What's new

LOTR BluRay Extended Cut? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by kemcha

There's no reason to be insulting. I'm not being obtuse. I'm just stating what everyone else is likely thinking.

First, I was one of the consumers who purchased the theatrical releases of the movies when they were first released to DVD. Dubly so, I was also upset when it was discovered that the Extended Editions would be later released to DVD. So, I purchased those, as well. Now, with Blu-ray, one would think that New Line would have learned from their past mistakes and just release the Extended Editions to Blu-ray.

I just don't see the reason why New Line wants to soak fans on two different releases of these movies.

Secondly, I never said that anyone quoted the TE versions as being watered down. When you compare the two, of course the TE is a watered down version because it doesn't contain the additional footage, which adds a deeper understanding to each movie. Compared to the EE version, the TE edition really is watered down.
It's what YOU are thinking. I'm not sure that everyone else is.

Clearly Warner is releasing the Theatrical versions of the movies, BECAUSE THEY SOLD BETTER ON DVD THAN THE EE VERSIONS DID! The fact that the EE versions sold well also means that there is a market for BOTH. Warner is in the movie business to make money. If they can maximize profits by releasing products that the audience clearly wants, why shouldn't they? Why is that so hard to understand? I guarantee that if they had released only the EE versions, you'd have an uproar from fans who prefer the theatricals. Ultimately they are going to release both, so keep your panties on, they will get to you.

In fact I wouldn't say that the TE of the films are watered down, (and Jackson seems to agree with that) though I do prefer the EE of Fellowship. However the other two movies I would say are bloated and over long. In some cases the added footage upsets the pacing of the films. Other times the added scenes telegraph things that are going to happen later in the film, making them redundant, and ruining the suspense. In my humble opinion.

Doug

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

There's no reason to be insulting. I'm not being obtuse. I'm just stating what everyone else is likely thinking.

First, I was one of the consumers who purchased the theatrical releases of the movies when they were first released to DVD. Dubly so, I was also upset when it was discovered that the Extended Editions would be later released to DVD. So, I purchased those, as well. Now, with Blu-ray, one would think that New Line would have learned from their past mistakes and just release the Extended Editions to Blu-ray.

I just don't see the reason why New Line wants to soak fans on two different releases of these movies.

Secondly, I never said that anyone quoted the TE versions as being watered down. When you compare the two, of course the TE is a watered down version because it doesn't contain the additional footage, which adds a deeper understanding to each movie. Compared to the EE version, the TE edition really is watered down.
The Hobbit will be coming to theaters, and that will probably be the timeframe of the extended releases on BD.
It makes sense to maximize sales from the studios standpoint. I'm not condoning it, but making the most money will always outweigh pleasing the fans.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

The Hobbit will be coming to theaters, and that will probably be the timeframe of the extended releases on BD.
It makes sense to maximize sales from the studios standpoint. I'm not condoning it, but making the most money will always outweigh pleasing the fans.
The Hobbit is on indefinite hold while they try and find a buyer for MGM.

Doug

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

(more and more nonsense)

I don't want to think that a fellow HTF member could be this dense, so I'm going to assume that you're either grasping at straws because you realized long ago that you lost this argument, or you're just plain trolling.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
You must have talked to quite a few people if you think this is evidence that the TEs of LOTR wont sell. Its funny how you dismiss sales data whilst you proclaim your discussions with online people as evidence. I would hazard a guess that the sales data included a lot more people than you chatted to, but hey even if they didn't your claims make no sense given the millions of copies of the TE that were previously sold on DVD.

I plan on buying both. As someone has stated the TEs are the versions that were financial and criticial succcesses, one of which won Best Picture at the Oscars and deserve to be seen. Hardly "watered down." And I have been fully warned by Warner and Peter Jackson that an EE box is on the way. My personal preference would have been to put both versions in a box set - who knows this may happen with the EE.

I prefer the EEs generally but even those have flaws with what is added and is proof that adding footage doesn't always improve a film. A lot of it is good stuff but not all.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Just to play devil's advocate, couldn't it be argued that the theatrical editions sold better because they were also sold in large quantities to the rental market, while the extended editions were not?

And regarding THE HOBBIT, word has been spreading that it's on track to start filming in June of this year.

Vincent

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

Just to play devil's advocate, couldn't it be argued that the theatrical editions sold better because they were also sold in large quantities to the rental market, while the extended editions were not?

And regarding THE HOBBIT, word has been spreading that it's on track to start filming in June of this year.

Vincent
I don't believe that sales to rentals outlets are reported to Nielsen Videoscan as a retail sale.

The Hobbit is an MGM property and nothing its likely to be done with it as long as the rights are tied up with that studio. Now if the studio is sold for its parts fairly soon, they might be able to make that shooting date, assuming the studio that buys the rights wants to go ahead with the project as it stands, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The next Bond film is also on hold for the the time being.

Doug

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
You don't believe they are or you know for sure that they are not?

Vincent

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I don't believe that sales to rentals outlets are reported to Nielsen Videoscan as a retail sale.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
THE HOBBIT is on target to start filming in June. The bids for MGM were due yesterday and it appears that there were no winning bids for everything. It is understood that Warner's will make an offer for the MGM's ownership of THE HOBBIT and it should be accepted. Off the subject, but it looks as if Fox will go after the Bond rights and get in a fierce battle for them with Sony.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

You don't believe they are or you know for sure that they are not?

Vincent
I don't know that for sure, but I do know that sales to video rental outlets don't go through the normal channels that you and I would go through to buy a DVD. For instance some of the studios were threatening to not sell DVDs to Red Box for the first 3 weeks, which would mean they would have to go out and buy the films at retail price if they wanted to have the films in their machines on release day. So it would make sense that Videoscan would not record non-retail sales.

Also some retailers aren't reported to videoscan such as Walmart and Amazon. Not sure why however.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by ahollis

THE HOBBIT is on target to start filming in June. The bids for MGM were due yesterday and it appears that there were no winning bids for everything. It is understood that Warner's will make an offer for the MGM's ownership of THE HOBBIT and it should be accepted. Off the subject, but it looks as if Fox will go after the Bond rights and get in a fierce battle for them with Sony.
That maybe true, if The Hobbit is an independant production and MGM is a distributor only. If they have funding from a source other than MGM they might be able to go ahead. However even then the film would be in limbo until the MGM sale is complete, assuming that the sale itself doesn't end up with legal issues. All I'm saying is that with this kind of thing its hard to say what will happen. Until a sale is on paper, we can't say for sure, and even then someone could sue to stop the sale.

I would be interesting to watch Fox and Sony battle it out for Bond. It would also be nice to see Bond have a stable corporate home for the first time in about 20 years.

Doug

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

That maybe true, if The Hobbit is an independant production and MGM is a distributor only. If they have funding from a source other than MGM they might be able to go ahead. However even then the film would be in limbo until the MGM sale is complete, assuming that the sale itself doesn't end up with legal issues. All I'm saying is that with this kind of thing its hard to say what will happen. Until a sale is on paper, we can't say for sure, and even then someone could sue to stop the sale.

I would be interesting to watch Fox and Sony battle it out for Bond. It would also be nice to see Bond have a stable corporate home for the first time in about 20 years.

Doug

Not only has Sir Ian McKellen confirmed that shooting on The Hobbit starts this summer, the film needs to start shooting soon due to rights reverting back to the Tolkien estates if it does not. Warner's also has a stake in the film financially (MGM needed the cash to get this off the ground) and I understand that they are fronting some money to get this going in hopes of swooping down and grabbing all rights if their overall bid is rejected. They also need to keep the talent together or they will take other jobs. Also after Warner's announcement at Showest this past week, if they do end up owning and distributing the films, expect them to be released in 3D.

The debt holders, if they reject all the bids, will quickly sell off the best assets. They want their money, what ever amount that will be. Also both Sony and Comcast have already written off their investment and are out of the picture, except for Sony sniffing around Bond. Personally, I would rather see Fox with Bond and not Sony.

You are correct in anything can happen and the above is speculation from inside MGM and Warner's.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
McKellan may have said there's a June start date, but New Line is still saying there isn't one yet:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118016611.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=hobbit

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

It's not just New Line double dipping or tripple dipping a title. I think most studios are guilty of it and there goal is to generate as much cash of any title they can. I do not like how they will offer and basic set of extras and 5.1 track, then they turn around add more extras and a better sound track and repackage it all over again. But then we as consumers need to accept blame on this as well because we keep buying the titles over and over again. This is why there are certain titles I will not buy until the include what I want! I will not buy Blu-ray disc that have the old weak Dolby Digital soundtrack on it! Heck I could get the same weak soundtrack on DVD, why would I want it on Bluray? The point is that studios should use lossless tracks, (Dolby True HD, DTS-HD MA or Uncompressed PCM). I allready own both versions of LOTR on DVD and I have no problem waiting for the EE of LOTR! New Line will want to make money off EE cuts so you know they release it, it's just a matter of time.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

First, I was one of the consumers who purchased the theatrical releases of the movies when they were first released to DVD.
You bought all three TEs? But Two Towers TE and Return of the King TE were released AFTER Fellowship of the Ring EE. Why would you knowingly buy TEs of the last two films at that point? Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Almost no one here is agreeing with you, and you've been shown ample evidence that a majority of people outside this forum don't agree with you either. Earlier in this thread, your complaints about being "tricked" by the release of the EEs, your belief that sales of the TE would be poor if the EE were known to be coming, and that the TEs were never good sellers could be seen as just lack of information. But so much evidence from the studios, consumers, and news sites has been provided (some of which you have actually agreed with at one point) that it's now 100% certain that you are lying, trolling, or both.

When you've just claimed that there was no evidence of the EEs coming for TTT and ROTK after the release of the FOTR EE, "obtuse" doesn't even begin to describe your actions. It's time for you to move on.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
They aren't, even though they could. I want the theatrical versions - they are the ones I am most likely to watch. I also want the extended versions. Since the extended versions won't be out until Jackson has time to work on them, there is no point holding back the theatrical versions.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

Since the extended versions won't be out until Jackson has time to work on them, there is no point holding back the theatrical versions.
I can think of one reason to hold back: if holding back meant that the "EEs" would have seamless branching and offer both versions, like the last DVD edition of the movies had.

I think I prefer the EEs, but I'm still hoping that we get the option when those come around.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Worth

McKellan may have said there's a June start date, but New Line is still saying there isn't one yet:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118016611.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=hobbit

I think I am going to go with McKellan on this one. New Line will not say a work until they have an announcement ready. McKellan more than likely has been contacted and a start date signed. He just let the cat out of the bag before New Line was ready.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Today's MGM statement on the bids it has received: “MGM said today it has received a number of bids as part of its ongoing process of exploring strategic alternatives, which include continuing to operate as a standalone entity and evaluating a potential sale of the Company. The Company will review the bids and related transaction terms over the next several weeks. As part of its efforts to strengthen its financial position and to facilitate the Company’s strategic review process, MGM also said today it expects to work with its lenders to extend the current forbearance period on its bank debt, which ends March 31, 2010. The Company also expects to seek a forbearance agreement for its revolving line of credit, for which a payment is due April 8. MGM appreciates the strong support it has received from its lenders throughout this process.” This afternoon Reuters reported that Lionsgate and Len Blavatnik's Access Industries made bids and that Time Warner was still considering one. It is not known if Time Warner submitted one by the close of today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks