What's new

Looking for suggestions... (1 Viewer)

mackie

Supporting Actor

I recommend buying the best speakers you can afford and get a receiver that can comfortably power them. In this hobby, speakers are one of the pieces that won't be obsolete in 2 years as long as you chose your speakers wisely.

Flak

Grip
Forgive my newbness as I understand the volume "issue" I was having. "Reference" lvl is just at different points for both receivers, where the HK is 0 and the yamaha who knows.

I'm still trying, really trying to hear a difference between the receivers. I may go through the hassle of A/Bing them this weekend. Even if I don't hear a difference (maybe speaker limited?) is the DPR 2005 still worth keeping, or should I have listened to you guys more closely and send it back to either buy something cheaper or try to upgrade the speakers instead?

Thanks, and sorry for the rambling.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I agree with Gene.

First, what's the percentage of HT vs. Music? Music is where a better receiver would benefit you the most. But there's a point where your speakers aren't going to sound any better, no matter how much money you spend on the receiver. I believe this is the point that Gene is making.

Also, how loud are you expecting the speakers to play. Reference level (it doesn't matter which room you're in) is when movie passages max out at 105 dB (at your listening position) for your speakers and 115 dB for the subwoofer. Listening at that level can be VERY intense.

The chicken/egg question in some cases may be: 1. Can your speakers deliver 105 dB without a distortion, and 2. Can your receiver deliver the juice to drive your speakers at those levels.

The larger the room, the larger the speakers (or better/more efficient/etc.) and the more wattage/amperage from your receiver you'll need.

No point in getting a top of the line receiver or one that outdoes your speakers when (1) your speakers can benefit from the power, (2) when you have a small room, (3) you're not going to be listening anywhere close to reference, (4) you're only doing HT (this is subjective), (5) when you don't plan to upgrade your speakers for a long time or never.

For me, speakers matter more than a receiver.

Flak

Grip
I mentioned this in my original post butI would say that it's close to 60/40 or 50/50 HT (if you include tv in this)/Music. I haven't made it to radio shack to pick up a new SPL meter so not sure what DB either receivers are capable of, or the speakers for that matter before I notice distortion... So not sure what my "usual" listening level is either.

I can go measure my room, but off the top of my head it is like 15x15x8. My post about volume earlier and then my follow up was a misconception I had which I read about today and think I understood correctly.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Flak, the difference in sound quality between receivers in our price range is subtle at best. There are differences, but it can take quite awhile before you begin to appreciate what they are. Speakers on the other hand are more readily noticable. It sounds to me like you're not as thrilled with you're receiver/speaker combo as you had hoped. If you really want better sound then you're going to need better speakers. If you're happy with the speakers you have, and that's O.K., then I say return the H/K 2005 while you can and re-think you're options. I still think an Onkyo 503, comparable Yamaha or a refurb Denon or H/K would be more suitable. Or keep the 496 for now and take some time to learn more about this stuff. Maybe a new AVR isn't the best place for you to spend you're money. After all, the best receiver in the world won't make $300 worth of speakers sound much better than they're capable of. I only wish I had taken my own advice. I have two AVR's sitting on the floor next to my desk! There's an old saying. Learn from you're mistakes. I prefer a slightly modified version. Learn from other peoples mistakes. :)

Flak

Grip
Would these speakers Phase Technology Teatro 7.5VDT be an improvement over my Polk R30?

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have never heard Phase Technology but looked at them on Onecalls web site and they look real good. Excellent prices too. Except for the shipping cost. I would think they would be an improvement over the R30's but can't say without hearring them. Maybe someone else has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks