What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 3 (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I agree completely! After watching the T&J set, I got a real hunger for more! Too me, the WArner cartoons are funny, while the Disney shorts are more artisitic. The MGM toons are more of a blending of the both: craftmanship of Disney with the wild humor of Warners. IT's a real shame we don't get more MGM stuff, and the stuff we do get is edited.:frowning:

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
The two cartoons I'm still waiting for are "A Tale Of Two Kitties" with Tweety vs Babbitt and Catstello ("Hey Babbitt - Look at me, I'm a Spitfire p-p-p-p-t!") and that one (the title escapes me for the moment) with Porky vs the four cats who try to convince him the Martians have landed. (Best line - "Aarrre we men or are we mice? Well, I like a piece of cheese...")

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

Strewth! How did I miss that one?

But I honestly can't see myself getting "They Died With Their Boots On" to pick up "Kitties".

Oh well, off to preorder my volume three set :D

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

I'd prefer to see separate Complete Tom and Jerry and Tex Avery sets with the rest of the MGM cartoons (Harman-Ising, Captain and the Kids, Bosco, Barney Bear, etc) given their own set. Sadly, Warner have already taken their own misguided route with T&J, and while they are rumoured to be considering an Avery set will probably never tackle the other, underrated MGM shorts as they don't have the resonance of the LT, T&J and Avery "brands".

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Anyone else notice how little attention this thread is getting?

Are we going to get an HTF review. I'm not buying until I see a formal review from a professinal reviewer due to WB's mis-treatment of their animated catalog. I simply can't take the chance on supporting another lackluster effort.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There as so many dvd releases and so little time to do them. Furthermore, many of these releases have so much material like this one, it's really going to take some time to do it right.

Crawdaddy

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
To plagiarize my post from another board:

Okay, to start with, here is a corrected list of commentaries:

You can skip over the Whoopi introductions by pressing the menu button.

I did a quick preliminary check, freeze-framing cartoons to see if there were any interlacing artifacts, and I didn't find any (though I must admit that I wasn't looking in great detail). I'm not good at spotting DVNR, so others will have to decide which ones over-use the process.

The menus are a big improvement on the first two sets.

The black-and-white cartoons are all in black-and-white, and a preliminary check reveals no cuts (the marijuana reference is there in "Gonzales' Tamales," etc.).

I still have to watch most of it, but so far it seems like an improvement over volume 2 in terms of presentation and over volume 1 in terms of the variety of cartoons chosen. Certainly it doesn't have the problems the Tom and Jerry set has, except the presence of Whoopi Goldberg (which you can skip over).

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

Yes, but for some reason most stores in Toronto don't have it. HMV got it (that's where I got my copy), but no one else as far as I can see.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
No bilingual cover art? Phew . . .the spines will still somewhat match-up when I buy it this weekend. Plus this gives me hope that Batman: The Animated Series Vol. 4 and Superman: The Animated Series Vol. 2 will be bilingual free.

But most stores in Toronto didn't get it? That's really odd. I hope my stores at least got a few copies . . . I may have to get this set sooner than expected.

But still - no bilingual art! WOO-HOO!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Not sure what La Whoopi is doing on this set but I love her so I for one will be watching whatever she does.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Yipe. All I can say is that the copies of these sets I got at HMV were non-bilingual. They must have gotten them from a different distribution source.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I will definitely have to check this out. I know my HMV got bilingual Batman Begins, so they are getting Canadian editions. Maybe I'll do some comparisons between stores, see if they all get bilingual, or if so do and some don't.

I'd at least like the Batman Volume 4, the last volume I have to get, to match up with the previous three. Damn this bilingual stuff . . .

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The restoration featurette revealed that they use Ultra Resolution on the Technicolor cartoons. Best of all, the digital restoration they apply is manual (like Criterion's MTI system). They even mention that they aimed to take out problems with the film elements (chemical stains, dirt, scratches, etc.), but didn't touch what was photographed-in like cel dust and ink spots.

RyanWM

Auditioning

Whoopi's introduction basically points out that she has always been a cartoon fan and explains why the Looney Tunes are a part of American culture. She then goes on to explain that there are a number of jokes that demean blacks, women, and minorities. She explains that this was common at the time, and that these jokes weren't funny then and they aren't funny now, but to omit them would be as bad as saying that they never existed. They must be seen as a product of their time. She also points out that, despite the slurs, Warner Bros. was very open- they hired one of the first black animators, and many women provided voice talents.

I applaud Warner Bros. for doing this- hiring a prominent black actor to explain the sometimes insulting gags (although many can be humorous, at least in my opinion. I'm white, I don't know what some African-Americans think) is a nice way to point out the long history of black humor (not to be confused with "black humor"- you know, like The War of the Roses) that penetrated American culture for many years. African-Americans and other minorities, as well as women, were treated as lesser-class citizens in the media and in real life. I think it is nice that a large studio can both keep these sorts of jokes in their old cartoons where they belong, as well as explaining that they don't belong in today's society.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I didn't know why Whoopi had been brought in, but I'm glad she was - she brings up a very important point. We can't erase our past, and although we shouldn't necessarily aspire to it, we should understand that it is a part of our background.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Jaime, could you kindly give me a brief synopsis of the interlaced issues, (errors?) in the previous set(s)? I would appreciate it!

Cheers! d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks