What's new

Looks as though DRAGONSLAYER is on its way for this year, if all goes well... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129908[/url]

The two titles in common in my list and Bob's are DRAGONSLAYER and PRETTY BABY. Well, I'm pretty hyped!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know, the hyperlink doesn't work, for whatever reason. Go to STUDIO FEEDBACK and look for PARAMOUNT DVD REQUESTS from a few days ago. Martin Blythe replied to this thread twice. In the second one, he dropped the somewhat cryptic but very welcome news that the titles in common between the wish lists Bob provided and I provided were on the schedule for late this year. The two titles are DRAGONSLAYER and PRETTY BABY. I'm pretty hyped!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Start at the 8th post in that thread (here) and continue through Martin's response on the 14th post! Go UP from the link above to see Martin's comments that Black Sunday is also in-the-works.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! (Dances around the room naked...at work! :eek: )

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm certainly glad to see that "Dragonslayer" is going to happen. I seem to remember reading here at some point in the last few months that "Dragonslayer" was not going to get a release. Well I'm very happy that situation turned around. I'm also glad that Paramount will be releasing "Black Sunday" despite the terrorism theme of the film & the atmosphere in this county concerning terrorism. It is a crying shame though that John Frankenheimer is no longer with us to supply one of his wonderful commentaries for "Black Sunday". Is there another person that might do a commentary on the film? I think this film needs one.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Now if only they would do a digital clean-up and smoothing of the effects for Dragonslayer. I don't want ANY of Vermithrax to be replaced with a CGI dragon, but would like very much to see the blue-screen and matting problems done away with.

I will be getting Dragonslayer, though. The only thing that would stop me is if it's not in OAR.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I will be getting Dragonslayer, though. The only thing that would stop me is if it's not in OAR
Heaven forbid that should happen, but as a precaution I recently won a WS Laserdisc of the film on eBay. So if it is not released in its OAR, I'll have the LD to fall back on.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I guess that Paramount and Disney are on good terms at the moment. DRAGONSLAYER (and POPEYE) for that matter came about through a deal between Disney and Paramount to co-produce films. It didn't last long and neither film has seen a decent home video release. POPEYE has only been available as an atrocious P&S videotape and (long OOP) LD with DRAGONSLAYER suffering the same fate. Neither film can comfortably be called a classic, but both have their charms and were favorites of mine as a child.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Rumor had it that Frankenheimer DID record a commentary for BLACK SUNDAY before his death.

What I hope to have, aside from TRAILERS on all these titles, would be:

isolated music score on POPEYE, maybe commentary from Shelley Duvall, Paul Dooley;

interviews with Keith Carradine, Brooke Shields, and Susan Sarandon on PRETTY BABY;

some quiet digital efx cleanup on DRAGONSLAYER

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well, a BIG THANK YOU!!! to Martin Blythe for
this DragonSlayer news.

Robert Harris once mentioned that Mr Blythe is a
"gentleman," which he also stated was a rare thing
in Hollywood.

With this news, I would like to concur!

:)

Mark,
the no longer whiner about a lack of a certain title
on DVD.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Now if only they would do a digital clean-up and smoothing of the effects for Dragonslayer. I don't want ANY of Vermithrax to be replaced with a CGI dragon, but would like very much to see the blue-screen and matting problems done away with.
I can see why you'd say this, but I strongly disagree. Whatever quirks or errors this film has are a product of that production and its times. I would no more have them "fix" any special effects in this movie than I would for Clash of the Titans or Harryhausen's Sinbad movies. Dragonslayer has been in the can for over 22 years. It's done.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

Agreed!

Digital clean-up of print damage is one thing. But effects artifacts that were part of the original negative/film source are part of the movie (like film grain)...love it or hate it it's part of the film.

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks