What's new

Looks like DVD-A is dead (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I was reading my recent edition of the Audio Perfectionist Journal and Richard Hardesty (formerly of WSR) made a comment that I wasn't surprised to hear - but he's totally right - DVD-Audio is a dead format.

Look what is happening - the dual disc (as many of you have reported) is being dropped by virtually all labels. Dual disc was supposed to give us DVD-A but instead just offered enhanced PCM on the DVD side (it sounds worse than the CD side in my opinion). We haven't seen any DVD-A of anything mainstream - the last DVD-A dualdisc I've seen from a mainstream band was "WITH TEETH" from Nine Inch Nails and that was released mid-last year.

I haven't seen anything else with high rez. nor does it look like anything else is being released with it. SACD still is releasing titles but that is a niche market only. So much for software on my Denon DVD-3910...(at least it's a good sounding CD player).

Do you think music studios are holding out for what they can do on BRD? Think of storage, think of secure copy protection - think of potential sound quality of uncompressed PCM up to 24/192?

Mike

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
The Doors albums are being reissued as 2 disc sets[cd/dvd-a]in october[that to me is a sign that dvd-a's not dead....yet].

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat is available as a DVD-A, and sounds very good. This CD was released in March 2006.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
if Dualdisc is dead... does this mean that "exclusively Dualdisc" titles will be reissued as standard CD's? I know the Rob Thomas cd for one was available as DualDisc only

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Lance, I got an e-mail saying you posted yesterday yet I don't see it now that I can pull up HTF again. It must've gotten eaten during yesterday's site gremlins . . .

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness a dead format a dead format recently released the Talking Heads catalaog in Hires stereo and surround.

Releases have been trickling out for sure. At least we are getting some pop/rock titles on DVD-A. I am still waiting on Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, and Genesis on SA-CD for what has actually been pressing 3-4 years since these titles were initially announced.

I am disappointed that both SA-CD and DVD-A have all but dried up on Jazz releases. I can only take some many versions of the same classical recording.

J

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I've said several times that 'if' one of the new Hi-Def video formats catches one, we might see multi-channel hi-rez PCM for the niche audiophile market. It is clear that for DVD-A and SACD that the masses care more about quantity and convenience (e.g. MP3s) vs. what they have to offer. SACD seems to have more of a niche market, particularly with jazz and classical releases. For that reason, I recently sold my Modwright XA-777ES and Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel pre-amp I used to switch between DVD-A and SACD and bought a Marantz DV9600 universal. I use an outboard DAC for CDs with the Marantz. That being said, I'll continue to buy both DVD-A and SACD as long as stuff I like comes out. I got 3 SACDs in the mail today and will likely order a couple of more and a DVD-A in the next few days. I'll buy the Doors set as long as it is a separate DVD-A and not DualDisc.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think of the two formats SACD does better since it caters mostly to a niche hardcore group of classical and jazz fans.

Our best hope for sonics is that the BluRay/HD-DVD war end quickly and offer 24/192 for audio. I think it would be hard to beat a "one disc for everything" marketing campaign. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks