What's new

Looks like Paramount has an out clause (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Universal may indeed be getting ready to support blu. That press statement just released doesn't contradict that. It only says that (at this moment) they're not *dropping* HD DVD.

And they certainly won't drop it before Jan 31.

Who said they wouldn't be coming out? It's just a matter of what color the packing will be.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm acutely aware of that, David. I'm referring to and continuing discussion of matters of debate prior to your later entrance into this thread--namely U purportedly being "poised" (the Financial Times' word) to drop HD DVD support, and the yet-to-be-confirmed-by-anyone-on-the-record assertion yesterday by the L.A. Times and today by Daily Variety that U's commitment to HD DVD already expired or expires January 31, 2008 depending on which rumor you believe.

We're all aware you agree with Bill Hunt that it's all over if U and/or Par *adds* support for HD DVD. However, as evinced by others' posts here, some of us who've actually purchased HD DVD players have a somewhat different perspective.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The last comment of your post in question (#81) belies that.

You weren't engaged in debating, but you were sure as hell intimating. The causal intimation resulting from your comments to me followed by your responsive query of/comment to Bryan--lubricated by the fact that we all know what color flag you exclusively fly--is that he should just be content with possible BDs of all the Universal HD DVDs he'd been hoping to buy. This entirely misses the point I'm making in my reference to a "somewhat different perspective": Bryan, myself and others have hardware and software investments that we are variously proud off, concerned about, etc. and ardent BD advocates often shaded commentary about what Par and U may do from here isn't at all sensitive to those issues/feelings.

And yeah yeah yeah I'm aware of your "peace offering" (about which I've said--and will continue to say--my piece in that thread).

Post edited: I mistakenly attributed quoted comments by Bryan to Andrew. Apologies to all for any confusion/misunderstanding.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

well expressed.

And if the person in question is a red-only consumer I see that point of view.

Most HD DVD consumers I know also do blu.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Fox is out of their mind. I just laughed when I saw a 36.00 dollar price tag for a barebones copy of "Robocop". I think "Robo" is some classic cheese, but 36 bucks worth....no way.....especially when I can pick up a brand new flick like "Pan's Labyrinth" for 27.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Thanks for the compliment. But again you apparently can't help yourself: one's understanding of that broader point shouldn't IMO be predicated upon the "person in question" being an HD DVD-exclusive consumer. It's a reasonable and not difficult-to-understand issue that is not mitigated by the fact that, say, I like my DMP-BD10A and am salivating over the BD50. ;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I think this is a very important point. If you love movies, the movies are there (most likely also those Universal-titles), you just have to see past the "format war". When Paramount went HD DVD, I picked up HD DVD-player. End of problem. ;)

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I was looking more closely at my Local Best Buy's Blu-Ray selection.

Pretty much every single Paramount title that came out before dropping Blu-Ray, is still there with about 3 or 4 copies.

Also, That was 5 months ago. That's how slow they sell.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice to have Paramount in the Blu-Ray camp, but of the "Major" studios, I own less Paramount titles than any other studio. (Star Trek - excepted) So I wouldn't miss having catalog Paramount titles on Blu-Ray since they are few & very far between on SD DVDs anyways.

Any one that would pay that price for that title is well......
Deeply discounted prices can be found online with a liitle effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks