Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu Ray set for release November 3rd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by oscar_merkx, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

2. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

A compelling argument can absolutely be made for either version, I agree. They both work. For me, the DC showing the colony in full swing before it's overrun makes it that much more eerie when the Marines show up. But like you said, it ALSO work in the TC to have them just show up and try to figure it all out.

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Is it now safe to say we've beaten this whole TC vs EE debate to death?

4. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I prefer the theatrical cuts and am looking forward to purchasing them on their November release.

5. Dan Keliikoa

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEVAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

LOL

It is truly endlessly debateable, there is no final answer in matters of preference/opinion.

6. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial

Yes, it is.

7. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

I'd be curious to know how many folks WHO HAVE READ THE BOOKS are satisfied with the TE. For myself, I want the EE because of seeing the extra stuff that WAS in the books. I admit the drinking game and the mountain of skulls and scenes of other superfluous junk I could do without. But seeing Lobelia and her husband (Otho? Lotho?) for example is what makes me prefer the extended versions. The extended TTT scene between Denethor, Boromir and Faramir and the extended RotK scene between Pippin and Faramir are, to me, necessary motivational scenes, without which I wouldn't be able to believe the emotions that still take place in the theatrical cuts.
    But yeah, it really comes down to personal choice, and no amount of debate is going to change the mind of the other side--casual viewers versus book fans.

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    1) I read the books.

2) I don't prefer either version. Both have their strengths.

2a) The TE's are better edited, tighter, with less stupidity.

2b) Each EE has at least one scene that is invaluable (such as the Boromir/Denethor/Faramir sequence in TTT).

2c) Each EE has at least one scene that is pandering and pointless (TTT and ROTK have more than one)

3) I expected this release pattern, and it's hardly malicious or draconian.

4) The TE's made the money and won the awards for a reason. I want those versions as well.

5) There isn't a huge difference between them.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    No it's not.

C'mon, Josh, don't just put that out there without backing it up!! Fight, man, fight!! [​IMG]

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Well now, you know and I know that NOTHING will ever stop the bitching & moaning on the Internet! [​IMG] That said, if the EEs DO come out this year, I will be as happy as anybody else, and will be buying BOTH sets. Then when PJ releases the Uber set in 2011 to tie-in with the release of The Hobbit, I will join you in griping about the double-dip. [​IMG]

11. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    I have read the books beginning in mid-late 1960's and reread them and the last time was with my sons before the movies came out, and I am satisfied with the theatrical cuts. As I stated before, I prefer them over the extended edtitions. By the way, my sons like the extended editions, so they have their preference and I have mine.

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Never had a familiarity with the source material before the release of the films. I went to see Fellowship with friends and absolutely HATED it. I thought it was a grueling endurance test that went nowhere and offered no satisfying sense of climax. It seemed to be all just set up for the next chapter next year.
    I was completely dismissive, and mocking, of the property for a long time afterwards.

It wasn't until I was stuck on the road with nothing to do, and for the hell of it decided to spin a little of my friends EE set. Seeing the whole "Concerning Hobbits..." opening completely won me over. I felt that introduction to the world was a huge piece missing for me the first time. I didn't watch much past that, until I got home and back to a real HT where I immediately went out and bought a copy of the EE for myself and experienced a 180 degree reversal from that first theater viewing- loved it, snagged TTT EE the day it streeted, and went to see ROTK opening weekend.

The only other Theatrical version I've seen so far is ROTK and, despite some interesting cut scenes in the EE, in this case at least I do prefer the Theatrical version for pacing reasons.

If the order does go thru and I get the set for a good price, great. If not, I'll just wait for the EEs. no big deal to me. Too much else to catch up on, anyway.

13. Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds Stunt Coordinator

I for one am just happy they're coming to blu, I'm happy we have a date now. I prefer the theatrical versions personally, but I fully understand why people would be upset that we aren't getting the EE's right off the bat. It would at least be nice to have the option to choose (and I hope that when the EE's do come, we'll have the option to watch the theatrical versions on the same disc. If that isn't the case, then I will join in the anger).

The Lord of the Rings! In 1080p! And lossless audio! Oh my god!

Please please please don't use any unnecessary filtering apart from what PJ already used, please give us the absolute best image quality possible...please please please.

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I remember the first time I saw Clerks II.

Glad I could lighten the mood a little. [​IMG]

15. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

1) I read the LOTR books multiple times over the past 30 years. So many times in fact I lost count long ago.

2) I prefer the EE's just for the added scenes from the book. BUT I enjoy both versions even though the TE's seem like truncated versions after the EE's

2a) Both have strengths and weaknesses but I'm not going to pretend I could edit together a better picture than PJ, I'll leave that to the armchair film editors/film critics. [​IMG]

3) This release pattern is unappealing and seems a tad bit disingenuous given the EE's exist and are readily available on a previous format.

4) An optimal release would've included BOTH versions, which would make the endless TE vs EE debates a moot point. Wouldn't it be nice to tell someone to just shut the fuck up and watch the version you prefer? [​IMG]

5) There is a huge difference between them, if one is overtly familiar with the source material IMO.

16. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Jim, if there is a huge difference between them...then this absolutely cannot be a double dip, per your definition: "For clarification a double-dip is simply when the same title is released for sale a second time on the same video format."

If there is an appreciable difference between the TE and the EE, then they are categorically not the same film, and separate releases make sense, both for business purposes and artistically.

17. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Isn't that a bit silly, Chuck? Saying that there's a big difference between two versions of a single film isn't the same as saying they're fundamentally different films.

18. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David

I read them several times, and was pleased with the theatrical cuts over all. The only time I have seen the theatrical cuts is in the theater. The only DVDs I ever bought were the EE's.

The only cuts/restored scenes that are of import to me are from FOTR, namely, the gifts of Galadriel. That was one of my favorite moments from the book, and was sorely missed by me in the theatrical cut of FOTR. If they had released an extended cut of FOTR and left the other two films the way they were, I'd have been a happy camper.

I do not feel that films of novels must slavishly attempt to recreate the novel. My favorite adaptation of a novel to film remains Richard Lester's Three Musketeers films. They followed the novels quite closely, but added some humor and interesting historical tidbits that enhanced the story.

That said, I will wait for the EEs of the LOTR trilogy and probably rent the theatrical versions to look at a few scenes just to see how it looks in hi-def.

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

IMO, this is the most important statement in this entire thread regarding these releases, or any other release, for that matter.

I really dislike the statements made at times on this and other forums where people state "the studio is forcing me to buy stuff I do not want". Nobody from the studio is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to buy anything. It's quite simple -- buy the product if it is something desirable and offered at a price you consider reasonable. Otherwise, simply do not buy it.

Casablanca is one of my favorite films, but I still have not purchased it on BD. I do not desire the current package being offered by Warner, and decided to simply rent it from BB and wait until Warner offers a product I want. The same will be the case with Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind, and LOTR. My life will go on, undamaged by the experience.

20. Dan Keliikoa

This mirrored my situation almost exactly.

I read the books after I saw TTT in the theater. But it was the EE of FOTR that completely brought me around. The intro and alll other additions in the FOTR:EE sold me, whereas the TE on it's own with no prior knowledge was a turn off.