What's new

Looks like it will be a Superman/Batman team up movie for 2004... (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Regarding the casting of Superman:
I'm surprised nobody has stated the most obvious choice. Come on guys...it's staring you right in the face! Link Removed
He would be perfect. He's an up-and-coming actor who is unknown to the big screen. He's doing a terrific job in Smallville. And WB could tie the show into the movie (or vice-versa). When the movie comes out in 2004 (if that's the plan), in the Smallville timeline, Clark Kent should be out of high school and ready to start his life in Metropolis. The movie could introduce this era of his life and get us ready for season 4 of Smallville. The TV show and the movie could feed off each other in both publicity and story line. But you must have the same cast to pull something like that off.
Could you imagine if somebody else played Scully and Mulder in the X-Files movie? :thumbsdown:
Please WB...get Tom Welling to sign on to a movie deal now!! :D

Barry Woodward

Second Unit
Here's who I would cast in the lead roles:

David Boreanaz as Batman
Nicholas Brendon as Superman
James Marsters as The Joker
Armin Shimerman as Lex Luthor
Charisma Carpenter as Lois Lane
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Harley Quinn
Anthony Stewart Head as Alfred
Danny Strong as Jimmy Olsen

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You could also cast:

Alyson Hannigan as Lana Lang (going back to the character being a redhead and all).

Eliza Dushku/Robia La Morte as Lois Lane.

Seth Green as Jimmy Olson.

Emma Caufield as Cat Grant.

Michelle Trachtenberg as Lucy Lane.

Kristine Sutherland as Ma Kent.

Harry Groener (The Mayor) as Perry White.

Amber Benson as Babs Gordon (Oracle)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Every time I read one of these threads I wonder how impossibly bad Batman and Robin is...because Batman Forever was so awful I never even went near it. WB gave up on Batman when they made 'Forever' in my book.

For that matter, Superman III is pretty much awful too.

However, Se7en says a lot about what a good scriptwriter Kevin Walker is. If he gets the support from Petersen that he got from Fincher it could be very good.

Of course, I don't really know about Petersen. Didn't he do The Perfect Storm? A truly dire movie in my opinion.

The strangeness of the concept actually makes me more interested in seeing what comes of it...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I never liked the casting of Welling.
As high school Clark sure, but he doesnt have the "presence" a older, more mature Superman deserves.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
okay here is the full article that Matt Damon will not be cast as Superman, thank god for that.
Go for Tom Welling instead
from http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/145...headlines=true
Though he mentioned Matt Damon in an interview with Variety, Petersen said he only cited the "Bourne Identity" star as an example of what he's talking about — "Someone where we so far did not really think of as a big action hero [who] turned out be a great actor who can also do great action. ... He's one of these kind of guys, but there's a lot of these guys out there."
there is ofcourse more, just follow the link
:emoji_thumbsup:

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that nobody has suggested the most obvious choice for playing Superman: Will Smith
(Believe me, some exec at WB is considering this right now...)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I just read over at Cinescape.com that Christian Bale is the front-runner for the Batman role. I like that choice.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I really hope they don't choose Will Smith for the Supers role. Some people are not meant for the part. And it is not just a racial thing. The original Supes remake was going to have Nicholas Cage. Another winning choice. I am tired of the suits at Warner making decisions about characters they have no idea about. And making them on who is hot actor of the minute.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
todd s,

that is exactly what I'm worried about. Movie execs, more often than not, have demonstrated total apathy regarding comic book characters. They seem to think, "Hey. Don't the kids all like comic books? Aren't the kids the ones who buy all the movie tickets? Why don't we make a superhero movie?! Muster the hacks! Get started on a script immediately! Get me an A-List star! Is Will Smith available?"

The possible casting of Christian Bale is encouraging. He could do the dark, vengeful thing. He's got a relatively good build, too.

The choosing of Petersen worries me a little though. Bryan Singer did XMen as a fan, and came up with a film that was faithful to the characters and the spirit of the comic, as did Sam Raimi. Is Petersen a fan of comics, though? I hope so. Or at least, I hope he's planning to do some serious research other than watching Tim Burton's Batman films.

Another thing that worries me, as I've already stated, is that this just sounds so gimmicky. Superman is so powerful in physical terms that this movie absolutely DEMANDS a gimmick to make Batman equal to Superman if there's actually going to be some kind of fight between them at some point. And just putting the two in a film in opposition against each other is a bit of a gimmick. It seems to me like Warner is putting the cart before the horse, throwing this project onto the fast track out of the blue. I just want to see them do it right, rather than resurrect the Superman and Batman franchises just to sink them all over again.

BradG

Stunt Coordinator
The real challenge will be to have both Superman and Batman in the same movie and not turn it in to a cheesey "Batman and Robin" or "Superman III" type movie.

While I have always been a huge fan of Batman, I too cannot see how Batman could possibly fight Superman - kryptonite obiously would have to come into play here.

It would be nice if the movie is just not a live-action cartoon, but rather a well thought out movie with a great plot.

I think both the Superman and Batman franchises would be better off not combining, but who knows, perhaps a killer script can be written.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Like I said earler. A Supes/Bats teamup movie was done. It was the animated Worlds Finest movie made a couple of years ago and available on dvd. It showed the different techniques & philosophies they use to fight crime. They even show how Bats used his intelligence & equipment to do back to Supes what Supes did to him(ie-finding out their true identities). The articles I have read said that Peterson has been reading the comics. So, it could go either way to his mindset.
Brad, From the new info coming out. They do not fight like you would think. They at first come to blows about their different crime fighting techniques. But, then team up to go after the main villian(s).

Our biggest hope against the Warner suits is money. They won't hear us. But, they will hear this....

-Batman & Robin(a movie done wrong) ($130million gross)
-Spider-Man(a movie done right) ($400million & growing gross)

Dennis

Second Unit
The whole idea of doing a "team up" movie, considering the state of WB's comic book franchises, seems to be overkill. I imagine that most everyone here agrees that this is a desperate attempt at capitalizing on Marvel's hot streak. It's as if they're not sure that just making a film on one character is enough to make up for Spider-Man's grosses. These people are sitting in boardrooms looking at $400,000,000.00 and thinking of that as a barometer, quite sad but something I have not gotten used to the last 10-20 years.
With all of the characters at their disposal, they put the two most popular ones in the same film! I know they also plan on doing McG's stand alone Superman and Arenofsky's Batman, not to mention Batman Beyond, but considering WB's taste in scripts, they should go for quality not quantity, but then again, I'm a dreamer.
Memo to WB:
Check out Superman (1978), it's the way comic films should be made, but no need to make the characters so family-friendly, especially the villians when they talk about annihilating millions of people.
Be sure to check out the CGI in it, oh yeah, there's not much in it. ;) :D
Also, please don't cast either Matt Damon or Ben Affleck in any of the roles. Unknowns or lesser knowns are the way to go.
Thanks.

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan Singer did XMen as a fan
Actually if you have read or seen any interviews with Singer, Singer did not grow up reading the comics. He started becoming a fan while working on Apt Pupil when he was approached for the job to helm X-Men. When he decided to helm the film that is when he started reading the comics. Also I read that he watched every single episode of the old X-Men cartoon. That's some fun research if you tell me. Hehe. But, my point is that he wasn't a fan till he was approached about the movie and he did a fantastic job. So if Peterson isn't to familiar with the comics, he could easily start researching now which would hopefully benefit him in making a great film that is close to the comics.
PS> Can't wait for X-Men 2...:D

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I read a quote from Petersen that he grew up reading American comics. So that's encouraging to me. Also, Walker -- who's writing the script -- also has a Silver Surfer project in development, so it seems likely that he, too, is probably at least a little saavy about comic book characters.

I'm feeling a little more hope for this project....

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This just in:
Colin Farrell As Bruce Wayne/Batman
Jude Law as Clark Kent/Superman
Well,I have to say,these are very interesting choices.
I'm a bit concerned about the English accent, but other than that......:emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I liked Bale as Batman. Jude is a bit too pretty for Superman...Colin might kill in that part. Not that Jude wouldn't work, but he doesn't seem right. Too slight of a build (for Superman).
As for the fight lasting two seconds...as a longtime geek and supporter of comic books, a good writer makes it work. Batman has too few smart writers, and Superman has had lazy writers. Check out some of Grant Morrison's JLAs from a few years back. He understood the character dynamics, and played with them. In a simple toe-to-toe, OF COURSE Superman would win. Why the heck does anyone think Batman would fight him that way? He's the smartest and most driven person in the world. He's not going to slug it out. A good writer could/should play that up and make it work. And no, they don't work in Hollywood, I know this. That's why I have such low hopes for what COULD BE a great story/film.
Take care,
Chuck
Like I said, if you think Batman wouldn't stand a chance, it's because he's perceived as all gadgets and kung fu. He's not. He's smarter than that. He's smarter than you. He's smarter than me. He's smarter than all of us.
P.S. Akiva G must die.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jude Law? Gah!

Colin's playing Bullseye in the upcoming Daredevil film. Not too crazy about him as Bats either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks