What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6--This Is The End (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, I don't mind how they release these as long as they do not resort to character sets. Especially at this stage in the releases when there have been prevalent amounts of character discs being released on the Golden collections. This would make several one-shots (largely consisting of the Merrie Melodies) unreleasable for not having a starring character. I also think what they are doing currently acceptable, since the actual restoration process is not exactly expedient and I'm sure only half of the entire Warner cartoons library is resored currently (many unrestored prints were included in the "bonus material" of this volume).

I'm going to guess that future releases will be two-disc sets that are mixed in some sense, as in not devoted to a single "starring" character. They may be themed, though. I'd presonally prefer a completely "all-stars" release.

I disagree about DVD on Demand. I've had many issues ranging from shoddy picture quality such as digital artifacts as well as issues playing them properly in my DVD player. Not to mention the only way it would really work in this case would be if every short was restored, which they currently aren't.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
they are not merely patching the old syndication tapes into the computer. They are doing Hi-Def transfers that have been cleaned up and color corrected. The cost of this project has to be spread over the entire set.

We're talking 1003 cartoons to process. And so far they've done 360 plus the bonus cartoons. It's going to take time. Hopefully the next installment will speed it up. But you aren't going to get it all at once.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
If you think people aren't looking for character-specific discs, go to Amazon and read the discussions at the bottom of the pages of the Looney Toons collections. Almost every one asks where they can buy sets of only one character.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
What I'd love to see (bnut it'll never happen) are sets that have the cartoons arranged similar to the way in which they were shown in sdyndication- 23-minute eps consisting of a Bugs Bunny, with a different random cartoon following, then another Bugs!

Darn, that'd be GREAT!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm fine with character-themed releases. I know that would leave out a lot of great cartoons that don't have a "star" but those could be bundled together in their own releases, too.

Give me a Foghorn Leghorn release, please !

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
The reason I've never bought one of these collections is because I'm only interested in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Even as a kid, I disliked most of the other LT "solo feature" characters and, for better or worse, that hasn't changed. If a Complete Bugs Bunny collection were ever released, I'd absolutely shell out the cash for it. But right now, it's just not worth the money for me.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

All I'm saying is that I was disappointed in this set. The rest of the sets I have enjoyed tremendously. And yes, I do happen to have a preference for the Chuck Jones 50s era shorts but I don't want them in substandard VHS or recorded off TV. That is why I was (and will continue) to purchase the DVD sets that are released. I'm willing to take the more obscure older shorts to get the shorts that I want. I just didn't think that this particular set was all that great. It just didn't seem to be as balanced as others in the series have been. Again, this is just my opinion.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Jerry Beck (one the primary individuals responsible for the GC series) posted some news regarding certain events that led to this set as well as a bit of optimism for future sets in response to a (very nice) review on Mark Mayerson's blog.

If nothing else, it proves that the set was made with hardcore fans and collectors in mind. The news that Warners will continue to restore the remaining shorts is probably the best news of all.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Forgot to post the link
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Mayerson on Animation: The Last Hurrah

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
That's optimistic?

The situation is pretty dire. Obviously Warner Bros' confidence in the profitability of Looney Tunes on DVD has been severely diminished. Because the earlier sets were so heavily geared towards the obscure/unknown stuff, the low sales of them means we won't be getting any more of them. Ever again.

I agree with everyone that more Road Runner, Tweety, and especially Foghorn should be released. In fact, if Warner hadn't been so piecemeal with the popular shorts, we wouldn't be in this predicament right now.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak

I was referring to the last sentence regarding the optimism. Sorry for not being clear.

I don't disagree that releasing a DVD dominated by the popular Looney Tunes stars would spike up sales. Considering the recent statement of "no double-dips" I would definitely look forward to such a release knowing we wouldn't be getting pre-released GC cartoons in the mix.

I may be a minority in that I've enjoyed the fact that more obscure cartoons were gradually being released into the sets. Sure I enjoy the more popular cartoons as much as the next, but the real "vault" stuff was a treat that really made the sets "must buys". Even though that kind of stuff could very well be sidelined now, I still hope that more rarities are released.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
"one more set to get the lesser known more obscure material out there before the vault doors were completely shut. The Bosko, Buddy, propaganda and one-shot shorts on this set were selected intentionally. We might never have this chance again.

I sleep better knowing PAGE MISS GLORY, BOSKO'S PICTURE SHOW, RUSSIAN RHAPSODY -- and even NORMAN NORMAL -- amongst others included here, are restored.
"

There were more than a couple of masterpieces in this set. This news in disappointing.

I thought this link was funny, 28 reasons to buy this set:

Adventures of J.E. Daniels: LTGC6 Sneek Peek

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I think if WB had gone the route of WDT and released complete collection volumes from the beginning it might have been more of a success, but they didn't, and I don't care, I'm still glad they went the route they did. I own all the WDT and I have to say you can burn yourself out on just Mickey shorts, or Donald, or Goofy, well maybe not Goofy, but you get my point. Have a variety of shorts to choose from in a set or disc saves one from having to get up and change discs when they get bored of a particular character. When WB puts the LT sets on BD maybe they will go the character collection volume route. Disney did show that it was possible that collectors will buy just wartime shorts, or the variety non-recognizable character sets, but for what it's worth I'm happy w/what WB has given us and sure I will be happy w/how they give us the rest as long as they don't double dip.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
You do realize there are a lot more LTMM titles than WDT shorts? 1000 plus vs. 428. It was easier for them to bust them down by Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto and Silly Symphonies.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Well yes, I do realize that, but remember WDT only have 2 discs per set, if WB were to do a BD Bugs Bunny volume set they could do put more episodes on 2 discs or 4 discs, however they want to stretch it out volume wise. I'm only offering suggestions for future releases when they decide to start over on BD. The main argument of my posting was that variety is the spice of life, which WB is doing w/the LTGC sets, unlike the main character releases of WDT.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member

I have to agree with the odd assortment of bonus shorts, most of which would have fit in well with the fourth discs. Some looked good, but a couple are just atrocious and dupey-looking.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Frankly, I'd like to see everything released & I'll be holding my breath until that happens. In the meantime, I don't have a problem with the early and/or obscure stuff being released. Just because these shorts are considered by some to be unpopular doesn't mean they aren't very entertaining.

As long as we're on the subject of character-themed releases I'm also voting for a set of the Bugs/Daffy shorts and of course Porky Pig who starred in approximately 95,324 cartoons of his own. Let's see a box set of those.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I see future sets as being similar to the Woody Woodpeckersets. Something like Bugs Bunny and Friends, Daffy Duck and Friends...etc. By adding "and friends" they can add whatever they want, including the obscure early b&w shorts.

I'm sure that having lots of sets like this on the market will the casual buyer a lot to chose from. A lot of people have the mentality that they have to buy GC 1-5 before they can buy Vol 6. That's a lot of why sales decline with each volume released. Going the Character and friends route would eliminate a lot of that.

Just look at how many different Scooby Doo releases there are. If Scooby was released chronologically in only expenseive 4 disc sets, It probably wouldn't have went past Vol 6 either. Instead there are many different titles to chose from priced reasonably, which is very attractive to the casual buyers and soccer moms.

I think if WB goes that route with Looney Tunes they are sitting on a gold mine. WB characters are very recognizable and kids love them when they are exposed to them.

The WDT sets probably would have sold a lot more for Disney too it they had promoted them the same way they do their platinum edition movie releases.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie

Depends what market one is after, I suppose. To collectors, I think it's most appealing to have shows arranged in such a way that one can buy the complete collection conveniently and arranged in an orderly and consistent manner.

Some shows I see out there, are just all over the place- having tons of one or two-disc releases, and various different collections based on various themes, so that one who just simply wants to have all the material in one collection without duplication is just bewildered, and thus is either turned off or has to do tons of research just to figure out what he needs to buy to have such a collection...if such is even possible.

The all-over-the-board releases would no-doubt appeal to the casual shopper...but I think in the long-run, the collectors are the bread & butter of DVD-series sales. They each do have their polace though- and potential pofitability- as long as the studios offer both options and clearly distinguish between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks