What's new

Loretta Lynn's Latest Album Van Ler Rose... (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
...anyone picked it up yet? Just wondering thoughts and making my decision to pick it up or not...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have been hearing a song on the radio where she sings a duet with the guy from The White Stripes (his name escapes me now) and it's great. Never thought I would hear her on a station that plays rock but that's pretty cool in itself.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just FYI, its also produced by Jack White of the White Stripes, all on 8-track

John Watson

Screenwriter
Hmmmm, shall I buy a cd by Loretta Lynn, or shall I finally buy a Shania Twain disk....

Which would go best with my new Wanda Jackson and new Ray Price cds?

Tough choice...

Not :)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I went and purchased it the day that it came out...though it almost through my partner whom I love dearly into a siezure, I have not stopped listening to it over the past three weeks.

Simply awesome album which puts many of the current so-called Nashville Diva's to shame. If they only had the balls that Loretta does, maybe I would still listen to country music somewhat.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

I think a Rosie Flores cd would go great with Wanda. Rosie is a great lady and the nicest person too boot!

Thanks Nick!
It was on the tip of my tongue.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Took a short listen today.. ive never heard of Loretta Lynn and her previous work, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Though i could tell there was the 'Jack White' influence in the sound (kinda blusey).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I picked this up this week after hearing Jimmy Carl lament about what a horrible mistake it was for Lynn to make this record on our local country music station that I have to listen to hear at work.

As per Jimmy's recommendation (this is the same guy who felt sorry for Johnny Cash having to put out such weird records so late in his carrer!), it's a great record, some misses that are excusable in lite of how great some of the songs are. And Lynn sounds fantastic, with a strength to her voice that blows pertty much all of the current country divas out of the water, hell, some of this record actually sound more rooted in the country tradition than the majority of the stuff thats on the radio (I swear to god, last week a ballad started and I thought Poison had come back!)

I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone with a passing interest in country music. Jack whites habd can be heard pretty solidly throughout the songs, but than again, he has said numerouse times that he is a huge Lynn fan, so it only makes sense that he uses this as an opportunity to collaborate with his idol.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about picking this up, but I'm uncertain. While I can appreciate good musicianship, will I like it if I hate country?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't like anything on current country radio, but I loved this. If you like the later Cash releases, and like old style guitar, you would probably like this.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I just may enjoy it then because what Shania Twain plays ain't country in my book.

Tommyc

Grip
This is a great CD. Since NYC does not have a full-time country station, a local college-based station picked up on it and has been playing it since it's release. This has definite country-sounding tracks sung in Loretta's inimitable way but is as different from Loretta's earlier releases as she's ever done. But whatever you think, buy it. It's terrific, especially her duet with Jack White on "Portland, Oregon". Loretta has a real winner here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks