What's new

Lost: Season Six (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Why has Hugo gone all 6th Sense?
He's been doing that for a few seasons now. If I remember correctly, he and Miles even had a bit where they compared abilities.

It's good to see Cindy (I think) back. Hopefully she's around a lot more this season. Pseudo-Locke's chains comment seems to hint that Richard was a slave on the Black Rock. I got a kick out of how he beat him senseless.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
From the van visit on, I was thinking Jacob probably wanted to use Sayid's body ala the way Locke's is being used.
MIB never possessed Locke's body, he just took it's form.

anyways, AWESOME SEASON PREMIERE. i'm glad they didn't go all the way and map out what this season is going to be. we still don't know the reason the 2 alternate realities are being told. it's kind of a cliche that the 2 new major Others characters are made up 'just like that', and they were supposed to be here the whole time, but i'll get used to it.
it's surprising that Hurley still seems to have good/bad luck, as i thought the Island was at least indirectly the reason for how he got the numbers, which lead to the luck. if the Island is under the ocean, wouldn't the numbers have followed? I wonder if Desmond is with Penny in this reality, or even how Faraday is.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by ScottH

Did you watch Deadwood? He played Sol Star.

Nope, didn't watch that. I meant more that I thought I might've seen him before on this show anyway, but it's definitely very possible it could be from elsewhere.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Really enjoyed tonight's premiere. I'll post a few more thoughts after everyone has had a chance to watch.

Following the show, Cuse and Lindelof were on Jimmy Kimmel, which I never watch. I decided to tune in anyway, to watch the interview, and was pleasantly surprised by how into LOST Kimmel was. He was actually asking some pretty good questions. Of note, he asked, and I'm only loosely-quoting here, "it seems too obvious, but is Jacob possessing Sayid?" I'll post the response in a spoiler for those who don't want the answer (though keep in mind Cuse and Lindelof wouldn't actually spoil the show, me thinks:

They responded with something like "I wouldn't be so sure / *someone* might be in Sayid / over the course of the next few weeks you might be altering your theory" (they sort of talked over each other here)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I had to laugh when "Locke" gave credit to Locke for being the only one to realize that how pitiful and meaningless his pre-island life was: Uh... first, unlike the other castaways, Locke's life *was* pitiful by any standard. It takes no great insight or self-reflection or perspective to from him to see that, it's obvious to anyone with two eyes. Second, Locke did not want to stay on the Island because he independently acquired some great insight into the triviality of his pre-island life following the crash. He wanted to stay because he regained the use of his legs. His newfound faith in life and the Island was a direct result of that.

A wheelchair-bound Locke would have been the castaway the most eager for rescue; yeah his life sucked before but getting stuck on a ADA ramp-free jungle island is a whole new depth of misery. To hear "Locke", you would think Locke's great wisdom would've still shone through in those circumstances -- it wouldn't have.

His desire to stay on the Island is entirely a consequence of reacquiring the use of his legs. Any great insights into life, destiny etc... flows directly and solely from that. Similarly with Rose, who as far as I can remember, is the only other person who was not excited at the prospect of rescue.

Oddly, it turns out that getting spontaneously healed from incurable ailments by a place has a way of making people want to stick around that place.

Jack and the rest did not have the benefit of such a momentous, life-changing event like walking again, to suggest to them that it might be in their best interest to remain on the Island. They were no more blind than Locke and Rose were perceptive.

--
H

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just saw it =).

just wanted to post here so it can show up on the list of threads i frequent =). HTF'ers have been known to provide many great insights into Lost =).

i still like my BSG over Lost. but Lost is pretty entertaining. here's my contribution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_and_Trembling
^that's the book that Hurley picked up Crainte et tremblement in French (Rosseu's expedition guy would've carried the French translation of it obviously).

obviously you guys know that tiny references are actually very huge insights into what they're trying to say. i luv the juxtaposition of what the book is about vs. what just happened in the 2 episodes. reminds me a lot of man of mystery/faith and man of science episodes a few seasons back.

in some sense, that is kind of the core of this series. the ability to believe or not.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Paul McGowan /forum/thread/295107/lost-season-six/30#post_3657000

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Wow. Great premiere.

Personally...I think MiB/Esau/Nemesis/SmokeMonster is either Death, Pestilence, Destruction or maybe a combo of all of them. And Jacob is life. Remember the Egyptian portrait of Set calling forth Smokey? Certainly, the God of Death would control Death in such a way...

I don't know what 'home' he wants to go to...maybe having death 'trapped' on the island prevents him from running rampant across our earth. Dunno. But, I do think "nice to see you without those chains" means Richard is no longer immortal ('chains' of immortality). I also think that Smokey has been posing as Jacob and manipulating the Others for years inside the cabin. In fact, I believe the cabin was Smokey's prison and the reason Jacob's followers burned it down is because they could see that Smokey had escaped - because the ring of ash had been broken. Anyone want to bet that Ben was tricked into breaking it? I'd also bet that the reason women can't have babies on the island anymore is because Smokey is running free. I wonder if Smokey destroyed the statue of Tawaret?

I'm pretty certain the fountain/spring (of youth? yeah, probably) is dark because Jacob has died. But, is that Jacob inside Sayid? Seems too easy, and I think that would restrict Jacob too much. I think it's more likely Sayid is inhabited by either Christian or Locke.

I love the alternate timeline created by the blast. It's pretty clear that timeline is going to end really, really badly for all our players. Only the timeline where they fight for life/Jacob can redeem them.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Quentin

I'm pretty certain the fountain/spring (of youth? yeah, probably) is dark because Jacob has died. But, is that Jacob inside Sayid? Seems too easy, and I think that would restrict Jacob too much. I think it's more likely Sayid is inhabited by either Christian or Locke.

I love the alternate timeline created by the blast. It's pretty clear that timeline is going to end really, really badly for all our players. Only the timeline where they fight for life/Jacob can redeem them.
We know that the fountain was how Ben was healed from Sayid's shooting him . Originally, I would guess its healing powers worked more quickly which is why the guy first tested cutting himself and was disappointed, but decided to go ahead anyway.

I'm not sure that the new timeline is going to be bad for everyone. (And it should be better for at least some time for the ones who died on the island, but we might not see their fate.) They had a lot of personal growth on the island. We still might be surprised by what happens.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Justin_S

He's been doing that for a few seasons now. If I remember correctly, he and Miles even had a bit where they compared abilities.

I get that Hurley has been seeing dead people for awhile not, but until recently (now?) we didn't know if they were him being a bit crazy, him having visions, or actually conversing with dead people. At least I didn't. But my original question doesn't really focus on that. Instead, "Why has Hurley gone all 6th Sense?" suggests that we don't know why he has developed this ability.

"Sinking islands" always bother me because it plays into the notion that islands float on water. Islands can't "sink" per se because beneath the surface earth of an island is.. more earth.

Can anyone give me a quick reminder of the origin of the others? In '77, there was Dharma, but there were also the people outside of Dharma, like Daniele Faraday's mother. I believe Daniel Faraday's mother (as well as Widmore) was an original other. They do not seem to have anything to do with the people in the temple. Ben did once say the rest of the people were at the temple. Actually, he may have said they were "going to" the temple. We've seen people in the underground temple before, but never coming through to the other side and seeing another temple.

Watching the scenes last night, it's difficult to believe that Ben was in charge of all these people at some point in the near past. The Japanese guy was obviously in control, and seems to have been for a long time. When he gave the order to shoot, you'd think Ben would have at least mentioned a few people by name and asked them not to. Still, the abducted tailie was in the temple.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

"Sinking islands" always bother me because it plays into the notion that islands float on water. Islands can't "sink" per se because beneath the surface earth of an island is.. more earth.

Can anyone give me a quick reminder of the origin of the others? In '77, there was Dharma, but there were also the people outside of Dharma, like Daniele Faraday's mother. I believe Daniel Faraday's mother (as well as Widmore) was an original other. They do not seem to have anything to do with the people in the temple. Ben did once say the rest of the people were at the temple. Actually, he may have said they were "going to" the temple. We've seen people in the underground temple before, but never coming through to the other side and seeing another temple.
But the island moves so it would seem likely that it floats on the surface rather than being a normal island rising from the ocean floor.

As for The Others, I don't think there's a reason to think there's a difference between the ones that you see in The Temple and the ones that are running around the jungle or living in the barracks. Maybe The Others at The Temple feel like they're more "in tune" with the island because they live there (rather than living in the Dharma-made barracks) but it seems like they're all Others.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
A terrific premiere. The most interesting aspect of the shift sideways was that Desmond was on the plane. I wonder if he is going to serve as a constant for all of the Oceanic passengers in an attempt to reconcile their timelines.

Also interesting were Jack's seeming deja vu and the mark on his neck. It seemed as if he's retained some awareness/marking from the other reality.
Watching the scenes last night, it's difficult to believe that Ben was in charge of all these people at some point in the near past. The Japanese guy was obviously in control, and seems to have been for a long time. When he gave the order to shoot, you'd think Ben would have at least mentioned a few people by name and asked them not to.
Ben wasn't at the temple, he was still on the beach with Richard, Sun, the smoke monster, et al.

Originally Posted by Holadem

In fact, I believe the cabin was Smokey's prison and the reason Jacob's followers burned it down is because they could see that Smokey had escaped - because the ring of ash had been broken. Anyone want to bet that Ben was tricked into breaking it?
I'm not sure if the ash circle was keeping the smoke monster in or out. The cabin confuses me because of all of the time jumping. We've obviously seen the smoke monster from the very beginning of the show, but we've seen the cabin both with the ash circle intact, and while broken. Does anyone remember off-hand if we saw the circle intact in the same timeframe in which we'd seen the smoke monster freely moving about?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tim Gerdes

I'm not sure if the ash circle was keeping the smoke monster in or out. The cabin confuses me because of all of the time jumping. We've obviously seen the smoke monster from the very beginning of the show, but we've seen the cabin both with the ash circle intact, and while broken. Does anyone remember off-hand if we saw the circle intact in the same timeframe in which we'd seen the smoke monster freely moving about?
After seeing them start to dump the ash around The Temple, I think that the ash keeps the monster out. In other words, the cabin had ash around to keep the smoke monster out of it and not to keep the monster inside an area.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There's something totally satisfying about having LOST back again. As someone mentioned earlier, it's the only
show I have ever stopped doing everything else while
watching. I am just riveted to the screen each week.

I mean, really, so good to have this show back.

Great premier.

Just happened to catch the last 15 minutes of
the recap show. If I understood correctly, I had
no idea that the guy that Jacob was talking to on
the beach (in the scene where we first meet Jacob)
was his nemesis (referred to as the "man in black")
and the one that would find the "loophole" and take
over Locke's body in order to kill him.

...at least that is what the recap show inferred.

The big rumor prior to the start of this season was
that everyone would land in LA safely, not knowing
each other. This came to be true, but it's interesting
that there's this alternate reality. Something tells me
the alternate reality is the real one since Juliette
whispered in death, "It worked!" Finally, this show doesn't cease to choke me up
at moments. Loved the exchange between Locke
and Jack at the airline claims office about his father
and the fact that he didn’t' lose him. Just a real
choke-up moment.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
16more eps to go! =D.

oh and no1 commented on the CG work yet... it's the same poor quality rendering as the polar bears and many other CG used liberally throughout the series. i mean i know it's a TV Budget... but c'mon it's a money maker!!! and BSG has already done mucho better fx w/limited budget as well =P. how about stargate, same thing.

though those TV series probably spent most of the money towards fx vs. actor's salaries. i imagine this cast's salary summed up is pretty substantial!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JediFonger

oh and no1 commented on the CG work yet... it's the same poor quality rendering as the polar bears and many other CG used liberally throughout the series. i mean i know it's a TV Budget... but c'mon it's a money maker!!! and BSG has already done mucho better fx w/limited budget as well =P.
No one probably commented on because they all understand that Battlestar Galactica can spend more money on CG models because they'll use them over and over. This was one shot that will never be seen again so there's no way that they can double the budget of an episode to make a 15 or 20 second shot look realistic.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty clear that time line is going to end really, really badly for all our players. Only the time line where they fight for life/Jacob can redeem them.

I've seen some discussions of parallel or alternate realities. One thought is deja vu is when the two parallels touch giving a glimpse into the other. When I get deja vu I think is this what's happening.

I think perhaps the two realities will continue to exist until one point in time or an event like the bomb will force the realities together where they will stick like that to become one or the 'now'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks