What's new

Lost: Season Four (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
right not exactly the same. Poor wording on my part.

I woulda say this is evidence of making it up as going along.
We just didn't need to see that side of it before.
that stuff wasn't integral to the prwvious version.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well it wouldn't be the first time. Remember the Paulo and Nikki episode last season where they went back and inserted them into a bunch of the first season episode scenes?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Even when writers have an overarching plan, they cannot have every detail spec'ed out at the outset. So I wouldn't call that "evidence of making it up as they go along." They may have known before even the series aired that they would have to make Ben lust after Juliet at some point, without knowing exactly how. I am not saying that is what happened, I am saying that the there is no way to tell.

Not picking on you are anything :P

On the other hand, a series that is plotted with an extreme level of details is Heroes. The first season was a marvel of tight storytelling. I've never seen anything like it.

--
H

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
OK, I just had a thought that is probably waaaaay of base and would make no sense at all, but i'll just throw it out there anyway.

Remember waaay back in season 1, when in Jin's flashback, he went to some Korean dudes house to beat the crap out of him, and the dude's daughter was watching TV. Well on the TV was a scene of Hurley, in what looked like he was getting arrested or something and put into a cop car. (Memory's a little faded on this). I remember thinking, 'OK what did he do to get arrested? Why is he even featured on a Korean TV channel? He'd have to be a celebrety or something.', will we ever find out?

Now think back to the first scene of this current season. :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, well I said it doesn't make sense...

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I don't recall that Hurley was getting arrested. I thought it was just coverage of him winning the lottery, but it's been a while. The problem with that line of thought, though, is we were specifically shown that it was Jin's first assignment as a goon for Sun's father. So it couldn't have been Hurley's flash-forward arrest from this season because the reason Jin left Korea was to escape his father in law's influence and de-goon himself. (I love making up words. :) )

Louis C

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I remember that. That one, and again last week with Goodwin's wife. It felt a bit contrived. The Paulo and Nikki one was a bit more believable. Because of all the people running around amidst the chaos of the plane wreck, it seemed more plausible they were not seen.

This time it's a suburban lawn. I am pretty sure Harper was not standing next to Goodwin in the season 3 opener. It is TV and I'll grant a little leeway, but this one is pushing the limits of my tolerance.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Retconning doesn't bother me at all as long as it's organic. The attempt to insert Paulo and Nikki felt heavy handed to me, but the Goodwin effort hit on all cylinders here.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Not positive it was season one, but the scene with Jin reluctantly pummeling the guy on his first assignment clearly had Hurley on the TV in the background.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I recall seeing this as well. At least I thought it was Hurley. At least it's testable. What is the name of the episode? I own the first three seasons on DVD, and would be happy to check if I knew the episode name for certain. Was it by chance ... In Translation?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Paul,

Thanks for posting that. This is the segment I was thinking of as well (Hurley winning the lottery).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cue conspriacy theories about them firing Daniel Dae Kim because he got hit with DUI. :)

Based on the commercials which said they'd reveal the Oceanic 6, I would assume that Jin is one of the Oceanic 6 but died after. However, his tombstone looked like (I can't read Korean) that it read that he died on September 22, 2004 (the day of the crash) so maybe he isn't.

For those watching too hard, Expose (the TV show that Nikki was a guest star on) was on Sun's TV dubbed in Korean.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This could have been a decent episode. But to find out that the whole Panda business was SHOEHORNED into the episode for a cheap "twist" is just too much. This show is usually good at misdirection, but that was just horrible. How much of the episode run time was completely wasted on on Panda-Jin? The whole thing was so stupid it killed what should have been a poignant ending. I can actually picture the writers patting themselves on the back for being so clever -- no, that was just contrived and stupid guys (and please spare me the "that segment might be relevant in the future" line, I don't care, Right now it is just a CHEAP device for a manufactured "twist".)

Worst episode in a long long time, I actually feel insulted :thumbsdown:.

--
H

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure it said 9/22/2004.

Me too, what I didn't like about Jin's flashback is that it was only used to try and trick the audience because there was no real character payoff about Jin, besides just getting more info on Jin being a glorified carrier for his boss. I knew there was something off about Jin because he was back to being a-hole Jin, and his cell phone was pretty clunky and old-looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks