What's new

Looks like the Donner cut of Superman II may have jumped through its legal hurdles!!! (1 Viewer)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Only problem with this statement is that Singer went on the record talking about how he was thinking about using footage from the earlier films "but not in the way you think". The way I read it at the time was that he was saying it would not be used in montage or anything to set up the new film. The Brando rumor came sometime after this interview and from a source that was right about a lot of other things that were initially rebuked.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

I dunno, it seems like every story stems from The Latino Review, and they don't seem particularly more dependable than any other website which makes its money by pumping the rumor mill and getting fanboys excited. But I don't know them, I've never heard of them prior to the publicity they've gotten from this "scoop", so I don't know whether they're dependable or not. I just think it's a bit early to take one rumor (which, at best, is unconfirmed and, at worst, has been officially denied) as evidence that we'll finally be getting the Donner cut of 'Superman II'. I think it's premature to get excited, that's all.

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

Donner did shoot the Niagara Falls sequence. Here's a behind the scenes still (confirmed by Christopher Reeve) of Donner's crew filming it.

Whether Donner's footage is usable or not is another matter, of course! :)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Well, seeing as how his editor/composer John Ottman was completely sure that this film had no relationship to the original series DESPITE Singer's public comments, how do we even know that Warner has any idea what's going on? Singer was saying in that interview about the footage that he was "talking" about using some, but who's to say that the rumor hitting the net didn't come directly from someone in Singer's personal camp before it even went through the approval process at the studio?

Again, a lot of the stuff coming from that Latino Review source seems to be pretty instant and secured news from Singer's mouth. I'm just saying that I think we overestimate the lines of communications sometimes when it comes to the Internet. After all, in the comic book industry many pros find out they are fired from the Internet before they hear it from their bosses.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
James, in the making of book it states that Donner's main crew did not go to Niagara Falls because they were way behind schedule.

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
That's a fair point, Dharmesh. But Christopher Reeve positively identified that picture as the Superman crew shooting Lois Lane at Niagara Falls.

It's clearly not from Lester's shoot, as her clothes are completely different. So who's shoot was it from, if not Donner's?

As you know, David Petrou's book doesn't cover the whole period of shooting, and some of the magazine articles at the time of Superman The Movie's release do mention that filming took place at Niagara Falls.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
You're right, the book doesn't cover everything but I can't see where they actually fit Niagara Falls into their schedule.

Chris Reeve verified it? What source?

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
But did that interview take place before shooting began with Dick Lester?

Anyway, I sense everyone's hard work over the last few years is coming to an exciting conclusion; I really believe that a Superman 2 SE is going to happen.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
At least Warner confirmed they were still looking into it as of their official chat. I would just love to hear if there is any progress is finding the footage.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
That's the million dollar question; is the footage usable.

I'll be quite content with a deleted scenes section but it must be exhaustive, or at least edited as complete scenes.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Judging from everything Warner has said (official response to write-in campaign, DVD mag article, chat, etc.), they plan on doing at least that much. But with the special editions of Batman (including director's cut of Forever)... and their eager willingness to do all these massive restorations lately (silly Blade Runner legal issues!)... there's a very good chance that Superman 2's complete restoration will happen.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they did two different cuts for the first two films followed by new documentaries chronicaling the controversy over II and updating the Christopher Reeve comments on the supplements for the first movie. I hope they get Mark McClure back, as he added a real heart to the behind-the-scenes material. I also wouldn't be surprised if some Superman Returns PR was included. Either way, it's pretty much a guarantee that we're getting a few SE 2-discs around June next year!

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Some interesting links regarding restoring Superman II:

Links deleted by moderator. DO NOT REPOST.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I hope that reference to the alternate fate of the Kryptonian villains, if it's being carted off by the police, has not been restored in this cut. The interviews I have state that Lester shot that version for the Salkinds as an open ending if they wanted to bring them back for sequels. I don't believe it had anything to do with Donner.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I hate the artwork! Superman, what does manage to resemble him, looks angry and that women behind him is unrecognizable!

But that's minor. I'm gonna try my best to get this DVD.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

That original ending as seen in the extended version is, in fact, a Donner clip, and for one obvious reason: Gene Hackman. All of the Hackman footage for II was shot by Richard Donner, as Hackman filmed nothing for Lester. Plus, compare the hair styles of Margot Kidder and Christopher Reeve in that sequence - they are consistent with what Donner shot. Anything that appears otherwise, with Kidder's hair frizzy and the S curl on Reeve's forehead softer and less prominent, is a Lester shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks