What's new

LOTR - Alan Lee Custom Cover art (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings books. I have several copies of them, but by far my favorites are the Hardcovers illustrated by Alan Lee. They are just beautiful editions...

While I love the old book look of the Extended Editions (Though I wish they came in a real leather cover instead of a faux one) I thought it might be nice to try my hand at adapting the Alan Lee books to DVD covers

Here's what I came up with for FOTR...

Click here for bigger version

I kind of like it and may try it out myself. Although this is sized for a 4 disc case and I'm presently holding the Original 2 discer, 4 disc EE and the bonus disc in a custom 7 disc case that was scanned from the EE. So if I go with this style I'll probably expand it to the width of a 6/7 disc case as well.

Ric

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Nice work Ric.

I like the first two from Ang Lee. The one for ROTK is lacking though - hard to tell - need to see a bigger shot.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I may replace the back cover with another illustration from inside the book. I also may do the same for the front of Return of the King. I do want to keep it going with all paintings from Alan Lee though.

Also, instead of all the credits on the back, what if I put a description of the story in there? That may continue to give it more of the "book" look.

Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Y'know, I agree that the original EE packaging is pretty sweet. I did want to make something to hold both the EE and the Theatrical release in, and I was using the scan of the EE for awhile.

Anyway, I made a seven disc cover of the Alan Lee art as an alternative, and now I'll be using it.

Anyway here's the completed 6/7 disc cover...

Bigger version

I'll send it and the 4 disc version to DVD Cover Art and see if anyone else wants to use them. As you can see, I replaced the pic on the back with one of The Shire.

Ric

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I don't understand why you're not a professional graphic designer...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It may have a little something to do with the fact that I copy stuff that already exists! But thanks anyway Dave!

Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Heading out on vacation! I may continue with the others when I get back. Though DVD Cover art has a policy of not hosting covers for films that are not yet released. I can probably host them myself though if folks are interested.

Ric

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Excellent work! I like this one so much better than the current cover I have now! (Like you, I have a 6/7 disc case holding my theatrical release and EE DVDs (though only the 4-disc EE and am using the only 6/7 case cover from DVDCoverArt.com).

Am eargerly awaiting the day this shows up on DVDcoverart.com (as well as the TTT DVDs).

Just as an aside, I like your TNG covers so much that I have all seven of them printed out and lined up on my shelf, even though I don't (yet) own seasons 1 or 2. It just wouldn't look right with half the saucer missing!

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the other two covers.

Dave C.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Wow, never thought I'd see anything that would make me want to part with my EE box. Tempting... I'll have to wait and see how the TTT and ROTK EE's look next to FOTR :)

I just watched FOTR:EE tonight, and dang that gatefold case is rather annoying to juggle.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
very nice. I note that in Europe and Japan, they are not quite so afraid to make bold artistic choices in cover graphic design, whereas here, it is almost always based on commercial considerations, sometimes nice, mostly not.

Just one example-compare the BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF/Pact des Loupes covers on the Euro/Canadian covers vs the US cover art.

They may also choose to dispense with the sales propaganda quotes on the cover; ie: "The Years best film!" etc etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks