What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6--This Is The End (1 Viewer)

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with this. I forsee them doing character or theme releases without volume numbers. I think that the "average consumer" would be a lot more likely to pick up a 2 disc set entitled "Bugs Bunny: The Crazy Wabbit Collection" for $20 than "Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 7" for $45.

Look how many different Scooby Doo releases that Warner has put out. If they released those similar to the Golden Collections i'm sure that they would not have gone past 6 Volumes either.

Hopefully with theme sets, maybe this will be a good way to sneek in some of the MGM cartoons as well. Maybe a "Tex Avery: The Wild and Routy Collection" (or some such title) that would include WB and MGM shorts. The possibilties are endless.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can't say I blame them for discontinuing this brand and starting another. Would you want to be the guy who has to advertise and build excitement for Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 22?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I finished watching this collection (except for the special features) and I have to say that I'm not all that pleased with this set. If this is what they call 'saving the best for last' then someone really needs to learn the meaning of the word 'best.' Because in my opinion, this was the worst of all of the sets. There were very few (maybe 10) cartoons that I was familiar with. I'm one of those folks that used to watch the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show (the 90 minute version and later reduced to an hour) in the 70s and those are the cartoons that I'm most familiar with and those are the cartoons that I really want. Most of the shorts on those shows were from 1948 and later. At least when I was watching the show. While I have nothing against any of the cartoons produced before 1948, there are not the ones that I'm really after nor are they the ones that I'm familiar with. I enjoy watching them to a degree, but they are not the ones that I continually revist over and over again.

So, needless to say discs 2 and 3 in this set really did nothing for me. For those that really are looking to get the black and white shorts, then this set is a treasure. There are lots of the old black and white shorts.

I did watch the 15 bonus shorts, but these in my opinion were a travesty. The picture and sound were dreadful. It was pretty obvious that no remastering had been done to these shorts. You could see the reel change dots at the end of a couple of them and one of the black and white shorts even jumped a bit at the beginning. Not WB's best work at all.

As I said earlier, I haven't watched the special features other than the bonus shorts so I can't give an opinion on the contents.

All in all, this set, in my opinion, is the worst of the entire collection. I'm really disappointed in it.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I guess Best Buy has a Jerry Beck book included with this set. Too bad I already opened the one I preordered from elsewhere....

MattHR

Screenwriter
Does anyone know of a site(s) with a comprehensive list of the LT cartoons that have been altered for their DVD release, compared to previous VHS and/or LD releases?

I've found several sites that talk about some of them, but none seem to have a comprehensive comparison. I'm also interested in the same info for the Tom & Jerry and Tex Avery cartoons.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

The Best Buy exclusive book is a pocket-sized, shortened version of the Looney Tunes Visual Guide by Jerry Beck. It's just the first 3 chapters.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
This is the way it should have been done from the beginning. I want sets of Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, Claude the Cat, Daffy, and Foghorn Leghorn. The others I couldn't care less about. I hate it when they mix them up and throw in characters no one wants. I have friends who would love to have Foghorn Leghorn sets for Christmas. As it is, I can't buy them a compilation without a bunch of junk on it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
are you serious... if you want to see the same 25 cartoons over and over again that broadcast in every single saturday morning block for the past forty years, just turn on your television set or pick up any one of the dozens upon dozens of home video releases that reissue the same slop. that's what those premiere collections were for. the looney tunes golden collections were great and I'll take any number of obscure one-shots or pre-'48 films over the same overplayed chuck jones 50's cartoons and boring crap like the roadrunner, foghorn leghorn, etc. these people should be applauded for putting together such thoughtful collections appeasing both people like yourselves who only want to watch the same bugs bunny cartoons twenty times in a row and actual film enthusiasts and collectors with an interest in owning the lesser seen but equally great works of these directors.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
So if they go the Popeye route, two smaller releases a year, how much longer would it take to complete this? I don't think going a character specific route at this time would be profitable, b/c for every 5 people that pick up the Bugs Bunny cartoons, you might just get one that picks up the Porky, and that would really kill the line off fast. I think once every cartoon is release, however long that actually takes, then they can go the WDT route and release the complete Bugs Bunny, or Daffy Duck sets.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I'm much happier hitting the "play all" when the cartoon characters are mixed versus 2 hours of the same character.

And who is going to buy a set of The Complete Buddy?

WadeM

Supporting Actor

Hey, don't knock Foghorn...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Seriously, though, I agree that Warner has done a great job. If you count them up between all of the sets, it's split almost evenly between pre-'48 & post-'48. Sure, some will have more of one than the other, but getting the mixture of the ones I've seen a thousand times and the ones I've never seen is great. I was surprised, yet glad, that they finally touched more upon the earliest years with this set (yet there's still 31 post-'48 shorts & 2 TV Specials). When Warner Bros. received the right to all of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, it was a cause for celebration, not disappointment. I would eventually like all of them to be released (pre & post '48).

I also hate the idea of one-character collections. That would be boring. I'd much rather see a mixture.

Having said that, (I hate to say anything negative at this point) I do question why the 15 bonus shorts on the latest set were treated as 2nd rate cartoons. They didn't all look that bad (Boyhood Daze was fine), but Hippety Hopper was almost unwatchable due to the picture--and I don't think that's much of an exaggeration. I understand the Army/Navy shorts being treated like that, but not these normal cartoons. It's nice having an extra disc's worth of shorts, but has there been an explanation anywhere for why these were treated as 2nd rate? (and I don't want to hear that Warner doesn't care, because it's more than obvious they do care).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Hey, watch what you guys say about good ol' Foghorn!

I dislike when any cartoons are grouped by character or theme. We all know each character basically had the same jokes repeated over and over and over.

And over.

These things work best when they're all mixed up, as they were originally released.

My great dream would have been having these released in the equivalent of Season Sets, i.e., Year Sets, as Sony is doing with The Three Stooges now.

Now, those early years would be tough sells.

But starting at, say, 1936, and doing two years at a time, they could have gone through 1964 (past that, I lose interest) in about 14 sets.

If they did three years at a time, it would have taken only 9 or 10 sets.

That's what they should have done!

And we could have easily seen the evolution of the characters; I would have even found it interesting to see how the opening and closing credits evolved (assuming they were all restored to their original versions.)

That's what I would have liked.

But I'm an order freak.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing they'll just redesign, package and brand a new collection and start over again in the same vein with mixed shorts. perhaps even best of sorted by years. and with less features and supplements as it's been stated already that the well is running dry and more shorts content per disc as these films are gradually restored. I wouldn't be surprised either if the releases were cut down to 2-discs and put out bi-annually to boost sales by cushioning cost and doubling profit. I strongly suspect that whenever WHV decides to issue a press statement on the continuity of their Looney Tunes dvd franchise, this is what will be revealed. I'd be willing to take bets.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I see a lot of speculation about how Looney Tunes will proceed on DVD following the just-released sixth and final title to be called "Golden Collection".

Some of what is being guessed at here, especially about whether we'll see the same shorts all over again, directly contradicts what I already posted back in July. This info came "straight from the source" (sorry, can't name names, but this info - while always subject to possible change, of course - is just about as good as it gets!):

The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour DVD news: Update for Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Hope that helps,

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Thanks, David.

If they're not going to release by character (which I still think is a mistake), why not release a set of Oscar-winning & nominated cartoons? Are they afraid if they do this no one will buy the other ones?

My other suggestion would be to release a set featuring 4 or 5 characters, with (for example), All Bugs on disc 1, all Daffy on disc 2, all Sylvester on disc 3 and all Foghorn on disc 4, etc. There are enough characters out there to warrant several of these types of sets. I would think this type of release would boost the sales.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
What I'd really like to see with Looney Tunes, is Burn-On-Demand. Allow us to make custom discs composed of whjatever we want from ALL of the Looney Toons cartoons!

I didn't buy the Golden Collections. As much as I'd love to have an extensive collection of Looney Toons, I wasn't going to take a chance buying these expensive sets, only to fall victim to the underhanded behavior that all of these studios have exhibited. Plus, Nor did I care to purchase these expensive sets which seemed to all contain about 50% material that I would not want.

I don't think just "character" collections (i.e. all Bugs, all Foghorn Leghorn...) are the answer either- as that would not only entail significant double-dipping for those who already bought the Golden Collection, but it would deprive us of variety. (I'd rather watch one or two Bugs eps...then a Roadrunner, then a Sylvester, etc. than to just watch all Bugs...or to have to change discs after every short)

Since they started the Golden Collection, they should have followed through and completed it by not stopping till all the cartoons were released, because now, unless they do the Burn-On-Demand, the Golden Collection owners are going to get shafted....and the rest of us are probably still not going to get what we want.

Sadly, TV on DVD seems to be being ruined by the same poor business and marketing decisions that have killed the rest of the American business landscape. Every company these days, from Ebay to automakers to banks seems to be either alienating their customers/potential customers, or making foolish decisions which cause their own demise. With this behavior so prevalent, I don't see much hope that the DVD industry will fare any better- and in fact, based on their actions already, I'd say they have already proven that they are on a ruinous course.

Somewhere along the line, businesses have forgotten that they must listen to their customers if they want to prosper!

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
To snag people like me, they'd have to make a set of "Less Popular Looney Toons" or "The Ones no One Remembers" or "The Ones That Weren't Even In The Running". Seems I never like the popular ones, or the Emmy winners- Same with music- I'd never buy an albumn of #1 hits....but I'd be likely to buy "The Lost Ol;dies" or "One-Hit Wonders" or the "Hard To Find On CD" albumns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks