What's new

Looks as though DRAGONSLAYER is on its way for this year, if all goes well... (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
DUDE! Martin just now "inferred" that this was coming. It won't be announced for months. Specs aren't coming until much later.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
David Lambert wrote (post #21):

which tells us nothing about how "close" it is to release. (5 years? 10?)

The comments are, of course, welcome, but they are---let's face it---quite cagy. Some people seem to me to be too quick to jump for joy when it has only been implied that a movie is under consideration for release on DVD. More to set themselves up for disappointment when it fails to show up in "due time".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rex, I stand corrected on the proper use of implied/inferred. You're absolutely right. It was late, I was tired, and the request for specs _right now_ suprised me!

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
In reference to my desire for f/x to be cleaned up digitally, Greg D_R said:

I can see why you'd say this, but I strongly disagree....I would no more have them "fix" any special effects in this movie than I would for Clash of the Titans or Harryhausen's Sinbad movies.
I am not wanting to replace anything. I am thinking more along the lines of what Robert Wise did with Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Clash of the Titans had a much bigger budget than Dragonslayer. There's really nothing to fix. The f/x are obviously products of its time, and not as realistic or smooth as CGI creatures can be, but I don't want that fixed.

With Dragonslayer, however - at least with my VHS copy and TV versions I've seen - the color and contrast matching for blue screen work is not very good, and there are some rough edges around the dragon. I want those corrected, because they are significant enough to nearly take me out of the film.

I'm not at all a fan of revisionist filmmaking, but doing minor correction is a plus for me. I don't want anything that is going to scream CGI, just some subtle work to make the image better.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Clash of the Titans had a much bigger budget than Dragonslayer.
Not really, according to IMDB Clash of the Titans cost $15 Million while Dragonslayer cost $18 Million. Wow, both were pretty damn expensive for 1980/81.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Michael-

I, too, see where you are coming from, and while a part
of me would love it if some of the preceived flaws in
color balance and matte lines were removed, I have to say
I would much prefer to get the film as close as possible
to how it was released theatrically
fx weaknesses and all.

regards,

Mark

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If the director wished to clean up a few matte lines I wouldn't mind at all but if this was a change thought up & implemented by anyone but him I would not agree with it at all.

I understand what you mean though Mike, because if I could get George Romero's blessing on it I would personally alter the color of the blood in Dawn of the Dead from Strawberry Milkshake to a more realistic Deep Red...however Romero has stated on the DOTD LD box-set commentary that he prefers the less realistic color as it lessens the revulsion that some of the images in DOTD provoke and make it slightly cartoon like which he prefers because he thought that if you go too far with the gore you yank the audience right out of the story. If the director likes it the way it is then that is the way it should stay.

Plus with the improved black level that DVD offers many of the more obvious matte lines in older films are pretty much invisible when compared to previous LD & VHS transfers....though not always.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator

That implies directly that Dragonslayer and Pretty Baby are scheduled for later in the year of 2003. And if Black Sunday is to come before those two then that'll certainly be announced soon. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the Black Sunday thing was mentioned prior to the posting of the two lists with Dragonslayer and with Pretty Baby. So, of all the titles mentioned BEFORE those lists were published, BS was the one coming soonest.

That doesn't mean BS is coming before DS or PB, as those were mentioned later in the conversation and Martin never related those two films to the BS timeline.

So BS could still be a year away, even if - as Martin said - DS and PB are definately "this year".

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The Trial of Lee Harvey Oswald
Now this is an obscure title that I taped off-the-air years ago & never expected to see on DVD. Any specs on "Black Sunday"? I'd kill to have a commentary by the director on this disc. I wonder if one was recorded before he died?

Jerome

Second Unit
Dragonslayer (aka Le dragon du lac de feu) has just been officialy announced in France by Buena Vista for july, the 2nd.

No technical specs for the moment.

Jerome

Second Unit
The French DVD Cover has been posted

July the 2nd.

Cinemascope and Non Anamorphic Tranfer, Dolby digital 5.1 in French, English and German. Removable subtitles in French.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Jerome wrote:
...Cinemascope and Non Anamorphic Transfer...

I hope the region 1 release will be a 16x9 anamorphic transfer. When a 'scope title has been mastered previously in 4x3 letterbox for laserdisc or vhs, there is no guarantee what you're going to get on the dvd.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If it is Paramount then you can rest assured that it will be 16x9 enhanced OAR.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Kevin-

I have been whining about getting DragonSlayer on DVD in region 1 for a few years, and I will be buying 4 copies as my way of thanking Mr.Blythe for this (and then sending them out three of them to friends who like the film, but wouldn't necessarily buy it.

BUT....

I realise that Buena Vista is the distributor for the French version, but I do have a Paramount DVD, Get Real, which is 2.35:1 AR DVD and not anamorphic.

While I am hopeful of an anamorphic DVD, if it comes non-anamorphic, I'll only buy one copy.

(Oh, such threats! ;) )

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, but Get Real was released back in early 2000 and was a fairly obscure indie title, I seriously doubt that the Mount would release a major F/X cult favorite in non-enhanced widescreen.

I'm interested, when/what was the last non-enhanced widescreen title that Paramount released? Was it Get Real?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks