Looks like DVD-A is dead

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael Osadciw, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    I was reading my recent edition of the Audio Perfectionist Journal and Richard Hardesty (formerly of WSR) made a comment that I wasn't surprised to hear - but he's totally right - DVD-Audio is a dead format.

Look what is happening - the dual disc (as many of you have reported) is being dropped by virtually all labels. Dual disc was supposed to give us DVD-A but instead just offered enhanced PCM on the DVD side (it sounds worse than the CD side in my opinion). We haven't seen any DVD-A of anything mainstream - the last DVD-A dualdisc I've seen from a mainstream band was "WITH TEETH" from Nine Inch Nails and that was released mid-last year.

I haven't seen anything else with high rez. nor does it look like anything else is being released with it. SACD still is releasing titles but that is a niche market only. So much for software on my Denon DVD-3910...(at least it's a good sounding CD player).

Do you think music studios are holding out for what they can do on BRD? Think of storage, think of secure copy protection - think of potential sound quality of uncompressed PCM up to 24/192?

Mike

2. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

The Doors albums are being reissued as 2 disc sets[cd/dvd-a]in october[that to me is a sign that dvd-a's not dead....yet].

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

test

4. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  5. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat is available as a DVD-A, and sounds very good. This CD was released in March 2006.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

if Dualdisc is dead... does this mean that "exclusively Dualdisc" titles will be reissued as standard CD's? I know the Rob Thomas cd for one was available as DualDisc only

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Tired of this argument/discussion. Bought 8 SACDs and 4 DVD-As in the past two weeks.

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Lance, I got an e-mail saying you posted yesterday yet I don't see it now that I can pull up HTF again. It must've gotten eaten during yesterday's site gremlins . . .

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thank goodness a dead format a dead format recently released the Talking Heads catalaog in Hires stereo and surround.

Releases have been trickling out for sure. At least we are getting some pop/rock titles on DVD-A. I am still waiting on Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, and Genesis on SA-CD for what has actually been pressing 3-4 years since these titles were initially announced.

I am disappointed that both SA-CD and DVD-A have all but dried up on Jazz releases. I can only take some many versions of the same classical recording.

J

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    I've said several times that 'if' one of the new Hi-Def video formats catches one, we might see multi-channel hi-rez PCM for the niche audiophile market. It is clear that for DVD-A and SACD that the masses care more about quantity and convenience (e.g. MP3s) vs. what they have to offer. SACD seems to have more of a niche market, particularly with jazz and classical releases. For that reason, I recently sold my Modwright XA-777ES and Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel pre-amp I used to switch between DVD-A and SACD and bought a Marantz DV9600 universal. I use an outboard DAC for CDs with the Marantz. That being said, I'll continue to buy both DVD-A and SACD as long as stuff I like comes out. I got 3 SACDs in the mail today and will likely order a couple of more and a DVD-A in the next few days. I'll buy the Doors set as long as it is a separate DVD-A and not DualDisc.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think of the two formats SACD does better since it caters mostly to a niche hardcore group of classical and jazz fans.

Our best hope for sonics is that the BluRay/HD-DVD war end quickly and offer 24/192 for audio. I think it would be hard to beat a "one disc for everything" marketing campaign. [​IMG]

12. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

No!. Our best hope for sonics is 7,1 Direct Steam Digital!

[​IMG]