What's new

looking for speakers (1 Viewer)

BenLev

Agent
I have a SI mag 12 hooked up to an amp right now.

It is all hooked up to my computer. What I want to do is add speakers to it so I can actually hear some music. For those of you who don't know the sub is running at about 1400rms. I am looking for small speakers since space is limited. Also, i don't want to spend more than $500 total for the rest of my project. I will need a reciever and very nice speakers in the 500 price range. I am hoping the reciever will power the speakers and hopefully i will also be able to hook my sub up to the reciever. Then it would be perfect. Thanks for the help, I am new to this.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The speakers I own were created by Danny Ritchie, one of the co-designers of those X-LS speakers. The midbass used is the same as the one used in his GR Research A/V speakers. The design and performance looks almost identical to the A/V-1. WOW! I'd jump all over those...

Interesting that you have that particular sub...are you somehow related to PaulCA?

BenLev

Agent
//speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects/D3/dayton3.htm

That is what I am thinking of doing for speakers. Let me know what you think. I will power it using a yamaha reciever. So I will have the Yamaha reciever, an amp to power the mag 12 sub, and i will build 2 of those speakers that i showed. Will 1 yamaha reciever be able to power 2 of those speaker towers? I am looking at the Yamaha rx-v series.

And i have no idea who paulca is sorry.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, just curious how you found out about the SI Mag. It's not a very common sub.

Those speakers you listed are 4 Ohm, so as long as the Yammie (which model?) can handle a 4 Ohm load you should be OK. If it is only those two speakers most receivers can handle that. Just be careful when cranking it up because the lower impedance load will draw a lot of current during dynamic peaks, which can result in clipping and may damage the speakers.

BenLev

Agent
Yamaha RX-V457 6.1 Channels Receiver
Yamaha RX-V557 6.1 Channels Receiver
Yamaha RX-V550 6.1 Channels Receiver

Those are the 3 ones I have looked at so far. Let me know which one you think would be best for 2 of those speakers I showed you. It should be a fun first project for me.

As for the mag. I am an SI dealer so that is how I know.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you planning on doing stereo only or eventually expanding to 5/6/7.1? If stereo only, I'd say look at a stereo receiver or an integrated amp. I'll have to take a look at those guys and get back to you. Maybe someone who owns one of those guys can chime in about them.

BenLev

Agent
That is good question. Right now all i want is stereo. Someday I will want to have surround sound. But I was thinking if i wanted to do surround sound someday, would the yamaha recievers i listed be high enough quality to have a good surround sound system? They are the cheapest ones they make pretty much and I just wanted them for stereo for now. So right now all i want is 2 speakers and a sub. Someday i will probaby get surround sound, but I will want to get a really nice reciever for that.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, you'll get more bang for your money with a stereo receiver or integrated and you can use it in another room or sell it off later. What's the budget?

I've used the 5840 and it was satisfactory for the lowest model, but to drive some half decent speakers or 4 Ohm ones like the ones you listed, you'll probably need to step up a couple of notches.

For stereo receivers, I'd look at the H/Ks because they have a preamp sub out. The 3380 MSRPs for $349 with 80 realistic watts of power and the 3480 is $449 with 120w. Either should do well with those speakers. If that is too much, you can check www.harmanaudio.com for factory refurbs with warranties for less.

BenLev

Agent
I would like to go as cheap as possible on the reciever. I will checkout the website that you listed. Let me know if there are any other cheap places I can look.

As for budget. I am going to need to spend 300 total atleast to build both those speakers and would like to keep the total money spend around $500. That only leaves 200 left for the reciever. So let me know if that is at all possible. Right now I just have the sub and the amp. Hopefully i can do the rest for 500 total.

Thanks.

BenLev

Agent
.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK%203480-Z&status=

How about that one. I would deff. like something like that. Just let me know if it would be perfect for my speakers.

Once again you need to type in http and the www thing before it since I am still not allowed to post links until my 15th post haha.

Nhan_H

Second Unit

Hey, Chris. I'm hoping to get them within 2 weeks. I'll spend a couple of weeks listening to them, and off they go to Houston, if you're still interested :)

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Cool. I'd be interested in your thoughts. Do you still have the Ascend classics, or the new Sigs?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BenLev, I don't know if you deal with ebay at all, but Harman Kardon also has an ebay store and they have both 3380s and 3480s on there for under $200. I think either would do the trick with those speakers. There are also a few Onkyo TX-8511s for around $200 and under.

BenLev

Agent
I use ebay all the time. I will check out their store and see if I can get that same reciever that I showed you guys on there for maybe a little cheaper. Thanks for the help and before purchasing anything I will run it by you to tell you what I decided to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks