What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2 - List of cartoons (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
So what about documentaries made for television, such as PBS Frontlines or Ken Burns. TV Shows or Films & Documentaries? :) :) :)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
If I'm not mistaken, Another Froggy Evening is on the 2-disc Space Jam DVD.

P.S.: To me this isn't about where exactly this thread should go, but more about respecting the origins of these shorts, just as most of us respect the original aspect ratio. To equate the classic Looney Tunes to a TV show is just as bad, in my humble opinion, as watching a pan-and-scan feature film. I may be wrong, though. Sorry to perpetuate this; I don't mean to...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
If I'm not mistaken, Another Froggy Evening is on the 2-disc Space Jam DVD.

P.S.: To me this isn't about where exactly this thread should go, but more about respecting the origins of these shorts, just as most of us respect the original aspect ratio. To equate the classic Looney Tunes to a TV show is just as bad, in my humble opinion, as watching a pan-and-scan feature film. I may be wrong, though. Sorry to perpetuate this; I don't mean to...

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I agree that this should definitely be in the film section. Clearly and without question. I also understand why it is in the TV section. I think it is puzzling that this particular thread hasn't been moved, only because other threads seem to be moved from one forum to another regularly. It doesn't bother me, though.

(Honestly, I think it was silly to break up the Software forum to begin with. It just confuses things. I'd love it if they were recombined.

I also think it is really absurd that the other forum is called "Film and Documentary," as though documentaries weren't films. And if they want to break it down, what about other non-movie, non-TV titles, like how-to videos, exercise videos, callibration DVDs, rock concerts, etc. Why aren't they named? Are they less important than documentaries? I think they should just rename the other forum "Movies," since everybody already knows that's what they mean. It would, of course, be more correct to name it something like "Non-TV," but that gives movies the short shrift. More reasonable would be to rename this forum "Non-Movies," or something to that effect, and movie all of the "questionable" titles here.)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I agree that this should definitely be in the film section. Clearly and without question. I also understand why it is in the TV section. I think it is puzzling that this particular thread hasn't been moved, only because other threads seem to be moved from one forum to another regularly. It doesn't bother me, though.

(Honestly, I think it was silly to break up the Software forum to begin with. It just confuses things. I'd love it if they were recombined.

I also think it is really absurd that the other forum is called "Film and Documentary," as though documentaries weren't films. And if they want to break it down, what about other non-movie, non-TV titles, like how-to videos, exercise videos, callibration DVDs, rock concerts, etc. Why aren't they named? Are they less important than documentaries? I think they should just rename the other forum "Movies," since everybody already knows that's what they mean. It would, of course, be more correct to name it something like "Non-TV," but that gives movies the short shrift. More reasonable would be to rename this forum "Non-Movies," or something to that effect, and movie all of the "questionable" titles here.)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
If you want to get technical about it, then why is there a thread about the "Night Stalker/Night Strangler" TV movies in the "film" forum? These were produced for TV, not theatres, so technially they should be in this forum, right?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
If you want to get technical about it, then why is there a thread about the "Night Stalker/Night Strangler" TV movies in the "film" forum? These were produced for TV, not theatres, so technially they should be in this forum, right?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Yes they should be just like the Ken Burns documentaries because both were made for TV but we did not have this TV forum when those reviews/threads were done so all TV related posts were done in the main Software forum at that time.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Yes they should be just like the Ken Burns documentaries because both were made for TV but we did not have this TV forum when those reviews/threads were done so all TV related posts were done in the main Software forum at that time.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Am I hallucinating here? I just found this thread and 99% of it consists of griping about which forum this wonderful set should be posted in!? It's not enough simply crying about lack of extras or how many discs a series is contained on ... but now where the release news is listed?

IMO, I like it in the television forum. I'm in my 40s and grew up with them on TV. I think the difference between these cartoons and features like KING KONG is that they're not theatrical features, but short subjects. Yes, technically they are "films," but this whole whining contest just perplexes me.

Someone else I know who frequents these sites (who will remain nameless unless he chooses to speak up himself) always used to tell me "people are never satisfied and always will bitch about something". I'm beginning to know what he means!

Sorry for the rant, but it's just that I think we should be concentrating more on the release itself. It wasn't too long ago that people were complaining that these cartoons weren't being released at all.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Did I stumble in to some bizzar parity of the Star Wars on DVD thread?

Seriously, a few points to hit upon.

First relating to the actual set, I'm looking forward to it. I'm glad that it is a little heavier on Road Runner cartoons as I always loved those, not a Porky Pig fan really but what are you gonna do? I'll pick this up release date hands down.

Now then, I personally don't care where this discussion goes. I saw all of these on television, yet I knew that they were originally presented in theaters. I check both forums, so I would've found this eventually.

I am wondering something though, and I'm not looking to pick a fight I swear it. I saw all of these cartoons on television growing up, even though I know that they were originally seen in theaters. The same was also true of the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck cartoons, I saw them on TV as a child even though they aired in theaters originally, but yet TVShowsOnDVD.com doesn't cover the Walt Disney Treasures sets, even if they include some of the old Wonderful World of Disney shows from the 50's. So, I'm just curious with why Gord and David don't cover that kind of material also, because like I said my introduction to those Disney characters was in shows made of their shorts and shown on the Disney channel back when it didn't suck. I've always just been curious about that, and I promise not to pick a fight with any answer I'm given...really its not even an issue as I love that site emensely anyway.

Oh, and back to the set for a second...the idea of releasing character specific was something I thought was a good idea at first, and yet the problem is that certain characters would probably bomb, so it makes more sense to release these types of sets. However, also I'd like to be counted among those that wants to see more Speedy Gonzales cartoons on future releases, he's one of my favorites.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Answer is fairly simple: they ought to be covered at our site where appropriate, at least in my opinion. Gord may disagree, and it's his site so his opinion is the only one that matters in the end. However, I'd gladly take up the debate with him if he didn't agree. BUT...we're behind in what we KNOW we have to post, obvious TV show-wise, both in news and in releases. We also have release items by the score that are missing final data or cover art or whatever. We haven't the time right now to go looking for new stuff to post at the site: every day dozens of items show up at our doorstep, looking for time and space to be posted at TVShowsOnDVD.com. Mind you, it's not the worst problem in the world to have! :laugh:

Mark*Will

Auditioning
Random question... over the years I've had it programmed into my head that at the end of the Looney Tunes cartoons when the music starts playing that Porky pops out of the center circle and says "Be-deep, be-deep, be-deep...That's all folks."

I've watched all 48 cartoons on Vol. 1 and that didn't happen on any of them. Is the famous Porky signature line something from only the tv show? Where did it gain its notoriety? Thanks to anyone in the know.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I wondered the same thing myself actually when I watched them. At the end of each short, I actually expected to hear it. It was sort of odd that Porky's "That's All Folks!" tagline never showed up. I'd also like to know the reason behind this.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Porky's "That's All Folks" was used in Looney Tunes (not Merrie Melodies) from the late '30s through the mid-'40s. In a couple of mid-'40s cartoons they experimented with having Bugs appear at the end, saying "And that's the end" (see "Baseball Bugs"), but this was abandoned, and in 1946 the Looney Tunes switched to the same "written" ending as the Merrie Melodies.

The Porky tagline is in one cartoon on Volume 1: "Yankee Doodle Daffy" (disc 2). It'll be in several cartoons on volume 2, including "Porky in Wackyland" and "You Ought To Be in Pictures" and perhaps some others (depending on how many "Blue Ribbon" cartoons are restored with their original titles).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks