What's new

LOTR - directors cut on dvd ? (1 Viewer)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Personally, I don't care if the extended cut makes the movie a hundred times better or a hundred times worse. I won't be happy unless the theatrical cut is released EXACTLY as I saw it in the theater. If they also see fit to provide us with an Extended Cut with the scenes edited back into the movie, I'll buy that too. I really hope this doesn't end up like Aliens where the only version available on DVD is the extended version. At least with T2 and The Abyss we got seamless branching. And I'm still irritated that the only DVD version of The Last of the Mohicans is the director's "Expanded" version.

Give me the original...then provide the others if you can, but always provide the original.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I think any extended version will have to be a separate release as the cost is still in the balance, isn't it? They want to do the straightforward stuff for now and then capitalise on it all when the series is finished.

As a reader of the book I could have done with an extra 30 mins. An extra 105 mins sounds too good to be true. If so splitting over two discs sounds fine to me - you have two books in FOTR - split it where they do after Frodo falls unconscious.

I think 'adding' in this case is not the same as in the case of the Abyss or T2 - the story is very full and the extra stuff will be worthwhile.

If at the end of the day we're talking about expanding each movie by a similar amount then you end up with (effectively) 6 movies - one for each book (two books to a part). Each book does in fact have its own title but I can't remember them. Of course TTT and RoTK are having the books interwoven so I'd imagine that will mean an 'intermission' is not as forthcoming...

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
That would be way to long. THe movie is already long as hell now. Just give us a loaded two disc edition of the theatrical version. Then if he wants to do a super duper SE, then I'm all for it.

Kami

Screenwriter
That would be way to long. THe movie is already long as hell now. Just give us a loaded two disc edition of the theatrical version. Then if he wants to do a super duper SE, then I'm all for it.

Terrell, this is one of the few movies that will benefit immensely from the deleted scenes. I remember you complaining about lack of character development...well, that is some of what is cut...quite a bit in fact. A 4 hour, 45min version of the film would be a gift from heaven.

I love the current release but it's amazing to think of all the extra stuff they actually DID film. Wow.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Come on, now Terrell. Obviously if they release the 4.5 hour long version it will be for those of us who are huge fans of the movie. I don't think we'll see this until after all the movies are done, though we might get deleted scenes. I would love to have a 4.5 hour version of each movie, and would not consider it long at all, and neither would any of the LotR fans I've talked to. I wish they had done six movies, each the length of The Fellowship of the Rings.

You saying you wouldn't want a 4.5 cut of Fellowship is like me saying I wouldn't want a 4.5 cut of Phantom Menace.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Just a quick not for Jim C, Bombadil was not a Maia. Who or what Bombadil is is never fully explained. It's one of the reasons he's such a poular character amongst Tolkien fans.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I don't want a film on DVD that's 4.5 hours period. I want a theattrical cut of FOTR on DVD in a 2-disc package loaded with extras. I hope they don't decide to do this on the first DVD release of FOTR. Give me a great edition of the theatrical version and I'd be happy. And by the way, I wouldn't want a 4.5 hour DVD release of ESB, much less TPM.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Like I say, Terrell, I think we're going to end up talking about an SE that is effectively 6 movies. Note that little has been done to call this part the Fellowship of the Ring - there's just a credit that flashes up and the main one just says The Lord of the Rings.
This means if you bought a 6-DVD pack it would still be labelled LOTR but it would have six differently named movies in it much like the 7 volume LOTR (7th = Appendices).
Now you've not got the whole story in any one part either way so I see no reason not to hope for an extened 6-movie Special Edition of LOTR. Mmmm.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Actually, Theo, I think we are going to get ONE movie, called LOTR. That it will be 4-6 discs (and between 9-12 hours) is a moot point:D I feel that PJ will put out a miniseries-like event cut for the fans of the books, and by then, the fans of the film who want to "see it all." That does not take away his responsibility to make it an effective movie with proper pacing, set-up, character development, etc. It will probably be like the books. You won't be able to watch/read it in one sitting. I have heard that mentioned, and it rings true to me. That being said, I really want the theatrical version available. As stated, New Line can put out several versions if they want, as long as PJ is involved and the theatrical cut is there, I'll buy them all! The 9-12 hour cut lets VIEWERS choose when they want intermissions, besides the disc switches;) But time will tell. Treat the film and the fans with respect, and NL can break new ground!
Take care,
Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
So we aren't going to get a FOTR DVD containing the theatrical cut of the FOTR movie, this year?

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Terrell, the DVD release of Fellowship is being rumored as around August or September of this year. I'm sure it will have the theatrical cut. They'll probably do the 4.5-hour, full-movie stuff after all the films have been released, just for the diehard fans.

-Tom

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Ok! Now I understand. I thought you guys were saying the director's cut would be the one we'd get this year, and we wouldn't get a theatrical cut.

Ryan Jameson

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard the long cuts won't be available till 2004 (or later) so that they won't interfere with the theatrical releases at all. New Line reasons that if people knew they only had to wait 6 months for a longer, perhaps better cut of the movie, they wouldn't go see it in the theater. Makes sense to me, in a studio-exec sort of way.

I'd buy both versions if they were released together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks