What's new

Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu Ray set for release November 3rd (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

My feeling is that they'll follow the release pattern of the DVDs, and have no overlap with extras between theatrical & EE on blu. I'm a bit surprised that this set isn't simply mimicing the content of the original DVDs.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

+10000000000000 on these statements.

Peter has said that the theatrical cuts are his cuts, and that the EE's are for the fans. But I can't even watch the theatrical cuts anymore, and I haven't since the EE for each movie came out.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Day-and-date purchase for me, with no qualms--I set up a front-projection home theater in my basement for the express purpose of watching high-def LOTR, and I ain't waiting until 2011 or whenever for the longer versions.

I like the EEs, particularly the extra scenes for FOTR (my favorite film of all time), but the only film of the three that I think is really substantively better in its longer form is TTT, because of the extra Faramir/Denethor material.

The added stuff in ROTK is a mixed bag, and just makes an already long film too long, IMO. My ideal versions of these films would contain some of the EE material--perhaps even most of it--but not all of it.

--Jefferson Morris

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Glad to finally see some dissent on the subject, Jefferson. The extended editions have their merits, including some great individual moments, but if I had to pick only one version of the trilogy to watch from now on...it would be the theatrical version.

Of course, I'd like to own both versions of the trilogy on Blu-ray, and will definitely get the extended editions, too, when they're released. But, knowing that the extended editions will come in time, I have no issues whatsoever with purchasing the versions of the films that I enjoyed so much when I saw them theatrically in 2001-2003.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was able to use a buy two and get one free code at Warner's site with my final price for the trilogy at $47.66

I also bought Gone with the Wind and Sarah Connors Chronicles Season 2 with the same order.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
It is the theatrical versions, not the extended editions, that grossed over $1 billion in worldwide box office. It is the theatrical versions, not the extended editions, that were nominated for-and won-a crapload of Oscars (I'm too lazy to look up the exact number right now....so sue me.). But so many, many people on here seem to be implying that the theatrical versions are NOT EVEN WORTH A RELEASE absent the extended editions. This on the same forum that routinely rips studios and directors a new one for not offering every other film ever made in its exact, original, untouched theatrical form.

My mind is officially blown.

And I must agree with an earlier post that the extended editions contain good stuff, but also things that should probably have been left out. Gimli referring to an orc's "nervous center" damn near ruined the movie for me. He might as well have pulled out an iPod for some kickin' battle tunes.

LarryH

Supporting Actor

Well I happened to be looking at filmsite.org and they listed the following (awards/nominations):

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring..............2001......4/13
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers...........................2002......2/6
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King...................2003.....11/11

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just a heads up-
The B2G1 code appears to be stackable with the 25% off code.
I had already used the 30% off one, so I don't know if that would work in conjunction or not.
I just ordered LOTR, Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Contact, New World, and Watchmen for a grand total of under $170 ($158 prior to sales tax).
if you're interested I posted the codes and other info in the Wizard Of Oz thread.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I think you're misunderstanding the issue. It's not that people feel they're not worth release, it's that people do not want the TE, they want the EE. The EE's are being withheld for years, so people feel the studio is intentionally double dipping. In other words, betrayed.

Which will probably get a bit worse when...

The EE's are released for the Hobbit.
Then the Hobbit TE gets released.
Then the Hobbit EE gets released.
Then the Hobbit/LotR TE collection gets released.
Then the Hobbit/LotR EE defiinitive collection gets released.

In short, it's kinda making us feel we're being setup for mult-dipping money grabs.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

I agree entirely with this statement, extended doesn't necessarily mean better. I'm having this same argument on avforums over here in the UK about 'Watchmen' they are bitching and moaning that we're 'only' getting the theatrical cut and you guys are getting the extended cut. My argument was, what makes you think it will be better!?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stephen goes berserk with a big club!!

Hahaa!

For me, the TC isn't worth buying. I like the EE better. My thought is this is one of the rare cases when the extra footage is something I want each time I watch. Why would I go back to less when I enjoyed more? It comes in pints!!!

*tops off pint* :P

Now, we can discuss Aliens and the fact that the extra footage is nice to see but not worth the trade off if you'd like. Maybe it's a personal thing. I'd rather have Aliens without the extra stuff. I don't even think I can buy it that way.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
James, you would take Aliens without the sentry gun sequences?? Are you daft man??
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Just kidding, but IMO, Aliens is much better in the extended cut. Interesting seeing Newt's brother and parents and the derelict one more time, etc.

Back OT, I'll admit that an argument can be made that ROTK:EE isn't quite as tight as the TE. The TE was a pleasure to watch and I saw it multiple times.

In the EE, The Mouth of Sauron sequence didn't work as well as I'd like, but I like the Houses of the Healing montage and Saruman's fate at the beginning, in addition to more Pippin with the Rohirrim.

However, I didn't care for the TE of FOTR much, but that movie was vastly improved for me with the additions in the EE, especially the gifting sequence which SHOULD NOT have been cut from the TE, it's just too important as it shows where the rope and daggers and Frodo's light came from, as well as Aragorn's knife. And one of Gimli's best moments. Also the lead-in with Bilbo writing in his book concerning Hobbits is a brilliant way to begin the proper story after the heavy prelude.

The TT: TE was a bit of overload for me, I kept having trouble keeping track of characters and what was going on (had not read books yet). I then got the EE and LOVED the additions, then read the books. TTT:EE has a much better pacing and 'breathes' a bit more, and has key character moments. The Denethor and his sons part was brilliant and SO important for setting up Faramir's ride in ROTK. Plus, it's delightful to watch the Huorns do their thang with the Orc army
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Just my .02 on a debate with no resolution LOL.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This kind of thinking drives me crazy because it's SO wrong-headed. This is NOT a double-dip setup. This is NO different than the original release pattern for the LotR fllms, except the EEs are coming years after the TEs instead of months. With the original releases, if you wanted the TE, you bought the 2-disc release. If you wanted the EE, you bought the 4-disc release. If you wanted everything, you bought both sets, which amounted to a 6-disc super set for each film with NO repeated content.

Now, what we're getting is the BD version of the 3 2-disc sets in one box (looking at the extras list on the WBShop it looks like they're porting most of the stuff from the 2-disc TE releases to this box). This release gets these Oscar-winning films in their original format into the hi-def market. It should be a big boost to the format.

What about the EE's? I understand that some people only want the EEs, and it's frustrating having to wait years for them. But Peter Jackson has said many times that he wants to do a super-special set for the EEs in hi-def, including new extras. The thing is - he doesn't have the time right now to do it right. So we have to wait. But when it comes, it almost certainly won't be a double-dip, as I doubt PJ will pull in any of the material from this year's TE set.

Now, a lot of you will say I don't want to wait, just release the existing EE sets in hi-def NOW. OK, they could do that without Jackson's involvement. And then, in a few years when the uber-set finally comes out, you would all scream "Double-dip". And you'd be right. By holding the EEs until Jackson's ready to do his uber-set, Warner/New Line is actually AVOIDING the double-dip.

Bottom-line: I want the EE's in hi-def as much as anybody. But the fact is they're not coming for years, and no amount of moaning on the Internet is going to change that.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
No "double dip" here. I'll only buy the EEs and if it means I have to wait for years then that's what I'll be doing.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I should have said that I loved all the extra scenes but some of it ruined certain things about the film. The flow is off and the film overall is a little too long.

The scene with Ripley learning about her own daughter help the film a bit with her relationship with Newt. Although I think we learn enough info about that without the scene. Still, I kind of liked that.

The scene with Newt's family visiting the derelict is great. But it takes us to this strange alien planet before the Ripley and company get there and that cuts down the tension later on. I didn't like it for that reason. In the TC we arrive at the same time and everything is a mystery. Sure, we can all guess what happens, but still the tension is so much greater and all the later scenes work better in my eyes.

Still a great film either way. But I'd only ever watch the regular cut of Aliens given the choice. I only have the TC on VHs. I won't go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks