What's new

Looney Tunes on DVD SURVEY! (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I will buy just about any and all of these sets unless WB really screws the pooch. I would prefer chronological or director sets, but since that's probably not "Family Friendly", I'll settle for what they offer as long as the sets are remastered, comprehensive, unedited, and OAR.

I also tried to fill out the survey but apparently they have all of the 20-30 somethings that they need. Has that survey been posted somewhere prominent or are they just taking a ridiculously small sampling.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I got rejected too (I answered No to collecting LT characters, No to collecting Disney characters & Yes to having a DVD player). Time to try again with a different demographic.... ;)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If I were Warner, I would absolutely never release chronological sets. The earliest and latest sets would sell quite poorly, and could even be money losers. Hey, I like Bosko and Buddy, but the average consumer couldn't care less. And even I would find any sets of 60s shorts to be of poor value.

And continuity is not really an issue, unlike even The Simpsons, Futurama, etc.

I've no beef with snappers. My Kubrick set looks great as far as I'm concerned. Of course I don't abuse my discs...

Regardless, I'll buy any and all 'best of' compilations as long as they avoid any but the slightest repetition, and the price per short is reasonable.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ps Warner, your animated Batman discs are not a good value.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I tried the survey too. I guess if they dont want to hear from any more of us 20 to 40 year old males, thats how you do it. I always thought a survey was to find out who your target is...and cater to them. The pessimist in me says we will get the single snapper best of. Hope i am wrong.

James Reader

Screenwriter
The pessimist in me says we will get the single snapper best of.
I would agree based on my past assumptions (Warner Family Entertainment releasing the discs and their shoddy quality of other cartoon releases).

However, the fact that Warner Home Video itself is going to be releasing the discs fills me with joy, and I'll expect a much better release than Warners existing cartoon releases (even if on a single disc). That's the key information here people - Warner Family Entertainment are not releasing the discs.

Come on WHV, take over the Tom and Jerry releases too. We want uncensored, uncropped Tom and Jerry on DVD!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I hope they go with the 4-disc Golden Collection or whatever. Not the colorful lunchbox one, but the other one. And hopefully they'll equally distribute b&w, older and newer shorts throughout, so many people buy them and we get the complete catalog of the shorts. I also wonder what (if anything) they'll do with the racist and other shorts, like Coal Black etc.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
And another thing I hope they do is to obviously have each short fully uncut, unedited, restored and with original titles.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I was also rejected by the nasty survey :frowning: but I suspect this thread may get read by a handful of WB employees. (Hi guys!)

So here's my survey:

31 year old male. No kids. Watched Looney Tunes pretty much every day for a 5-year chunk of my childhood. I'd love to see the cartoons released unedited and in their original aspect ratio.

How you choose to package them is up to you and I certainly don't envy the crew who's forced to pick and choose. I'm a fairly thrifty shopper but I'd buy that Gold Collection in the blink of an eye.

Thanks for considering the consumers' input and we trust you'll treat these wonderful films as they deserve. It's very exciting to know that Bugs and his pals will be on DVD sometime soon.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Filled it out! Did the whole survey... despite that I'm in the 20-40 demographic. Perhaps because I have purchased collectibles in the past?

Regardless, I hope they release the proposed Golden Edition 4-disc set. Looks great! Just so long as they are restored and UNEDITED... which I made sure to mention in my survey answers. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, do you think they expect there to be a correlation bewtween "collectible enthusiasts" and "DVD collectors"?

I certainly hope not.

I'm not knocking the toys or anything, but I've never purchased one single Bugs Bunny figurine - yet I'd leap at a DVD collection as if it were made of gold-plated platinum-lined money.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I assume everyone checked the "Not at all interested" box
I laughed at that one... "Would you be interested in buying a DVD product on VHS?" Bad wording there... I was hoping for a comment form on it! "No.. but buying a DVD product on DVD would be good." ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I just got an "Unable to service request" page when I tried to begin their survey.

Either they got slashdotted by Digital Bits (seems a bit unlikely actually) or perhaps they are revamping something.

Or maybe its a fault on my end. Anyone else gotten past the "If you have time for the survey hit continue" page?

I would love the gold collection box. Tins are cool but I just like the look of the box in this case, and it would make for an easier fit on the shelf.

I would be very tentative about buying a "lesser" release like a 1 or 2 disc thing. I realize that even a 4 disc release would be far far short of getting all of the LT catalog out there, but it would still be a much more significant chunk and would feel a lot less like some patchwork effort on WHV's part.

That would give me more confidence that more good stuff was to come. That's one reason I like the Disney Treasures collections so much. Completeness and commitment to excellence.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that worries me is that basically apart from the Disney Treasures series, as of yet no classic shorts have been presented on DVD in any kind of way that's worth purchasing. Warner's statement that these shorts have been "restored" does give some hope. How many total LT/MM shorts are there? I know in the first post Patrick stated it would take 18 4-disc sets to release every short, but nowhere is it stated how many actual shorts will be on these 4-disc sets.

Edit: Oops, my bad, it says on the packaging, 60 shorts.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's stated that there are around 60 cartoons per 4-disc set. That amounts to about 18 sets, including all the misc. stuff like the Snafu WWII shorts, Military shorts, and even specials like Orange Blossoms For Violet (2-reel "dubbed" movie made up of clips from Mack Sennet comedies)

It took 5 volumes of 55-70 some shorts just to get all but 11 of the Turner-owned cartoons on laserdisc. That includes stuff like the director's cut of Hare Ribbin' (Bugs Bunny blowing the brains out of a dog, and also the dog sniffing Bugs' crotch) and the original theatrical version of A Wild Hare.

Many of the people who worked on The Golden Age of Looney Tunes Vols. 1 through 5 for laserdisc are also working on the DVDs.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I hope Warner in their marketing research read this thread too. Just to summarize, I think everyone will agree that we'd like the 4-disc Golden Collections of all (meaning every single solitary one) LT/MM shorts, fully uncut, unedited, uncensored and completely restored to their original form.

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
I got booted as well. I can only hope they do LT & MM right. If they followed Disneys lead with releasing shorts within a date span, they could produce the b&w as well as the later ones in fewer quatities to appease the collectors. I for one would buy all the shorts and spend large amounts of cash to do so...if they were released well, i.e. not like the Three Stooges crap with 5 shorts per disk for $25 from Columbia.

Jonathon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks