE or not, but I had a gift card so I bought it for about 6 bucks. Well with the addition of the new scenes, I "loved" the new cut, love the video and the killer DTS, and the extras are well made, and all very interesting. The new cut made me love the movie much more, and got me interested in the first book. It's a great DVD to get. Take it from a fan who was just a casual fan at the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks