What's new

Lost season 3 discussion.... (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hoo boy. Again I feel like I am getting a different show than most here. Great episode and once again the series does not stand pat and moves in a new direction.

Why didn't Jack hire a PI? Because he was obsessed. Anyone picking up on any of this? Also, besides screwing up his marriage he also is responsible for starting his father drinking again and setting off the events that ultimately lead to his father's demise.

What Stephen King book was the reading group discussing? My money is on Carrie.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It didn't look like any copy of Carrie I've ever seen. I was hoping for one of the Dark Tower books, but couldn't really tell.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i've been saying that jack's dad hias something very important to do with this whole thing,

but, i feel stupid
i just realized his name is CHRISTIAN SHEPHARD
THERe has to be something to that

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
My twin brother asked for the Season 2 DVD set for our birthday a couple of weeks back. He said it was good, so, to night I sat down and watched the Season 3 opener. Wow. Just wow. Great HD photography. A nicely weird story. And yet I don't what the fsck is going on... Maybe I should get the season 1 and 2 sets for myself. In the meantime, is there any sort of gentle explanation of say, the zoo? Or Dharma? What's Dharma? Does the narrative technique involve hallucinations, or just flashbacks? So many questions....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is not the show to just drop in smack-dab in the middle. Go, seek out those season 1 and 2 DVD sets, and get caught up, and then come back!

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I saw three different versions of Carrie in various people's hands. Having a high-def DVR makes that much easier to see.

I was as disappointed with the premiere as I have been with the show for the last season and a half, but I keep tuning in like a sucker...

My biggest disappointment? She reaches into the CD rack and I immediately recognize the CD case as the Talking Heads album Speaking in Tongues. Then the music starts and it's "Downtown"???? Awwwwww. Not fair. I wonder if they intended it to be a Talking Heads song but they couldn't acquire the rights. I'd suspect "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)" or perhaps "Slippery People".

Brad

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Interesting episode...

However...they said this season wasn't going to focus on the "mythology/mystery" as much.

However, they just added at least a dozen more items to think about to the "mythology/mystery" angle of the show. Stinkers.

It was a good ep. I figured Jack's dad was having an affair with Sarah, which would have explained the extreme angst we've seen both Jack and his Dad suffer.

My wife turned to me at the end and said, "I don't know if I can follow these people's lives for another season. I have too much going on in life to have to worry about these people's lives." ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I enjoyed it. How good was Kate looking tonight? Maybe it's the four months without her, but my answer is "very."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I kept asking why didn't Jack ask Juliet who they were, why they were doing what they were doing. Obviously Ben wanted to break them for some reason.

It was quite gratifying to see Jack grab Juliet and make the escape attempt.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
fantastic episode!! I want more! the 13 week hiatus this christmas will be killer, I can tell already.

Jeremy, trust me in that you don't want any of us explaining Dharma and the 'Zoo'

1. We wouldn't do it even close to justice
2. You're best off to get the season sets and watch them. Tivo season 3 and don't watch or read these threads until you're caught up.
3. The entire set from this episode is brand new, so your guess is as good as mine re: the zoo.

When you're ready, come back and we'll more than help clear up anything you still have gaps with - at least, if we can...

Have fun with it - you're in for a great ride!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ok, I'm not getting the whole Stephen King deal. Maybe I missed a post, but why are you all thinking that it was a Stephen King book they were reading?? My first thought was that it was "Bad Twin" but of couse, that wouldn't really fit into the time line.

As for the name game...Christian told Ana to call him "Tom" which we now know is the name of Mr. Smiley/Zeke. He wanted to call her "Sarah" which was Jack's wife's name. Hurley's imaginary friend is Dave; Libby's dead husband is David. Of course, I have no idea what this all means, I'm just saying it.

Wild show though...my assumption up to now had been that the others expected the plane to crash and had some foreknowledge of what was to come. This episode seems to confirm they did not.

As for "Speaking in Tongues"...yah it was definitely that CD case, but that's a rather minor point really. If this is what you want to quibble about, maybe watch a different show. :P I doubt there is any significance to that.

The first 5 minutes rocked more than the rest of the episode so far, but I'm intrigued by the fact that they seem to be alluding to the animal research on the island.

I'm starting to think the whole "Christian Shepherd" thing is a big fat red herring. This guy is just a total tool. Has he been shown to ever have done anything of usefullness or significance so far? No, he just keeps on being a jackass.

It was kinda cool to see "Henry", Goodwin and Ethan all together at the same time. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

King's name could clearly be seen on several of the books they were holding. The guy who complained about the selection (or somebody in the room--I think it was him) was holding a 1st edition Carrie. And, when Henry/Ben talked with Juliet outside, she was holding a King paperback.

The implication of that scene seemed to be that the other Others are terrified of Henry/Ben. "You picked a book that Ben wouldn't even read in the bathroom?!" His, "I guess I'm out of your book club" was a little sinister, and it may have been why she drew aquarium duty and he was unconcerned about her possible death. That would make him a little unhinged, but that's probably the point.

Really enjoyed Sawyer working out the bear cage. It reminded me of a cross between an online logic game and the scene in the Infocom version of Hitchhiker's Guide where the player had to figure out how to get a babel fish.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Flashing back to the beginning with the "Downtown" song, it showed a close up of Juliet's face as the song started. She seemed to almost break down before she caught herself and started rearranging the house. What was she broken up about??

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Yeah, for a second at the beginning when she was crying, I thought that was still Penny from the finale of Season 2, before I realized it was a different person.

RobbyMy

Auditioning
Real Name
Robby Myers
Alright, so the others live in houses in some sort of small community on the island. The showed what happened as the plane crashed. The fake henry gale is actually named Ben and is the leader of the others. Jack is locked up under in the "hydra" dharma hatch which was for sharks and dolphins. We meet Juliette. She offers to bring Jack food and when she does he attacks her. Ben shows up when Jack tells her to open a door. Ben says is she opens it they all die. Jack throws her down and opens it himself. Ben runs and closes a door as Juliette can get to it. The door opens and water floods the facility. Juliette and Jack close themselves in a room and Juliette tells Jack to press a button to drain the water. As he does she knocks him out with a punch.....Sawyer woke up in a cage that was used for bears. Across from him was someone else that was on the plane. That other guy picked the lock then got sawyer out but they were stopped Sawyer was locked up again and the other guy was taken away. Kate wakes up in a locker room and is told to shower and wear a dress so she can have breakfast with Ben. Afterwards she is put in the cage that the other guy was in....Flashbacks were about Jack and his divorce. He went nuts trying to find out who she cheated on him with. Even accused his dad of sleeping with her. His dad was going to AA meetings and was 50 days sober. Jack followed him to a meeting accused him then fought with him which landed Jack in jail. His ex wife bails him out and calls him a cab because JAcks father called her almost too drunk to understand.

Also: Did anyone else notice if the patient in jack's flashback is "Mr Friendly" aka the Other with the deep voice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks