What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2 - List of cartoons (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

That's the problem. I'm only 24, and I don't pretend to have seen any of them in theaters, but I am aware these are theatrical shorts. I too have only seen them on TV, but when people equate them to TV episodes, that really gets me. I'm sorry if I've hijacked this thread, I won't comment on this issue again. I am very much looking forward to these though, and hopefully the second volume will be as good as the first, with many extras, commentaries, music-only tracks, etc.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

That's the problem. I'm only 24, and I don't pretend to have seen any of them in theaters, but I am aware these are theatrical shorts. I too have only seen them on TV, but when people equate them to TV episodes, that really gets me. I'm sorry if I've hijacked this thread, I won't comment on this issue again. I am very much looking forward to these though, and hopefully the second volume will be as good as the first, with many extras, commentaries, music-only tracks, etc.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I agree...

...that this is a silly thing to argue about.

I was born in '68. I remember the saturday-morning cartoons. While I'm aware they are truly theatrical shorts, to me they are still part of my childhood TV memories. I think discussion in either forum is valid.

... still silly to fight about it though ... ;)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I agree...

...that this is a silly thing to argue about.

I was born in '68. I remember the saturday-morning cartoons. While I'm aware they are truly theatrical shorts, to me they are still part of my childhood TV memories. I think discussion in either forum is valid.

... still silly to fight about it though ... ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, guys, like I said, I don't care where on the HTF this thread exists. I'm sure Gord doesn't either. Does it really matter so much in the end?

Back to the subject: it was pointed out to me that the "Rabbit Hood" cartoon which Warner included on The Adventures of Robin Hood (Error Flynn) DVD isn't on Vol. 2, and of course it wasn't on V1 either.

Wasn't there a list someone here at HTF was compiling of all the Looney Tunes shorts that had been put onto other DVDs but which hadn't made it to a Golden Collection release yet? If so, where is it? I can't find it! (And yeah, I searched the Film section, too! :p) )

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, guys, like I said, I don't care where on the HTF this thread exists. I'm sure Gord doesn't either. Does it really matter so much in the end?

Back to the subject: it was pointed out to me that the "Rabbit Hood" cartoon which Warner included on The Adventures of Robin Hood (Error Flynn) DVD isn't on Vol. 2, and of course it wasn't on V1 either.

Wasn't there a list someone here at HTF was compiling of all the Looney Tunes shorts that had been put onto other DVDs but which hadn't made it to a Golden Collection release yet? If so, where is it? I can't find it! (And yeah, I searched the Film section, too! :p) )

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This looks great! I can't wait to watch these theatrical shorts on my TV.
;)

tIt is a little heavy on the roadrunner, but it has some classics (Great Piggy Bank Roberry is probably my favorite, and the one that I missed the most of the first volume.) I'm not familiar with the titles on a lot of these, so how many of these are Chuck Jones cartoons? That was my main complaint with vol 1, too much Jones. He's good and all, but I'll take Clampett and Avery over him any day!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This looks great! I can't wait to watch these theatrical shorts on my TV.
;)

tIt is a little heavy on the roadrunner, but it has some classics (Great Piggy Bank Roberry is probably my favorite, and the one that I missed the most of the first volume.) I'm not familiar with the titles on a lot of these, so how many of these are Chuck Jones cartoons? That was my main complaint with vol 1, too much Jones. He's good and all, but I'll take Clampett and Avery over him any day!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

Chuck Jones: 22 (11 Road Runner, 11 others)
Friz Freleng: 22 (9 Tweety, 13 others)
Bob Clampett: 8
Tex Avery: 4
Bob McKimson: 2
Frank Tashlin: 1
Cal Dalton & Ben Hardaway: 1

Take out the two big chunks devoted to series characters (that is, the 11 Road Runners and 9 Tweetys), and Freleng is represented the most, with Jones and Clampett following.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

Chuck Jones: 22 (11 Road Runner, 11 others)
Friz Freleng: 22 (9 Tweety, 13 others)
Bob Clampett: 8
Tex Avery: 4
Bob McKimson: 2
Frank Tashlin: 1
Cal Dalton & Ben Hardaway: 1

Take out the two big chunks devoted to series characters (that is, the 11 Road Runners and 9 Tweetys), and Freleng is represented the most, with Jones and Clampett following.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Why is this thread in the TV Shows section?
As it has been pointed out these are theatrical releases and not TV shows even though they later played on TV. What is being released are the original theatrical releases and not the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show TV version. Just because many of us grew up with them on TV doesn't mean they belong here. Most of us in this forum grew up with every pre-1970 movie on TV. So that would mean any old movie review should always be placed in TV Forum beccause we grew up with it on TV.

Threads are constantly closed and merged for far less and much sillier reasons so why should this be an exception?
Calling these Looney Tunes Classics a TV show makes them sound like they were cheaply animated Saturday Morning cartoons which they were not. This thread should be merged with the main thread in the Software section.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Why is this thread in the TV Shows section?
As it has been pointed out these are theatrical releases and not TV shows even though they later played on TV. What is being released are the original theatrical releases and not the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner show TV version. Just because many of us grew up with them on TV doesn't mean they belong here. Most of us in this forum grew up with every pre-1970 movie on TV. So that would mean any old movie review should always be placed in TV Forum beccause we grew up with it on TV.

Threads are constantly closed and merged for far less and much sillier reasons so why should this be an exception?
Calling these Looney Tunes Classics a TV show makes them sound like they were cheaply animated Saturday Morning cartoons which they were not. This thread should be merged with the main thread in the Software section.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Please keep this thread here in the TV section, where it belongs. We all know these were originally theatrical shorts, but how many of us actually saw them in the theater? We grew up watching these on TV, complete, and uncut on The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour. For people to nitpick over whether or not the thread belongs here is silly. I still wonder why the "Underdog" DVD set thread was listed here, when in fact it wasn't anything like the TV show that originally aired. The fact remains that mostly everyone who remembers Looney Toons, remembers them from watching them on TV. I would expect similar threads should be allowed here for shows like The Little Rascals, and The Three Stooges. Yes we know they were all made for the theater, and I doubt anyone here ever saw them there. The bottom line is that many people who read the TV show threads (myself included) never go to the theatrical movie section because they have no interest in movies, just TV shows. By leaving the thread here, this will benefit those of us who fall in that category.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Please keep this thread here in the TV section, where it belongs. We all know these were originally theatrical shorts, but how many of us actually saw them in the theater? We grew up watching these on TV, complete, and uncut on The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour. For people to nitpick over whether or not the thread belongs here is silly. I still wonder why the "Underdog" DVD set thread was listed here, when in fact it wasn't anything like the TV show that originally aired. The fact remains that mostly everyone who remembers Looney Toons, remembers them from watching them on TV. I would expect similar threads should be allowed here for shows like The Little Rascals, and The Three Stooges. Yes we know they were all made for the theater, and I doubt anyone here ever saw them there. The bottom line is that many people who read the TV show threads (myself included) never go to the theatrical movie section because they have no interest in movies, just TV shows. By leaving the thread here, this will benefit those of us who fall in that category.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
How many people here saw:
Adventures of Robin Hood, Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca or countless others in the theater? A few maybe as re-releases just as Looney Toons have been re-released at theaters from time to time but the bottom line is all old films were originally seen by most of us here on TV but it doesn't mean they are TV shows. To assume so makes one sound extremely arrogant "I saw this on TV 1st so it should be changed to a TV show forever" I have spoken and so it shall be done". So either all old movies should be listed here or this thread should be moved to the Software section where it belongs. This is not about the release of the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show which featured time compressed versions and had all original credits removed. This is about the original Looney Toons that were theatrical releases.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
How many people here saw:
Adventures of Robin Hood, Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Casablanca or countless others in the theater? A few maybe as re-releases just as Looney Toons have been re-released at theaters from time to time but the bottom line is all old films were originally seen by most of us here on TV but it doesn't mean they are TV shows. To assume so makes one sound extremely arrogant "I saw this on TV 1st so it should be changed to a TV show forever" I have spoken and so it shall be done". So either all old movies should be listed here or this thread should be moved to the Software section where it belongs. This is not about the release of the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show which featured time compressed versions and had all original credits removed. This is about the original Looney Toons that were theatrical releases.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if you want to get technical, that other forum is called HT Software - Film and Documentary; NOT HT Software - Originally released theaterically.

And while Looney Tunes may have originally had a theatrical release, they are neither a film nor a documentary.

Now, I agree that they probably fit more in that other forum, but I'm firmly in the "who cares" camp, and am 'nitpicking' only to help demonstrate how silly this has become. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if you want to get technical, that other forum is called HT Software - Film and Documentary; NOT HT Software - Originally released theaterically.

And while Looney Tunes may have originally had a theatrical release, they are neither a film nor a documentary.

Now, I agree that they probably fit more in that other forum, but I'm firmly in the "who cares" camp, and am 'nitpicking' only to help demonstrate how silly this has become. :)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think that this thread should probably be merged with the other one, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. (I'll probably stop reading if this "it is/isn't a TV show" argument goes on much longer.)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think that this thread should probably be merged with the other one, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. (I'll probably stop reading if this "it is/isn't a TV show" argument goes on much longer.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks