What's new

Looking for music with great Saxophone (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Those John Coltrane and Charlie Parker guys weren't too bad. ;)

As for rock, "Touch Me" by The Doors (on The Soft Parade and The Best of The Doors) has a very good sax solo at the end. I will also put in a vote for Aja. What a classic.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, David Bowie plays sax now and then, doesn't he? I'd recommend Pin-ups, Black Tie White Noise and "Heroes" for good examples of his sax. Rumor has it he does the sax solo on Lou Reed's Walk on the wild side as well...
In a totally different genre, I'd recommend Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble, unlike anything else...
Actually, they' ve made two albums

I saw them live in a Stockholm church, unforgettable expecrience!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Is there a sax in any Beatles tunes? I was just wondering about the Beatles and can't think of an example. Lots of orchestral accompaniments, though. I'd be surprised if there aren't any.

Doug

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Well this certainly isn't classic rock, but for some great up and coming bands that feature sax prominently check out The Gabe Dixon Band and Pseudopod. Again, they might not float your boat but they are a couple of my faves. Pseudopod's studio stuff rocks but pales in comparison to their live shows; you can grab a couple off of www.archive.org for free (they both allow taping at shows).

Gabe Dixon is an AMAZING piano player and the band have a really unique sound. Check out On A Rolling Ball which was released last fall.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im too lazy to look through all the replies but if it hasnt been mentioned yet - check out Blue Oyster Cults "Shooting Shark". Great great song.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I can't believe no one has suggested Morphine. Very good rock band.

If you have ever seen the movie "Wild Things" and were able to divert your attention away from the great visuals to hear the music, it was Morphine.

DarylA

Agent
Check out "Running Out of Time" by the Climax Blues Band. Anything by David Sanborn. His CD "Pearls" contains classic covers. The Rippington's/Russ Freeman expose the sax also.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mike Broadman

But if you mean sax used in rock music, Springsteen often featured some very energetic sax players.

Springsteen's sax player, Clarence Clemons, also had a solo career (the 80's hit, "You're a Friend of Mine") and has been featured on some other artists' work, such as Aretha Franklin's "Freeway of Love".

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
You should check out Michael Brecker. He did the sax on James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight". One of my all-time fave sax solos is on Todd Rundgren's rendition of "Ooh Baby Baby", part of the Motown Medley from Todd's A Wizard/A True Star.
Richard Elliott does a killer version of "When A Man Loves A Woman"

Ditto for the choice "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty.

Dave, I believe the name of the track by Quarterflash was "Harden My Heart".

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've always found it a bit interesting that the saxophone was such a staple of 80s-era sitcoms. Basically it was used as a replacement for the lead vocal in end credit arrangements of sitcom theme songs. Of course 80s drama L.A. Law was a great theme for saxophone as well, being all instrumental.

The only instances of it I have are in a few of my soundtrack albums, such as "Sneakers" (mentioned before in this thread I believe), "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids", "Ransom", "The Grinch" and "Casper". All of which are James Horner scores. "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" in particular has such crystal-clear recordings/performances of it, you get such a strong impression that the sax performer is sitting in front of you live. "Sneakers" features Branford Marsalis and his face is actually on the soundtrack album cover, though in some cues there are actually two players playing in harmony.

bugeyes

Agent
Real Name
simon
Definitely check out the jazz albums people have been suggesting. John Coltrane is a legend. If you want some wild Free Jazz check out Albert Ayler and Archie Shepp. Both of whom have worked with Coltrane as well.

And for a little bit of rock n roll mixed with sax I'd suggest James Chance & The Contortions (late 70's band).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks