Loss of a dear friend

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Randy Tennison, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    With a heavy heart, I must communicate the passing of a dear member of our family. Sunday, at approximately 11:30 a.m., out Toshiba SD-400 TIVO departed this earth.

We had spent many great hours together. We experienced much laughter, many tears, and some anger. I knew that when I came home, TIVO would be there, ready to show me multiple episodes of NYPD Blue, or perhaps the latest Boston Legal, or 50 episodes of Paula Dean. We'd sit together, and just laugh and laugh and laugh. Then, at night, when the family was asleep, TIVO would still be there, finding entertainment choices for the entire family. Teletubbies for my 2 year old son, Studio 60 for me, and every cooking show ever produced for my wife.

But, in the end, it was just too much for TIVO's hard drive to keep up with. The very end came quickly, with a few video glitches, and then, rebooting. Finally, yesterday, TIVO just couldn't reboot, and I knew it was time. I gently pulled her out of the tv cabinet, thanked her for her hard work, and pulled the plug.

TIVO SD-400 will be survived by TCD649080, a new TIVO box, with 80 hour hard drive and dual tuners, so we can record two shows at once.

Until it arrives by the TIVO stork, we have to limp along with live TV. Oh, the horrors.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    Randy, I'm sorry for your loss. Deepest sympathies to your family.

CJ

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Oh man! I feel for you - how many times have I been watching (cough) regular TV and have reached for the rewind button (to see something I missed), only to realize I couldn't [​IMG]

Oh and the commercials!!!! OH the HORROR!!!!

4. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Too bad you didn't have a Replay, otherwise you could have performed a transplant leading to a resurrection. [​IMG]

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

When my Tivo passed away earlier this year, it was replaced by it's idiot savant cousin, the Comcast provided Motorola DVR. As an idiot savant it does some things really well, like providing a very nice picture, but interacting with it is often a trial.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

My Zenith VCR from 1987 is still alive and while not very active still an appreciated member of my family. There hasn't been anything worth recording for about 10 years now though. [​IMG]

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    My condolences, Randy.

If you don't mine my asking, how old was she?

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

LOL - that's great! Even VHS quality isn't worth the capturing the crap on TV now a days. [​IMG]

10. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    She was almost 3. Gone way too young.

I am selling her body parts on EBAY, though. Apparently, there is a market
    for dead TIVO's out there!

11. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Yeah, that's what I'm hoping my family does with me when it's my time to go.

12. Chris Britton

Chris Britton Auditioning

If you had a lifetime subscription I highly recommend just replacing the hard drive, which is easy to do. Though if you are looking to just get the most money you can for her and invest it in a new unit, at least be sure to get your subscription fee back since Tivo eliminated the lifetime sub.