What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5 (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Anybody care to compare prices, or is that supposed to be in another forum? I know BestBuy had it for $44.95.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You thought correctly about the WBHV TV, Animation, and Sports folks handling Tom and Jerry. You thought incorrectly when you supposed they did not also handle the Looney Tunes releases.

Regards,

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I don't know if this has been talked about before, but it always annoys me and would seem pretty easy to fix. In the short "Buccaneer Bunny" there is a scene where Bugs is standing in front of a door that says NGER, UN, WDER. It is supposed to say DANGER GUN POWDER. If this scene had been windowboxed a little you could understand why Bugs was throwing matches in there to upset someone. I am not saying they should windowbox everything, but when important stuff is missing it just seems to be common sense to do this. I have seen many MGM Tex Avery cartoons where gags are missing completetly because of this.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

But is that a problem with the transfer/mastering, or just an overscan issue?

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Well if anybody else who has seen it can read the whole thing I would be interested in finding out.

TravisD

Agent
Real Name
Travis D
On my WinDVD cap it's fine(can't post a link yet),...I use a HTPC for viewing,so at least it's not source issue IMHO.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I just watch my DVD on a normal 32 inch screen. I don't have anything fancy and I can't see it.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Is it a CRT? Find out how to go into Service Menu on your TV and eliminate overscan.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I have a sharp TV and really can't figure out how to find a overscan option. I am glad that it isn't a DVD problem and is just my stupid TV's fault.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Google for: Sharp [your model] service menu (and/or overscan). If it isn't too old of a set, you should find the instructions without a problem.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Okay, I'm confused then. I know I've read somewhere that the Looney Tunes are handled by the same department that handles Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, etc., i.e. the classic films catalog department. Hence the 4K Ultra Resolution restorations. Did this change, and if so, when?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Who knows, then? It may just have more to do with a lack of interest on their part on the MGM cartoons. The Scooby Doo season sets are by the same people, yet they have A+ remasters. Tom & Jerry and Droopy have been handled with the least amount of effort. Perhaps it's because the existing MGM cartoon video masters are "fine" while the old WB cartoon transfers are generally 4-F in quality (except for the surprisingly nice quality transfers of the Harmon-Ising cartoons).

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
The Family Division folks answered some Looney Tunes questions because they were asked them and I guess did have some knowledge about them, but no, they do not produce the sets. Looney Tunes is indeed handled by the Warner "A" team.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Also, the theatrical catalog folks do not answer questions about the Looney Tunes when they participate in their chats. While Warner has separate marketing division for Theatrical New Releases, Theatrical Catalog, and TV/Animation/Sports (sometimes called TV and Franchise), I do not believe their organizational chimney is such that they cannot share technical resources. Not every animation release is treated like the Looney Tunes sets, but then again, not every theatrical catalog release is treated like "The Wizard of Oz".

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks