What's new

Looking for wide format inkjet in $400 range (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for a inkjet printer for my dad, that can print on paper 11" wide (He wants to be able to do some CAD stuff at home, and usually prints on 11x17 paper). Are there any good inkjets that can do this for $400? I think if it could double as a good photo printer too, that would be great.

Brian

AndrewDSmith

Auditioning
Brian,

The BEST solution, for CAD performance is the HP DeskJet 1220C. HP works directly with AutoDesk, the makers of AutoCAD to put together drivers that work seamlessly with AutoCAD's lineweight functions. There is also the CXi version, which is more popular, for a bit less, without the added Adobe PostScript 3 technology (not really important for CAD printing).

HP DeskJet 1220C wide format

MSRP: $399.99, Provantage has it for $366.57 shipped.
1220CXi @ Provantage

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Andrew: Thanks, I sent that page to him. I think that is exactly what he is looking for.

I looked at your website too, those are some nice looking HTPC cases :) Not looking at building a HTPC now, but maybe in a few years...

Brian

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The Epson 2200 has a 13" wide carriage, and can take roll paper. Under Windows XP, you can print 13"x129"(!) panoramas if you'd like.

I have this printer, and the output quality is astounding. Plus, it uses wide-gamut pigment inks, so your prints will likely last 50 years or more (provided you use Epson brand paper, or other paper designed for archival purposes ie. acid-free and formulated for pigmented inks). A common complaint is that the common dye-sublimated prints (like the HP) fade very quickly unless you mount them under glass. Sometimes they can fade in as little as 2 weeks, depending on the local environment (ozone? UV? paper-self-destructing? who knows?).

Go to the Printing and Printers Forum at www.dpreview.com for discussions on this printer and other printers. My observation is that HPs are easy to maintain, and the output quality is "good enough" for the uncritical user.

The printer is rather slow, compared to the new Canon i950 (only 8.5" wide though) and the older S900 and S9000 (wide-carriage version of the S900). People say that the Canon i950 has the best output quality of any inkjet out there (and last years inkjets beat the pants off of most photolabs in terms of color rendition and detail). Man, that Canon i950 is FAST. Spits out an 8x10 photo in under 2 minutes! Too bad no wide-carriage version has been announced yet.

That HP is a good all-around printer. However, ink cartridges are expensive, since the printhead is included in the cartridges! On the other hand, you won't experience bad printhead clogging that plague the Canon and Epson printers. The Canon printhead is replacable, but is very expensive, and the Epson needs to be taken in for service for a clogged printhead replacement. Typical suggestions for Canons and Epsons is to print a photo at least once a week to prevent the ink from drying up from disuse.

If quality is important to you, I'd suggest a Canon or Epson, but if you don't care or you do lots of text printing, the HP is a good bet.

If you're rich, get both. :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Whoops...the Epson 2200 retails for $800 US.

The Epson 1280 (or 1290 in Europe) is a 13" wide printer, and should be available on the street for under $400. It's a dye-sublimation inkjet printer, so it should have very good photo-quality output as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks