What's new

Looking for suggestions: Receiver with HDMI conversion (1 Viewer)

archaic0

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn Wilson
I've been searching both here and the internet in general and I'm having a hard time finding current information about receivers and their features. I was hoping some new suggestions could be found. Thank you in advance for any input!

What I'm looking to do is replace my receiver by the end of the year and I'm having a hard time with the retail sites/outlets because nobody seems to understand the one feature that I care most about. I want all video sources regardless of format or quality to come out of a single HDMI output. Is this standard now? Or is it special to have to look for? Do modern receivers still even have composite and s-vid inputs?

I'm not exactly looking for up-conversion from say an old DVD player at 480 to 1080, I just want to be able to plug in an s-vid source, or a composite source, or a component source, and have it come out an HDMI output when I chose that input on the receiver because I use it for my video switch as well as audio.

I should also say that I'm not a $2,000 receiver guy. I'm perfectly happy with a $300-$500 option. I think I found a good receiver that will do what I want for $600 and that's really more then I want to spend (Denon AVR-2807) plus I don't need 7.1 or satellite radio or ipod inputs. What I'm after is about 5 inputs (at least 2 optical audio inputs) 5.1 DTS and the Dolby family, about 100W per channel. Really the low end specs today, but I have a 20x20 living room and my current 100W 5.1 with my Polk speaker setup blows this room away at half volume so there's no need for anything more.

My setup is this: Currently I'm running a Sony STR-DE898 with 4 inputs (DirecTV HD DVR, DVD player, MediaCenter PC, and Laserdisc player). Right now, the DVR is running component, the DVD player is also component, the Laserdisc player is composite, and the PC only goes into the receiver for audio.

Right now I only have a projector as my daily TV and it's best input is component (and I've loved it for 4 years). That's what brought me to this setup. I run a single VGA cable to the projector that ends up at a VGA switch and then to a component breakout cable plugged into the receiver (the other side of the switch goes to the PC). For TV or DVD I simply choose a source on the receiver. For the PC however, I switch the VGA switch as well (remote controlled) and send raw VGA down the same cable to the projector.

What I will be doing soon is replacing the DVD player with a Blu-ray player so that will go HDMI, the DVR already has HDMI, the PC has HDMI, but the Laserdisc will still be composite (as well may be any random new source I might happen to bring in - old school SNES for fun?)

I will be upgrading the projector at that point to one with HDMI (I'm cutting off at 720 though because I'm perfectly happy with how 1080 looks downsampled to fit on my current 1024x768 DLP projector so I'm only upgrading that to get the HDMI input and full 720 res plus I'm ramping up to 3000 lumens for daytime/eco mode 2000 night time). At the same time I'll be adding a 1080 TV (probably 40-50" ) behind the projector screen for use in certain bright daylight situations when I have to have the curtains open. More than likely I'll still use the projector for daily TV 90% of the time. I just can't turn away from the 100" screen.

When I bought this current receiver, it was one of only a few that I found that would allow me to plug in a composite/s-vid source and send it out to the projector as component. Most of them at that time that I found would switch between the inputs, but they sent s-vid sources out the s-vid output. I'm needing to make sure a new HDMI receiver will act how I need it to.

So there you have a little input into where I stand. I wasn't going to do anything HD until I could do a full HD projector... until I tested it... and the step up to an HD source even without a 'full' HD projector still blew me away. Don't get me wrong, I'd get a 1080 projector if I had an extra 5 grand to blow, but to me, the 2 grand 720 is more than enough. Heck, I wouldn't upgrade the projector at all if it had HDMI or if Blu-ray players would send HD out with component (my bulbs are only $150 these days and last over a year, yay! ). I've been using my HD DVR to get HD movies for the time being and it's working quite well. Why do they have to be so picky with DRM tech to force HDMI only HD now? *sigh*

Anyway. What I will be spending on the projector is about 2 grand, the TV will be under a grand, the blu-ray player will be under $300. So... with all that in mind... is there a receiver that will do what I want out there for under a grand? Do they ALL do that these days? Will the cheapest $300 receiver take in an s-vid source and spit it out HDMI. Albeit probably without up-conversion, but that's not really a concern of mine. I just want to run a single cable out of the receiver is all. I'll only be left with the Laserdisc and possibly the old game consoles for kicks here and there that will be non HDMI inputs, but I want that option if at all possible.

Of course, once I add the TV to the mix, I'll have to switch the output between the projector and the TV, but I'm fine with an external HDMI switch if it'll cost me more than a grand to get a receiver with two outputs that can be switched between.

Thanks again!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Upconversion to HDMI is a common feature but not standard on the cheapest $300-400 models. You have to look in the $400-500 range or higher for that. Denon 790, Onkyo 607, Pioneer 919, Yamaha 565.

heat23

Auditioning
Real Name
Sood P
Onkyo's are great receivers.. I have been using them for years.
I just got the TX-SR507 which is awesome but it does not have HDMI Upconversion
If you want Upconversion, I highly recommend the TX-SR607 model which is for $450 here www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VEI2KO

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Shawn Wilson,

I want all video sources regardless of format or quality to come out of a single HDMI output. Is this standard now? Or is it special to have to look for? Do modern receivers still even have composite and s-vid inputs?
I think that there are a number of receivers that are not offering S-Video recently. How many sources do you have that have S-Video and do you actually use it? I think most company's are still offering composit video on there receivers.

Also there are a good number of models out there that offer video upsampling all the way up to 1080p from component video to HDMI and I am sure that you can get composit to HDMI as well, but can not say for sure how well the upconverting works with that.

I would honestly go for a more exspensive receiver than $300. At that price point you are not going to find much for starters, then you can exspect for the scaler to not be to good ether so IMHO you will not get good results taking sources from composit or s-video to HDMI. The amplifiers tend to be really cheap and also be rated at only 1Khz as well. Many companies at that price point will cap the component video off at 40Hz - 60Hz, use cheap DAC's and down graded room correction if it is offered at all.

Denon AVR-590: 5.1 CH A/V Home Theater Receiver MSRP $349
75 Watts X 5 channels
3 HDMI Inputs / HDMI Out
2 Component Video Input / 1 Componet Out
1 S- Video / 3 Composit Inputs
DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital Plus Decoding
No preouts & no analog inputs

Denon AVR-890: 7.1 CH A/V Home Theater Multi-Source/Multi-Zone Receiver MSRP $799
105 Watts X 7 Channel
5 HDMI Inputs / HDMI Out
2 Component Video Input / 1 Componet Out (2 - 60MHz Video)
3 S- Video / 3 Composit Inputs
7.1 Channel Analog Input
3 optical digital inputs / 2 coaxl digital inputs (assignable)
Audyssey MultEQ XT Room Correction (6 position set up)
iPod Dock Control Port (Using optional ASD-1R Denon iDock)

Denon AVR-3808CI: 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH A/V Home Theater/MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking MSRP $1,699
130 Watts X 7 Channel
4HDMI Inputs / HDMI Out - Assignable
3 Component Video Input / 1 Componet Out (100 MHz Video) Assignable
8 S- Video / 8 Composit Inputs
7.1 Channel Analog Input / 7.1 Channel Pre Outs
Assignable 12v triggers
3 optical digital inputs / 3 coaxl digital inputs (Assignable) 2 Optial Outs (Assignable)
Audyssey MultEQ XT Room Correction (8 position set up) upgradable to Audyssey Pro
USB, XM Radio and Ethernet
iPod Dock Control Port (Using optional ASD-1R Denon iDock)
24-bit/192kHz Burr-Brown PCM-1804
HDMI Deep Color Support-36Bit
Faroudja DCDi Video Processing and Scaling FLI2310
Internet Radio MP3 & WMA Compatible
3 Zone Receiver
DNLA Certified

Anyway this is the one I hope replaces my current Yamaha RX-V995

Onkyo TX-SR307 5.1 CH A/V Home Theater Receiver MSRP $249
65 Watts X 5 channels
3 HDMI Inputs / HDMI Out
3 Composit Inputs / 1 Componet Out
DTS & Dolby Digital
No preouts & no analog inputs
No preouts / no analog inputs

Onkyo TX-SR607 7.1 CH A/V Home Theater Receiver MSRP $599
90 Watts X 7 Channels
Six 1080p capable HDMI inputs (5 rear/1 front)
PLIIz new surround format for higher dimension
2 Component Video Input / 1 Componet Out (50 MHz)
4 Composit Inputs / 1 Componet Out
2 Channel Preout & no analog inputs
No preouts / no analog inputs

Onkyo TX-SR807 7.1 CH A/V Home Theater Receiver MSRP $1,099
135 Watts X 7 Channels
Six 1080p capable HDMI inputs
PLIIz new surround format for higher dimension
2 Component Video Input / 1 Componet Out (100 MHz)
4 Composit Inputs / 1 Componet Out / 4 S-Video inputs
2 Channel Preout & no analog inputs
Faroudja DCDi Video Processing and Scaling
Audyssey DSX Room Correction
7.2 preouts / no analog inputs
12v triggers
DLNA Certified
Rhapsody Internet Radio
Ethernet

Pioneer VSX-919AH-K Works with iPhone® Certified 7-Channel A/V Receiver Featuring New Color On-screen Display MSRP $399
100 Watts x 7 channels (Direct Energy)
3 HDMI Inputs / HDMI Out
DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby True HD
No S-Video / 4 Composit Video
Digital Coaxial Input 1, Digital Optical Input 2
Analog Multi-ch input 5.1
HDMI Precision Quartz Lock System (PQLS) for Jitterless Transmission from Music CDs

Pioneer Elite SC-25 Works with iPhone™ Certified 7-Channel Elite A/V Receiver Featuring ICEpower® Class-D Amplification and AIR Studios Monitor Sound Tuning Certification MSRP $?
140 Watts x 7 Direct Energy ICEpower Amplification
Analog to Digital Conversion Burr Brown 192 kHz / 24-bit
Digital Analog Conversion (DAC) Wolfson WM8740 192 kHz / 24-bit DAC
5 HDMI Inputs / 2 HDMI Out
3 Component Video Input / 1 Componet Out
5 S-Video input/ 5 Composit Video
Digital Coaxial Input ?, Digital Optical Input ?
Analog Multi-ch input 7.1 / 7.1 Pre outs
12 Volt Triggers
Ethernet Input

Marantz SR5003 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Receiver MSRP $799.99
90 Watts x 7 Channels
3 HDMI Inputs / 1 HDMI Out
7.1 Preout / 7.1 Analog Input
3 Component Video Inputs / 2 Component Video Out
4 Composit Video & 4 S-Video Inputs / 1 Composit & S output
Audyssey MultEQ
3 Optical, 2 Coaxial Digital Inputs / 1 out optical & coaxial
No Ethernet
192kHz/24-Bit: Unkown Maker

I hope this gives you a better idea of cost vs flexability and I hope you find this usefull in some way.

Good Hunting

I am currently still trying to save up for a Denon AVR-3808ci to replace my old Yamaha RX-V995

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
there are some big sales on the Onkyo TX-SR876 for under $1lk, you might want to grab one of these if you have not purchased anything yet? I could have sworn that Fry's has the 876 for $899 after a $100 rebate!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks