What's new

LORD OF THE RINGS Trilogy Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
What's up? It's that time of year again...a momentous occasion for the film score lovers among us:
htf_imgcache_13217.jpeg

ROTK:CR
Howard Shore’s complete Oscar-winning score for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, from the epic film trilogy The Lord of the Rings, will be available in a deluxe five-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 6, 2007.
Per Dan Brecher, score genius, there will be another release next year of the rarities around the same time as Doug Adams long-promised and long-awaited book on the scores is released.
Finally ;)

varybarry

Agent
Real Name
Layla
I love the LOTR Trilogy scores. I listened at least one of their tracks on my way home from work.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I saw this on TORn. Have you heard anything about a MSRP? I know it will be costly, as it's longer, but I just wondered if you've seen any speculation about the price?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Great news. Finally, I get to hear the full cue of the collapse of Barad-dur (the truncated cue on the single-CD soundtrack has frustrated me for nigh on four years now).
--Jefferson Morris

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks to Dan B (old school), here is a TENTATIVE track listing:

01. Roots And Beginnings

02. Journey To The Cross-roads

03. The Road To Isengard

04. The Foot Of Orthanc

05. Return To Edoras

06. The Chalice Passed

07. The Green Dragon [Featuring Billy Boyd]

08. Gollums Villainy

09. Eowyn's Dream

10. The Palantir

11. Flight From Edoras

12. The Grace Of Undomiel [Featuring Renee Fleming]

13. The Eyes Of The White Tower

14. A Coronal Of Silver And Gold

15. The Lighting Of The Beacons

16. Osgiliath Invaded [Featuring Ben Del Maestro]

17. The Stairs Of Cirith Ungol

18. Allegiance To Denethor

19. The Sacrifice Of Faramir [Featuring Billy Boyd]

20. The Parting Of Sam And Frodo

21. Marshalling At Dunharrow

22. Anduril - Flame Of The West

23. The Passing Of The Grey Company

24. Dwimorberg - The Haunted Mountain

25. Master Meriadoc, Swordthain

26. The Paths Of The Dead

27. The Siege Of Gondor

28. Shelobs Lair

29. Merry's Simple Courage

30. Grond - The Hammer Of The Underworld

31. Shelob The Great

32. The Tomb Of The Stewards

33. The Battle Of The Pelennor Fields

34. The Pyre Of Denethor

35. The Mumakil

36. Dernhelm In Battle

37. A Far Green Country

38. Shieldmaiden Of Rohan

39. The Passing Of Theoden

40. The Houses Of Healing [Featuring Liv Tyler]

41. The Tower Of Cirith Ungol

42. The Last Debate [Featuring Sissel]

43. The Land Of Shadow

44. The Mouth Of Sauron [Featuring Sir James Galway]

45. For Frodo [Featuring Ben Del Maestro]

46. Mount Doom [Featuring Renee Fleming]

47. The Crack Of Doom

48. The Eagles [Featuring Renee Fleming]

49. The Fellowship Reunited [Featuring Renee Fleming]

50. The Journey To The Grey Havens [Featuring Sir James Galway]

51. Elanor [Featuring Sir James Galway]

52. Days Of The Ring [Featuring Annie Lennox]

53. Bilbo's Song

Booyah,

Chuck

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
The ROTK Complete Recordings set has been delayed a week to November13. Here is the latest post from Doug Adams, who is currently finalizing the annotated score notes:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates… I’ve been traveling a lot lately. And, in fact, I’m heading out again tonight, so I’ll have to be brief.

Yes, I can confirm the ROTK delay. It is not related to rescheduling, legal issues or anything of that sort. The delay pertains strictly to the creation of the physical product which, because of the additional CD and the double-sided DVD in this set, has become a bit more involved than in the past.

No cause for alarm, though I certainly understand your frustrations.

The Annotated Score is its final edits now… I hope it’ll answer your questions regarding unused material, etc. Oh, and FYI, the sequencing on the album represents the film’s structure at the time Shore scored it (save for Sissel’s piece). So when questions arise regarding “why is scene X before scene Y on this album…” it’s because that’s how the film was originally edited and that’s how it was scored.

Ok, I’m late! Gotta run! Yay, airports!

-Doug

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
For those who never experienced Trilogy Tuesday, you may get your chance to experience it this time if you live in or near Canada at The Great Digital Film Festival:
http://www.cineplex.com/Events/DigitalFilmFest/Home.aspx

It'll be showing on Saturday, Feb. 5th 2011

Trilogy Tuesday was probably my best experience at a movie theater. I don't think it will be the same as these are probably just the theatrical cuts but I'll be there just the same.

HenriqueAlcalay

Auditioning
Real Name
Henrique
Warner Bros. have re-launched the official website for the upcoming Action/RPG video game The Lord of the Rings: War in the North.
Fans awaiting this epic game will find current news, a rich community and more at www.WarInTheNorth.com.
I liked it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
So, I dug this thread up to reminisce a bit.  Ten years ago, I was in a mild state of euphoria.  FOTR was my first midnight movie, and it was a corker.  More than any other film, FOTR cemented my love of online film discussion.  I had just joined HTF a few months before, and I never really perused Sam's "Lucas had better look out" thread which ran through most of 2001.  I remember the teaser from early 2001 ("You will find adventure.  Or adventure will find you.") and the main trailer which premiered with some episode of Angel.  Anyways, while it kicked the decade off, I still think it is the film series which most defines the entire previous decade.  I think that is saying quite a bit, as the Pirates films, Batman films, Pixar, Star Wars films, and superhero movies also dominated the mainstream business in the oughts.

I distinctly recall the rapturous reviews that Fellowship got, and how that fed the excitement.  There was also the promise of two more Decembers of such films.  It honestly felt like the whole of Middle Earth, fully realized and rich, opened up.  I still think of LOTR every December.

My favorite scene remains Gandalf's fall, with Boromir's last stand right behind it.  And FOTR remains my favorite of the three films, EE or otherwise.

And we are a day away from the first teaser for The Hobbit.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ten years ago, I was sitting in a theater, and five minutes into the movie, as Cate Blancett's narration played over images of Sauron and the ring, my friend turned to me and said "It's already great."

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
So yesterday marked the 10th anniversary of the December 17, 2003 release of The Return of the King. (And today is the 11th anniversary of The Two Towers, and tomorrow the 12th anniversary of Fellowship!)

I've been thinking about the LOTR film trilogy, JRR Tolkien's lifetime of writing, and the world of Middle-Earth quite a bit lately, thanks to the release of Desolation of Smaug. Probably moreso than I thought about this a year ago with An Unexpected Journey. I'll share some specific thoughts about DoS in the appropriate thread, but suffice it to say that my interest and passion for the above three things are all jumbled together.

Although wildly different (and occasionally jarringly so), I continue to feel that the cinematic Middle-Earth (almost it's own creation now, sort of like a radical but respectful cover band) and the literary Middle-Earth (which I appreciate more every year) are synergistically supportive. The movies are richer for the books (obviously), but I think I enjoy the literature a bit more thanks to the texture and versimillitude that the films bring. I doubt everyone will feel that way, but I'm content to have found that sweet spot.

I did not partake in Trilogy Tuesday 10 years ago (on the 16th), as my wife was 9 months pregnant, and I didn't think that being out of phone contact for 12 hours would work. I did manage to get to a midnight ROTK showing with some dear friends, though, and it was a pretty overwhelming experience. After my son was born, this was the first movie I took my wife to, as she had been wanting to see it for over a month.

My favorites moments in ROTK:
The Lighting of the Beacons
Gandalf speaking with Merry during the siege, recalling the wonderful last lines of the novel -- Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost. And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise. (Sir Ian kills this scene, with the wonderful twinkle in his eye)
The Ride of the Rohirrim
Theoden and Eoywn at the last
Sam and Frodo at the End of All Things (and eventually the arrival of the Great Eagles and rescue)
The Grey Havens

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great stuff there Chuck. As usual, you have a way of articulating. I'm in a state of needing some LOTR fix. :) I've been in home theater limbo for about 6 months SLOWLY trying to re-build a new HT. During this time I've been slumming watching TV and sports on a 65 in Plasma. :) I refuse to watch any movie that needs a big big screen. So hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have my Stewart Motorized screen installed.

And then...the fun can begin. I think I will start with my favorite film in the LOTR story, The Extended Ed of Fellowship has remained among my top 2-3 films of all time. In fact, when I see the Hobbit I am reminded just how fantastic these are and how IMHO what a misfire the new Hobbit films are. I'll spare my feelings on that. But the Fellowship has aged well. In fact, it grows in stature. The Two Towers does too....sadly, ROTK while epic has a been there done that vibe throughout. Still it has passion and has a great payoff but the battles were not as effective as they were in FOTR and to me, the battle of Helms Deep and the FANTASTIC build up to that point trumps everything in Return.

I'm actually digressing...what I want to see if anyone has or knows where I can find a track listing of the DVD-Audio discs of the Complete Recordings. I have DVD-Audio in my SUV but it doesn't give titles. The sound is phenomenal by the way. I've looked online and no luck. Also, sadly I can't find my Two Towers Complete recordings. And it's only going for about $489 on amazon & ebay. WHOA!

Would love a copy again but wow.

Anyway, if anyone has any info on that I would be most appreciative. I want to print it out...

Lord of the Rings is a true Masterpiece.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thank you Chuck! I found the info for Discs 1-3 but theres no track listing for the DVD-Audio disc. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks