What's new

Lord of the Rings Limited Edition Blu-ray available for Pre-order on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

We have no official press release as of yet, but one should be forthcoming any time now as Amazon has recently posted preorder pricing for the long-awaited Limited Edition release.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
You know, after all the whining and moaning about last year's theatrical edition trilogy, I assumed this release would be met with whoops of joy. Yet already the Amazon comments are full of 1 star reviews from the crybabies, who STILL aren't satisfied, despite this being EXACTLY what was promised last year (plus they are even adding the Costa Botes docus which were previously NOT in the EE boxes).

I guess these yahoos won't be happy until WB/New Line travels several years into the future when the post-Hobbit uber mega box set of all 5 films in 4K 3D Blu-ray Plus with 40 days worth of extras is available, and sends that box back in time to their greedy little hands. For a $30 MSRP, of course, because anything higher than that is a rip-off.

As for me - my pre-order's in. Bring it on!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The price thing always baffles me. Media right now is so cheap it's amazing to me. I remember paying $100 for a single laserdisc. My Beauty & The Beast CAV Laserdisc set was $150 if I was right, and that was a long time ago, when that meant a lot more then now. The price seems fine. People piss and moan about it, but if you go to iTunes you get Movie Only, nothing else for $20, and it's not even anywhere near full quality. I guess it's just me. The price seems perfectly fair in my mind. There are times I will bitch about the price, like when the Star Trek box sets on DVD were $130, but this seems worth it for what they are.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Todays Bits

Each extended edition film will be included on a Blu-ray disc in high-definition, along with all of the commentaries from the Extended Edition DVD releases, the MTV Movie Awards Easter egg clips for each film AND (and this is a nice and much appreciated touch) the Costa Botes "behind the scenes" documentaries for each film that were on the Limited Edition DVD releases (the ones that had BOTH the theatrical and extended versions of the films via seamless branching). Then, each film in the Blu-ray set will also include both of The Appendices DVD discs for each film that were included in the previous Extended Edition DVD sets. That adds up to 9 discs total, and it appears to mean that if you buy the Blu-ray, nearly every single extra feature from the previous DVDs carries over.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll preorder but I bet it will be cheaper before it gets released and if it isn't I'll cancel and wait 'till it's cheaper.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
WHOOP WHOOP OF JOY!

I skipped the theatrical blurays since I never plan on watching the theatrical versions again so my old DVDs are just fine for those. That they are carrying over all the features and adding those extra documentaries makes this the perfect set for me! I shall pre-order it toot sweet!

(Which means in about a month when it shows up on amazon.ca...)

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
Does this mean that each movie will only reside on one bluray disc? I was actually hoping that the EE would still be broken into 2 discs each to maximise the picture quality.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm happy to see this is being released for those who have been eagerly waiting for it. I'm personally undecided about this one because I've actually come to prefer the theatrical cuts over the extended versions. If they'd done this as a single release with both versions included via seamless branching, it would have been a no-brainer for me but, for now at least, I'm happy with my theatrical blu-rays, can watch my extended DVD's when I have 12 hours to kill and will patiently wait for the uber-set before buying this series again.

That said, I reserve the right to change my mind if/when there is an impossible-to-refuse sale price.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Khai L said:
Does this mean that each movie will only reside on one bluray disc? I was actually hoping that the EE would still be broken into 2 discs each to maximise the picture quality.
A blu ray disc can probably hold the movie on it just fine. Aren't the extras on separate discs?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
It's mine, my own... my... precioussss.

The greatest blu-ray announcement since that last great blu-ray announcement, in a galaxy far far away. :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I already HAVE the DVD bonus discs in this set. I may hold off until they release the movies alone.

I bought the theatrical versions on Blu pretty cheap, or i would of passed on those as well.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by mattCR

The price thing always baffles me. Media right now is so cheap it's amazing to me. I remember paying $100 for a single laserdisc. My Beauty & The Beast CAV Laserdisc set was $150 if I was right, and that was a long time ago, when that meant a lot more then now. The price seems fine. People piss and moan about it, but if you go to iTunes you get Movie Only, nothing else for $20, and it's not even anywhere near full quality. I guess it's just me. The price seems perfectly fair in my mind. There are times I will bitch about the price, like when the Star Trek box sets on DVD were $130, but this seems worth it for what they are.

I remember my wife and I going to our neighborhood Tower Records and trying to decide which ONE of the new release LDs we were going to buy every month. Usually between $40 and $60 a title for non-Criterion, non special edition titles. Star Wars was $250 the first time we bought it on LD and $299 the second. Even DVD was not cheap when it came out. Weird Science was on of the first DVD releases from Image Ent and it was over $40. I think Dotcoms competing against each other were the main reasons DVDs were as cheap as they were. Reel.com had 40% off all pre-orders, 800.com had their 3 for $1 sale, etc.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
That Digital Bits post says that each movie (including multiple commentary tracks) PLUS one of the Costa Botes documentaries will reside on a single Blu-ray disc. Can that be right? How long were those documentaries?

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Given that Warner created new masters for the theatrical versions and still took endless amounts of crap about the picture quality (I think they look just fine), I'd be surprised if they even bothered with this release. These will probably just reuse the existing masters created for the DVD. Older transfers + 3 1/2 - 4 hour running times + lossless audio + the docs in standard def (around 2 hours each, I believe) all squeezed onto 1 BD-50 is probably going to result in WORSE PQ than the theatrical editions.

Count me as one who dislikes having any DVDs included as part of a high-def boxset. They could probably have squeezed all the Appendicies onto 1 BD-25, if they stayed standard def.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
If my math is correct, max average bitrates of a single BD-50 for each movie, including BOTH audio and video would be the following:

Fellowship of the Ring - 33 Mbps

The Two Towers - 29 Mbps

Return of the King - 26 Mbps

While bitrate is not the be all end all, I think Two Towers and Return of the King are pushing it for something that has no reason not to have reference audio and video. I'd rather seen an average bitrate at at least 32 - 35 Mbps, but if the reviews are positive and they fix the DNR issues of the first release, it won't be a deal breaker.

Assuming the extras are straight SD ports of the previous extras, I'd rather just see a 6-disc set. Give the movies additional room to breathe on 2 discs per film, still have room for all of the extras in the remaining space.

I guess they put the extras on DVDs for those who have not upgraded to blu-ray. Wait...what?!

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
I would definitely prefer to have each movie across 2 BD-50s. I actually dont mind the "intermission", particularly for ROTK. I also agree that having all the extras on standard DVD is pretty crap for a highly anticipated HD release. I was hoping this set would beat out the Alien Anthology, but I dont think that will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread