What's new

LOTR EE vs. Ultimate Gift Set (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Here is the way I see it:
If you like LOTR: GET THE 4-DISC
If you love LOTR: GET THE GIFT SET
That sounds about right. Although, I got the Gift Set, and I just 'like' the film. But the price was right plus with the rebate and movie ticket, total price came to like $17, which I can certainly live with.

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
I got my gift set from Amazon for 44.95 with freee shipping. So I only paid about twenty dollars more than the 4-disc set.

The cards and mini-mag are fluff, and the pretty box will sit in my closet mostly. The bookends are pretty cool however, and I love documentaries, so while on whole I think the gift set wasn't that much more extraordinary than the four-disc set, (especially when compared to the spiderman gift set), 20 bucks for an extra DVD isn't too outrageous, and the bookends are on prominent display atop my entertainment center.

If I had paid a few dollars more I might be wondering what was so special about the gift set, but as it stands I am very happy right now.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are talking about the "free" movie ticket like it actually has some value. I don't know where you live, but I can assure you here in Dallas there won't be a single theater of any quality accepting any coupons, discounts, free passes, etc. for at least the first 2-3 weeks of viewing when this thing comes out. That "free" ticket might get me into a showing in late January, but if I want to see it in December (which I do), I'll still be ponying up $8 just like everyone else.

Rich

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You guys are talking about the "free" movie ticket like it actually has some value. I don't know where you live, but I can assure you here in Dallas there won't be a single theater of any quality accepting any coupons, discounts, free passes, etc. for at least the first 2-3 weeks of viewing when this thing comes out.
Wrong. Movie Cash is negotiable as a check as opposed to a discount coupon or free pass. It is therefore like money in the bank, as opposed to an instrument that reduces or eliminates that money.

All theaters in this area will accept it, even on day one of the run.

- Steve

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
I've read elsewhere that the "book-like" DVD case for the Gift Set is made of a leather-like stuff, while the Extended Edition sold separately comes in a plain cardboard digipak folder.

Is that true?

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Well, I ordered the giftset from Amazon and still haven't gotten it yet. Of course, I am in Japan. However, I don't see how it should have taken more than 1 week to get here. Airmail from the west coast takes 7 days maximum.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I've read elsewhere that the "book-like" DVD case for the Gift Set is made of a leather-like stuff, while the Extended Edition sold separately comes in a plain cardboard digipak folder.
I only have the gift set version, but I'm pretty sure they're identical. Gift set version is cardboard too. You may be confusing the inside fold-out portion with the "box". The box is made to look like aged leather (pretty convincingly I might add), but also cardboard.

Steve Lockwood

Stunt Coordinator
Um, first, how do you know that these will be the bookends? Or the fact that they will even include bookends next year? Have a link where New Line says this?

And what? Because I have the Argonath bookends I won't be able to buy the TTT ones? Just because you can't afford both, don't presume to know what I'll be "disappointed" by. I suppose you will be disappointed next year when I have both the Argonath book ends and the TTT ones, which is much "cooler" than what you have!
Hell Ya Chazz_S! Well said!

Declan

Second Unit
got mine Friday. There ws no 5 disc gift set available in the UK (only the 4disc with the statues) so I ordered the r1. Oh Jesus it looks nice. Plus the extras are uncut on the r1 and the sound is more powerful on this than my r2 theatrical cut. Definitley a highlight (probably THEE highlight) of my collection.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Um, first, how do you know that these will be the bookends? Or the fact that they will even include bookends next year? Have a link where New Line says this?

And what? Because I have the Argonath bookends I won't be able to buy the TTT ones? Just because you can't afford both, don't presume to know what I'll be "disappointed" by. I suppose you will be disappointed next year when I have both the Argonath book ends and the TTT ones, which is much "cooler" than what you have!
Um... I was joking. I thought it was obvious. Guess not.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Yipe! How much is the Gift Set?? I thought it was about $45 on BestBuy.com but I went to buy it today and it's now $70!!! Did I miss something or was I hallucinating?!

Thanks for any pointers!

~ John

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Yipe! How much is the Gift Set?? I thought it was about $45 on BestBuy.com but I went to buy it today and it's now $70!!! Did I miss something or was I hallucinating?!
BB had it for $49.99 during the first week of release. After that, it goes up to its regular price, which ain't too cheap.

DJ

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I gave the gift set a good once over while I was in the store, I love the bookends, but I decided to go with the 4 disc edition. It contains more than enough content to satisfy me, and besides I love the book-style case it comes in. Very handsome.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's big Dome no doubt about that, but I wouldn't call it huge perse', the E.T. Ultimate Gift Set is actually the biggest dvd packaging i've ever seen.
Just thought as long as were talking about size here... ;)

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the E.T. set is a heavy beast.Woulda been cool if they had a hardcover book to throw into the Rings gift set like E.T. but I'm not complaining, very happy with this package.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
They'd better accept the Moviecash ticket during the first two weeks, because it's only valid through Dec. 31 2002!

I really wasn't expecting there to be bookends for the TTT and ROTK gift sets, but now that I think of it, a set of Orthanc and Barad Dur bookends would be hella cool. No idea what they would do for ROTK....figurines of Aragorn and Arwen? Eh...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.