What's new

looks like I need contacts or glasses, advice? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would recommend disposable contacts. The 2 week ones last a lot longer than the 2 weeks although you never heard me say that.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
haha sorry to hear about the father that almost crashed, I've heard of that before, but my eyesight is god enough that I'd be OK without them (like I say, good enough for a third class medical, for a pirvate pilot, but not 20/20 which is needed for a first class for a commercial)
surprisingly almost all of my friends wear contacts, I guess it's something you don't see or ask about, but I was amazed how many of them do, none of them seem to have trouble flying (and ariplanes get really dry, why do you think they're so speedy with the drink cart?
wink.gif
)
thanks for all the advice!

Darren H

Second Unit
Funny that this should come up right now. I'm scheduled to pick up my first pair of glasses tomorrow night (I'm 29). Officially, they're "reading" glasses, necessary only because I spend at least eight hours a day staring at a f#*!ing computer monitor, then come home and read 1000+ pages/week.
I found some frames that I really like, and was willing to spend a bit more for them ($250) because I knew that I wouldn't wear them if they made me self-conscious. I just hope that they reduce the headaches I've been suffering lately.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I've been wearing contacts since 2nd grade (or like 14 years) and have gotten so completely comfortable with them that I'm not likely to give them up. I think they've become a standard part of my face, and have probably altered it in subtle ways (especially with the massive optics I used to carry around).
To anyone about to enter the enhanced vision realm, I would recommend contacts. They allow you to have a consistent outward presence that will remain if you should choose laser corrective surgery in the future. Just don't get frustrated with the installation process, it gets to be second nature after a short while.
I gave up on contacts after a six month stint because I tend to sleep watching TV and I kept finding them outside my eyes or in the bottom corner of my eye. I'm pretty well sold on my glasses now.
Of course, all you contact wearers have no way to hide your secret identities.
"Great Scott!"

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
hey andrew, I recently got the new thinner lenses in my regular pair of glasses and they are great... i went from about 1/2 inch thick glasses to 1/4 inch thick glasses... plus they are alot lighter... highly recommended if you have the cash... good if you have coke bottle glasses (like I used to have
cool.gif
)
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, I always advocate the thinnest lenses possible. You may also want to look at getting some smaller frame styles to help with the weight.

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I've been wearing disposable contacts for about 10 years after wearing glasses for about 7 years. At least for me, disposable contacts are much more convenient than glasses.
  • I can wear whatever sunglasses I like.
  • There's no fogging. Waiting for my glasses to defrost in winter was a huge annoyance.
  • I spent more time cleaning my glasses than I ever would with contacts. The dust and crud that accumulates on glasses can get pretty gross - especially if you wear them while engaged in a sweat-inducing activity. No cleaning required is a bonus with disposables.
  • My prescription changes pretty often - it's easier to implement the change with contacts.
I do still have a pair of glasses, but I only use them to see my way to bed at night and back to the bathroom in the morning.
Lary
------------------
Want to help the HTF find ET? Click here! Learn more here .

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
As a contacts wearer, I too basically use my old glasses (about 3 prescription changes ago!!) just to find my room at night, although I can still watch the TV if I sit close to the TV, I just didn't want to spend the cash to get something that I'll never wear. I would update my lenses in the beginning but I've kind of stopped since getting contacts.. Perhaps I'll try to wait for one of the years I don't buy contacts and use that insurance money (we get $ for either glasses or contacts but not both and we can only use it once per year) to pay for new glasses...
For me, contacts were alot cheaper than getting prescription wraparound sports sunglasses I need for biking.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking contacts are the way to go for me too.. since I'm a pilot sunglasses mean a LOT to me, and I just bought the nicest pair of raybans I've ever owned (LOVE these things, orbs titanium ovals, if you're in the market for some good glasses check them out, good deal for 150 bucks, can be found online for $115)

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
I have been wearing contacts for at least 20 years for the last 10 years disposable; you might want to look at the daily Disposables, as they sound just right for what you are looking for. One thing I have noticed is my eyes become very dry to the point that I wear glasses when I fly, so you might want to ask some of your co-workers if this is a problem. I think I read somewhere that airline crews get fresher air then the passengers so this might not be a problem.
kd

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
not really, it's all the same air. Up at altitude it's about -40 and the atmosphere will kill you in less than 5 minutes without pressurization :)
the dryness can be attributed to altitude

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks