What's new

LOST HORIZON 1973 - The Complete Version (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Rarely is there a release I just HAVE TO HAVE as soon as possible, but from the moment that Sony announced LOST HORIZON (1973) was coming to DVD in its original version, I knew I would probably be ordering it with One Day delivery.
Well, I did order it with One Day delivery. It hasn't arrived or even shipped yet, but to be fair the WBShop website said it would ship within 3 days...
Has anyone received their copy yet? I'm curious what all is actually included.
I'll post as soon as I receive mine.
Chuck

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Hey Chuck, I was wondering if you were on this!

I'm very much looking forward to hearing someone's review.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Amazon, has it as unavailable - But I received a message from Amazon last week saying the release date was moved up. Still not shipped

Has it been postponed?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/315277/lost-horizon-1973-the-complete-version#post_3857877
Amazon, has it as unavailable - But I received a message from Amazon last week saying the release date was moved up. Still not shipped

Has it been postponed?
Warner Archive still has it up for sale and my order Monday is still in process. Usually it does not ship until Friday after the order. If it ships, I'll let you know.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Having produced the laserdisc version of this, I would love toknow whats onit - particularly if this is in stereo or not.
Sony specs do not say.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Joe - I still have that exceptional laserdisc and I am anxious to compare the two. Thanks for giving us a heck of a standard to use to compare.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I immediately ordered this on Amazon and got an email back saying that it was not available and that they would keep trying to get it until early November.
I too have the excellent laserdisc edition and have played it many times -- as far as I can tell, all the surviving songs dropped from the premiere version and included on the laserdisc are in the new dvd edition. Don't know if this footage has been restored or not as it was pretty hoary even on the laserdisc, although the sound was fine. It seems there will be vintage promotional footage included on this release, although as it was shown in 70mm, I'll be intrigued by the movie's aspect ratio when it comes out.
The movie isn't as bad as it's reputation suggests, but the producers were wise to drop the songs they did before sending the movie out on general release -- I felt very sorry for Peter Finch and Liv Ulmann coping with "If I Can Go Back" and can imagine the audience reaction at the premiere. Both Peter Finch and Bobby Van steal the movie, but there are good things throughout for fans of the post-Sound of Music '65-75 era studio musicals -- many see them as elephantine and over produced, but I find most of them odd but interesting.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Caps /t/315277/lost-horizon-1973-the-complete-version#post_3857893
Having produced the laserdisc version of this, I would love toknow whats onit - particularly if this is in stereo or not.
Sony specs do not say.
Joe - here is a quote from the Sony announcement.

This fully restored extended version, with a length of 149 minutes, includes deleted musical numbers not previously seen and sequences restored from the original roadshow version of the film, featuring a newly remixed 5.1 stereo soundtrack. Also included in this sought-after DVD release are original song demos performed by Burt Bacharach (with photo gallery) and special vintage featurettes

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Finally watched the "Fertility Dance" ( What were they thinking?...but brought a great big campy smile on my face)....first time in 39 years! Yup I just got the DVD of LOST HORIZON. Looks great..all the smog is clearly visible. It's in stereo 5.1 Special features A 36 min Ross Hunter Short
Original Trailers and TV spots
A 10 minute short "Ross Hunter on His Way to Shangri La
Alternate scene- "I Come To You"
This campy...awful film...always puts a smile on my face. I'm so glad it's uncut version is out on DVD! I watch and smile for 150 minutes tonight when I watch it in its entirety!

Charles H

Screenwriter
I had the old LD of LOST HORIZON and I vaguely remember a Director (Charles Jarriott) commentary?

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
No commentary Charles, not even the trailer--the lost songs put back in were enough, believe me.
I don't think the director or any of the stars would want to be involved in any kind of looking back as it was pretty much something everyone wanted to forget -- except a lot of those who saw this version as kids (like myself) and never forgot how good it looked in 70mm (to us anyway) and thought the songs left in the picture were fine.
I remember the performances of the cast and how they made a great impression--I saw the Frank Capra version, naturally a much darker take on the story, and probably the first 40 or so minutes of this remake keeps that same tension -- once the singing starts, it's 'Sound of Music' until a trip back into the snow for the pictures' last third.
I'm in Australia and if this ever gets a local release, it will be a miracle (even with Burt Bacharach touring down here next April), but it was a big hit here -- played for 6 months on average in the main theatres -- hopefully one day it will be on sale, other than MOD availability.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
FINALLY got my copy - and not from WBshop.com (still says "in process" after an entire week - geez!). I got it from Amazon.com on an order I tried to cancel - glad I didn't now!
The picture looks terrific. Only just scanning through, but it is 2.0 and doesn't even sound like stereo - Dolby Pro-Logic decoding had everything go to the center channel on the one musical scene I've seen so far.
Watching infamous fertility dance sequence now. Hot guys in Mowgli's costume from Disney's THE JUNGLE BOOK. :)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
6920587f_LOSTHORIZONSONY00001.jpeg

68c29dc0_LOSTHORIZONSONY00002.jpeg

6f7fb1d9_LOSTHORIZONSONY00003.jpeg

07d1b408_LOSTHORIZONSONY00004.jpeg

aa89078f_LOSTHORIZONSONY00005.jpeg

3c3ca5c0_LOSTHORIZONSONY00006.jpeg

d4dd8879_LOSTHORIZONSONY00007.jpeg

701a415a_LOSTHORIZONSONY00008.jpeg

1f5e4f7c_LOSTHORIZONSONY00009.jpeg

baeff667_LOSTHORIZONSONY00010.jpeg

f4e9ea21_LOSTHORIZONSONY00011.jpeg

074d2a53_LOSTHORIZONSONY00012.jpeg

470f012e_LOSTHORIZONSONY00013.jpeg

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
kagemusha98 said:
It's in stereo 5.1
Um, nope. It is Dolby Digital 2.0 and sounds like mono to me. It has no where near the channel separation and breadth of the Laserdisc sound. *sigh* Time to make a hybrid I guess....

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
It is obvious that 20 years of technological advancements have resulted in an image far better on DVD than was possible on the Laserdisc release. However, what about the sound?
Here is the "Share the Joy" number from Laserdisc and then the new DVD. You tell me.
http://gallery.me.com/cpenningtoniii#100214

mercyflight

Agent
Real Name
Paul Scrabo
Just got my copy, and was getting ready to simulate a roadshow experience,,,,,,and found out the film is not presented in stereo!!! What a shame! What happened??
Paul

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
mercyflight said:
Just got my copy, and was getting ready to simulate a roadshow experience,,,,,,and found out the film is not presented in stereo!!! What a shame! What happened??
Paul
I'd like to know that as well, Paul. Why go to so much trouble to assemble this package for an MOD release, have 5.1 stereo on the press release, and then put it out in mono! The Laserdisc sound runs laps around the mono on the DVD, but the picture quality on the DVD is so much better. :-( I posted the comparison above to see what others have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks