What's new

Looks like Mill Creek got the bottom of Disney's barrel... (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
When I heard that Mill Creek would be releasing one of my favorite popcorn movies May 15, 2012 on Blu-ray (Terminal Velocity), I remembered this thread, but some of these movies are not "bottom of the barrel" for my wanted titles. While there are no tech specs listed, I'm sure the Blu-ray will be lossless 2.0 instead of the 5.1 on the DVD. A lossless 5.1 mix could have been awesome, especially for the action sequences. I will be pleasantly surprised and happy if the BD does turn out to have 5.1 lossless.
The titles listed from my link below are for releases starting tomorrow April 3, 2012. You can re-sort the list in various ways. Look for other notable titles coming soon like D.O.A. (Quaid/Ryan), White Squall, Before and After, New York Stories, Duets.
http://www.millcreekent.com/products/new-releases.html?dir=asc&order=street_date&p=9
At least Mill Creek uses lossless audio and OAR for a good price ($10 SRP), unlike other companies (see below).
I wish Disney would provide 5.1 surround tracks.
I read the High-Def Digest article "You're Still Doing it Wrong: More Blu-ray Blunders" and chuckled when I read about studios licensing lesser-desired titles to companies like Echo Bridge. No mention of Mill Creek.

RKR1970

Agent
Real Name
Richard Karl Ryan
The last set of masters Paramount licensed to Olive FIlms for BD really suck. Who’s Minding The Store? might be the worst looking BD I own (with Who’s Got The Action? and The Mountain for a close second and third).

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
cafink said:
What could be the reasoning behind omitting the 5.1 track on the titles that have one available?  If a serviceable, already-released-on-DVD 5.1 track exists for a movie, is it appreciably more difficult to use that than a 2.0 track?
I always get confused on what setting I should have on my receiver for these 2.0 track releases. I assume most of them, including the Fox stereo films that have been put out only as 2.0 mix means that the rear and center is within the two tracks. I have so many options on my Denon...Neo this and Neo that, but I assume that the matrix is the setting to play it through??? It sounded pretty good on THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, but I wish they companies would be more specific on what setting you should use.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Pro-logicIIx
John Morgan said:
I always get confused on what setting I should have on my receiver for these 2.0 track releases. I assume most of them, including the Fox stereo films that have been put out only as 2.0 mix means that the rear and center is within the two tracks. I have so many options on my Denon...Neo this and Neo that, but I assume that the matrix is the setting to play it through??? It sounded pretty good on THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, but I wish they companies would be more specific on what setting you should use.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
MatthewA said:
Reminds me of the Anchor Bay DVDs. I remember hearing how Michael Eisner hit the roof when AB got praise for making better DVDs than Disney was. They even put a stop to their effort to reconstruct the original version of Watcher in the Woods.
I'd love the Roadshow version of Happiest Millionaire on DVD (I think Hallmark's master is the short version). Throw in The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band while they're at it. Neither of them had anamorphic DVDs (Millionaire looked worse on Disney's DVD than AB's, and Family Band is not OAR), and I doubt they'll ever get released if they're done in-house.
If they're getting mainly the titles Eisner called "singles and doubles" from Touchstone, here are my suggestions:
Ruthless People
What About Bob? (another non-anamorphic DVD)
Noises Off…
Sister Act (a musical version is opening on Broadway)
The Ref (was on HDNet Movies a few years ago, so an HD master exists)
I would buy "Noises Off", "The Ref" and "Ruthless People" IMMEDIATELY on Blu-Ray!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
There is good news! On Blu-ray.com they only say "DTS-HD 5.1" (to nitpick the lingo) for Terminal Velocity. DVD Empire usually has great back cover scans, but they don't even have the latest Mill Creek BDs listed. Blu-ray.com doesn't have a back cover scan either.
But I have the disc in-hand and it says "English 5.1". Uh oh! There is an extra statement, though: "DTS-HD Master Audio(TM) is the premium high definition audio format which is identical to the audio master (lossless)." Then there is the logo "dts-HD Master Audio | 5.1" nearby.
The only problem is that I cannot test the audio as my system is out-of-commission at the moment. I'm hoping it rocks the house!
Awesome job, Mill Creek! This is a great example of improvement from prior releases. Maybe White Squall will also sound awesome.
The movie is 1080p in a 2.40:1 aspect ratio. There is a standard definition trailer as an extra.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I just rewatched DEEP RISING and was reminded how extremely well-made (and entertaining) the film was. The perfect modern monster movie - even the special effects were well done. I remember this DVD as being one of the better-looking letterboxed transfers back in the day but it definitely needs an upgrade.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I haven't seen it in years, but I, too, would love to see Deep Rising on Blu-ray and would definitely purchase it!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It's a goofy movie, but I watched it on the iPad with my wife when we went for a cruise with her family in April (seemed.... appropriate) and it really holds up. Some of the FX aren't great, but it's a helluva lot more fun than most of Stephen Sommers' other movies, save perhaps for the first MUMMY .

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have Terminal Velocity in front of me and on the back it clearly shows DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, 1080P. It appears to be a BD25.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'd like to see Disney's 1998 remake of MIGHTY JOE YOUNG on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks