What's new

Lost Season 1 ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Are we sure that the Korean couple are actually a couple? Maybe she's a indentured(sp?) servant or something.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I thought that the woman was his daughter... The Asian "couple" was just a father/daughter on a trip. The show looks very promising. Books like Robinson Crueso and Lord of the Flies have always interested me, so this is up my alley. I notice a lot of similar things, like "a beast" in the woods, a split in the tribe, etc

Ryan

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I saw it too and liked it better than I thought that I would.

As for the beast, what kind of animal could land the captain up in that tree? The beast hasn't made any sounds at all either, and from what I saw (ok, didn't see), it must be about 20' high. The beast wasn't hungry either, just destructive.

My only conclusion was that thing from the Predator movie, only bigger. It is going to cut the cast down in no time at all.

...and they will be running out of food soon too. It will be interesting to see how they get enough to feed that many - if they stick together as one tribe.

As for the plane itself, I thought they all had GPS's on them now, but it could have been destroyed. And curiously, no one has a sat phone. Oh well, I'll wait and see if this is going to work.

Glenn

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith

This show was called Amazon. All I remember is that it had Fabiana Udenio, C. Thomas Howell, and Carol Alt, with the survivors dealing with all kinds of things, human and not.

Here is the IMDb.com link:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0205737/

This show was the first thing that came to mind after I saw Lost.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Scientific, schmientific. I like mysterious monsters in the woods. :D

I trust Abrams - unlike the vast majority of drama creators, he has a firm overall plot and plan in mind. While we may lament that the 3rd season of Alias went off course, the first two seasons represent nearly 50 hours of show that was consistently and tightly plotted (unlike, say, The X-Files, which continually tripped over its own conspiracy twists).

What will hook me or drive me away will be the characters, though. While the scenario is cool, I have to care about the people we're watching. They have three strong leads, so it looks to be starting out well in that department. It's great to see Matthew Fox again, and even greater to see that he's more than a one-character actor; this doctor is light-years different from Charlie on Party of Five.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
In the interest of fairness, the wheels did not come off of the X-Files wagon until well after its third season. If Abrams has already lost the thread of the show, then he is well ahead of Chris Carter's schedule. :)

For the record, I liked "Lost" quite a bit, I am curious to see how it plays out, and I am particularly perplexed by those who have been critical of the performances, which I thought were surpisingly good by all involved.

Regards,

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Why is it curious no one has a Sat phone? i dont own one. How many people really do?

capt

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Nor have they seen any footprints. Which leads me to believe that it's a creature, or group of creatures, that mostly moves through the trees.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor

maybe the chicken that got away from Twila (Survivor Vanuatu) will end up on the side of the island where the "lost" cast is located! lol.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My bizarre and completely unprobable idea about where the survivors are:

Maybe the survivors are not really survivors. But, in a pergatory between the living and the dead.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn - I actually mentioned "Predator" to my wife after the show was over. My guess is that the dog is morphing into a 30' tall Predator at certain times ;). They can't see it, its viscious, and makes unearthly sounds.

As for footprints - I was under the impression they haven't looked for them (at least it was not mentioned). My first reaction when I saw that something huge(?) was moving around close to the beach was "wait for it to go away and then go look for footprints so you might understand what is out there". The one time where Kate(?) was looking at the bottle dropped on the ground by the doctor (after the 'chase') I thought they were going to zoom out for a footprint shot. Oh well.

OT

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

I wasn't speaking of the show as a whole, merely that while Carter talked a good game about always knowing where the show was going and the specifics of the alien conspiracy, it was evident early on he was flying by the seat of his pants. I own XF seasons 1-6, so I'm speaking from a fan's point of view! Abrams actually seems to know where the story is going and why; I've read interviews with cast members and they remark the Abrams has even references events or plot lines for 2-3 seasons away: he's planning, and he knows how to make TV filled with pertinent details that aren't just throway macguffins.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
About the phone. Ok, I'm not exactly sure why. Here in the states we don't need them, but those towers aren't up everywhere yet. If they were headed to Suva, Fiji (I think), cell phones won't work, and (this stretches the plot a little), the only people going to Suva are going to have to have more than just a few extra bucks in their pockets.

It's sort of like, "well, I'll go on vacation, but call me if anything goes wrong." I know that right after Iraq was 'freed' last year, sat phones were the hottest seller.

Of course, if and when they do find any the battery will have run out. Where's the Energizer Bunny when you want him?

Glenn

Robin Warren

Second Unit

I agree with this. Where exactly were the weak performances? The main female lead was excellent, Dominic Monaghan was solid, and I thought all the supporting characters were well done. To be fair, I don't think we have seen enough of the fringe characters to really judge them, but from the snippets that they have shown, they do seem solid.

Jeeze, I just don't get the criticism on this show. Sure its not wholly original but its not exactly a clone that we are usually being forced to watch. C'est la vie.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree. I found the acting, the action, and the characters to be very well done.

I think the show has a lot of directions it can go in, and the primary focus seems to make you think about these people before just throwing them into situations of terror. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. Definitely an amazing piece of television, and on my must see list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks