What's new

Lost scenes from METROPOLIS (1927) rediscovered ! (1 Viewer)

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
Sensational discovery in Buenos Aires: Lost scenes from “Metropolis” rediscovered

Staff members of the Museo del Cine Pablo C. Ducros Hicken in Buenos Aires, found the missing scenes which had been considered lost up to now, in a 16mm Negative.

Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung > news

Someone should look for the complete Magnificent Ambersons in Buenos Aires ;)

A longer article about the discovery:
“Metropolis": Key scenes from the famous movie rediscovered | Nachrichten auf ZEIT online

and a gallery: Film: The revival of Metropolis | Nachrichten auf ZEIT online

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Proof that miracles do happen. A little disappointed it's 16mm since it'll contrast with the high quality 35mm in the '01 restoration, but at least it exists. It's amazing to think it's been sitting there all this time.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
If the 16mm negative was directly off of 35mm material and not a dupe, it may yield an image as good. The quality is entirely circumstantial, of course.

Murnau-Stiftung needs a better English translator. That press release was incomprehensible.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
WOW...I just can't believe it...one of the MAJOR HOLY GRAILS OF CINEMA has been found. The most exciting filmic find in I don't know how long...when's the last time something of this magnitude turned up?

I wonder how long it'll take to complete the restoration and put it on DVD/Blu-Ray/InterActive Mind Beam/Whatever...

I'm salivating at the thought of finally being able to see a complete version of METROPOLIS. And, Kino, youse had bettuh do a native NTSC transfer and not overcompress it this time, or else... :)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Exciting news.
Now we'll have to be patient, and watch for further developments. That's the hard part.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Awesome, amazing news!!!

It seems to me that since the Blu-ray release was only mentioned a few weeks ago, and since they have obviously known about these elements for a while and were just waiting to confirm everything was there, that the BD for 2009 may indeed be the full restoration. I mean, they're saying that they will be restoring it and making it available for consumers, so it only makes sense.

I really think South America has the greatest potential to find more lost films. It seems that only in the last 15 years or so have they been able to better catalog what is actually down there in the archives. With so many prints going there during the 1920s-1940s without needing to be returned the possibilities for more great discoveries are there.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
This is fabulous. First Blade Runner and now the progenitor of Blade Runner (and of so much more). I can't hardly wait.

In related news...anyone want to buy a robot? The Evil Maria, licensed recreation, from Fred Burton Productions. Only $7,500.

Gotta love the way they included a close up of her butt. :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Maybe there is a lost print of The Magnificent Ambersons somewhere in South America! Lost Metropolis is exciting news especially when it is verified by so many sources. I can wait to see it.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
WHAT?!?! Oh my God this is such exciting news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

If there was one "lost" film, (or a film with lost scenes) that I'd wish to be discovered, it would be Metropolis.
I am truly thrilled!

Maybe someday they'll find Theda Bara's 'Cleopatra' and London After Midnight. ;-)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
after reading that is there hope that the full complete 210 min berlin premier cut still exist, i have had the Kino on my wish list for some time, but never got around to it, no here is to holding out hope, that this added missing footage can be used to completely tell the story , that none of us have truly ever seen.

The other problem that i have with this silent is the frame rate, that is sort of an issue on this, because at times it looks as if its running to fast,

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This is amazing news. It will be fascinating to see how things that seem nonsensical now will play out in the intended version. It does look like the print is in pretty rough shape but better than than not at all, which is how we've been seeing the film for the last 80 years.

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
I have bought the german magazine with the exclusive story and just read it. It's a long story, they printed a large number of frames and described several lost scenes.

The film copy from Argentina has spanish intertitles and is not complete. But the experts think that most of the missing material has been rediscovered.

Edit:

According to Martin Koerber only one scene is missing. Read his comment

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Hopefully they will fix the frame rate problem, and that last missing scene will show up, did the latest showing in the article give the run time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks