What's new

Loretta Young Show is coming! (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Oh, my, Joe. The reasons I despise commercials nowadays? Many reasons, but I suppose the overarching one is their abrasiveness (not to mention their far greater frequency). They are so 'in-your-face' now, via wild computer graphics, super-quick editing, and searing rock-guitar soundtracks. They are just so disorientating and grating on my nerves, and their interuptions really seem to jar me away from whatever program I'm attempting to 'get into.'

It's funny, because I always used to enjoy just having the tv on, for nothing more than company. But, in recent years, the commercials themselves have rendered it a nuisance. I'll go back to some of my old videotapes from two decades ago, and marvel at how much more calming and seamless the program-to-commercial viewing experience was. Can't deny I miss that. The way commercials are now is one of the main reasons the tv stays OFF most of the time, unless I'm viewing dvd's.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm seriously thinking of picking this Loretta Young Show box set up, but first I'd like to hear from someone who's already purchased one. I remember watching this show as a child in reruns when I was sick and stayed at home. The shows, as I remember them from the 50s, were pretty good.

Are they complete episodes?

What's the picture quality?

Does the story quality hold up?

How are the 'extras'?

Thanks

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Apparently Season 2 is now available on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Loretta-Young-...5756653&sr=1-1

It's from the same company that released Season 1. The set didn't contain the complete first season, but rather the first 30 episodes. I bought it, but never made my way through it. Picture quality on it was nothing to write home about. The shows weren't remastered at all.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Uh....it's not the first. The entire Twilight Zone and original Outer Limits series are available. The initial two seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents have more recently been released on DVD. Let's not forget One Step Beyond. I'm sure there are others. :)

I don't think I'll buy The Loretta Young Show. Sure, she was a talented, likeable actress, and certainly attractive even in middle age, but I've seen some of the episodes from the late 1950s / early 60s. The writing is very weak for the anthology format. I'd be more interested in seeing The New Loretta Young Show from the 1962-63 season instead.

Somewhere I read that in later years Ms. Young was reluctant to syndicate her oldest series (this one) because her gowns in the early years of the show were extremely dated. I wouldn't use that as a criteria to keep the program out of the public eye though. This show lasted 8 years, so there must be some interesting stories along the way. I'm not sure what her stand was regarding VHS release in the 1990s.

Let's just say that although I wouldn't buy this show, if I ran across it downloading from a bit torrent site I'll get it that way.....providing there is enough of a demand by others using that site (which is very unlikely for anything this old).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

True, the PQ isn't exactly stellar, but don't let that stop you from enjoying the very good stories depicted. I enjoy every show. They have a certain "something" that's hard to put my finger on. It's just there (for me). And Loretta is always a joy to watch. She was a darn good actress, IMO.

Ever see the movie "Cause For Alarm" with Loretta? A very good low-budget gem, with Barry Sullivan (who could really chew some scenery in his movies, but I liked him nonetheless :)) convinced beyond all doubt that Loretta was going to murder him.

The scene with Loretta trying desperately to retrieve a mistakenly-mailed letter from a stubborn postman earns high marks and shows off Miss Young's acting chops nicely. :)

My full review for the first Loretta Young Show DVD set is HERE.

Tom.W

Second Unit
This is very good news, indeed. I echo David VP's sentiments about the overall quality of LYS. Although some episodes run thin in terms of writing, I always find something interesting in each one. Loretta seemed to give everything she could to the show; I've never seen a half-hearted effort in any episode. While PQ in the first season set is not great, at least it represents the best available in terms of completeness.

Probably the show's quality improved with later seasons. I think both stylistically you can see Loretta changing with the times and improving the content of the show. The New Loretta Young Show of a single season is very enjoyable and brings the format into a contemporary 60's sitcom. It keeps some of the wholesome positive values displayed in the anthology show while managing to avoid being too sappy.

Hopefully the trend to pick up these shows continues. Although the situation differs with Make Room for Daddy (assuming no ties to the estate with the licensee in that case), it would be great if there is enough interest to keep more seasons coming.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I also echo the sentiment that the release of the 2nd season is great news. No the picture quality was not the greatest, but I have to say that I really liked the first 30 episodes a lot. I'm ordering mine right now.

Real Name
Jim
I wouldn't buy The New Phil Silvers Show, but I remember Jeff saying that he was a fan of the old Silvers show and bought the 50th anniversary DVD set. :) I'm not sure this has anything to do with Loretta Young though. Please stay on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks