What's new

LOST Season 3 - Dec. 11 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

I'm also inclined to believe that by 2011, they'll work out the pricing more effectively :)

Loving my Weeds Blus, which is my first (complete so far) series on BD. Particularly like the price point that LionsGate has them at.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

LOL, if BD+ was the reason for the postponements, I doubt it'll happen again. If BD+ fails, there's nothing else to wait for.

Gotta say though, this'll make for a great purchase when I pick up my BR player in the same timeframe, by then I should have the HD-DVD Heroes season almost payed off ;)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'm all over this when it's released. I'm split on whether it seems priced too high, I mean, after the Star Trek TOS Season 1 HD pricing everything else is starting to look cheap.

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
I have two questions of great importance:

1. Since Amazon decided not to stock enough copies and send me a "You'll get it after Christmas" delaymail instead, I need to know this: Is the Canadian box bilingual or is it identical to the US?

2. Does anyone know whether it is Code A or region-free? Could someone try it out, maybe? Would be great.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
My box has the Region A symbol on it.

I'm also going to return mine to Best Buy for a replacement. The only disc in the set that will load reliably on my PS3 is Disc 2. The others nearly always hang when it tries to load the java (I'm guessing) menu, though it will play the video previews and warnings prior to the menu fine.

I hope this is a case of just some bad discs, which I'm used to with TV sets, though never this magnitude where only one disc in the entire set will play. I hope it's not an issue the set has with PS3s period.

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
That doesn't sound too good...please keep us informed.

Meanwhile, disregard my first question....but if anyone hears anything about region coding, do tell. (I know about the "A" symbol but that doesn't mean anything definitive, as we all know...) So if anyone has a Blu-ray drive in his computer which he could temporarily change to Code B for testing....

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
The outer box on this set is nice, but of the six copies I found at Best Buy yesterday, 5 had nasty scrapes on the spine. The sixth had something else. I popped into another BB on the way home and only found 3 copies, none of which were free from scrapes or dings.

Going to have to keep looking. Yes, I am anal, but not excessively so - the defects were easy to see.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Just an update on getting working discs. I got a replacement set from Best Buy but it was exhibiting the same problems. It was suggested to me that people were seeing similar behavior from POTC:AWE on the PS3 and people have been resolving it by changing their 1080p/24Hz setting. I had my PS3 set to 24Hz On. I changed it to Automatic and it was a bit less flakey loading the discs, but still refused to load a few of the discs and wasn't reliable in starting some of the others.

Then, I completely turned the 24Hz option off and I was able to play every single disc in the set without problems.

I'm wondering if this is some consistent fault with the PS3 implementation of 24Hz or if it is something in the way Disney is authoring these discs (since both POTC and Lost are Buena Vista releases). In either case, it would be nice if the issue could get sorted out because I'd prefer to playback Lost in 24Hz since my display does support it.

Still, it is good to know I can get them to play and won't be on an endless quest of returning sets endlessly back to the store.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sean,

thanks for pointing this all out. This is a good issue for us to monitor... the 24p thing with BV discs. I wish my display would accept 24p so I could check it out myself. Since BV is aware of the problem with POTC I think it's a good sign if the problem is on their authoring side they'll fix it.

Oh... and one thing about LOST... it's shot on 24p film, but edited in HD video. It's possible it's not really "24p" after it comes out of the editing booth... but maybe it's sloppy and ends up being a combination of 24p and 60i... something that looks ok when everthing clocks at 60 but that can get messy at 24? Just thinking outloud.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I received the review BD copy of LOST on Tuesday, but I'm in the midst of another TV series box set right now and won't get to LOST until the weekend. I'll be sure to keep myself primed for what might occur. My HDTV does accept 1080p/24 and had no problems with POTC: AWE in that setting via the PS3.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I have yet to actually try POTC:AWE myself as I've made it a Christmas present, so I can't say whether my PS3 will be having difficulties with that disc yet.

If it makes any difference mine is a launch 20GB PS3, though I've replaced the 20GB harddrive with a 120GB. It also has the latest firmware - as of last night anyway.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Just picked this up on BD as an Xmas present from my parents (who are unwise in such things and leave the details to me). Of course, I had to check it out to make sure any disk problems noted above didn't exist on my copy. :)

This looks simply amazing on my system (1080i CRT and PS3). This is why I got into home theater in the first place. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks