What's new

Looking for ideas and/or input (1 Viewer)

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
First off, while I have been a member for some time I don’t post a lot, but do read a lot. Also to provide a background and changes this might be a long read. So sorry in advance. Late last year I purchased a 47” Vizio Model # E470VL for a bedroom that we turned into a small home theater / TV room. The other components used were a Sony Blue Ray DVD player Model # BDP-S270, HT Receiver was a Sony Model # STR-DH800, Sony VHS Model # SLV-N71 and Motorola Cable Box Model # DCX3400 from Time Warner. While probably not the best setup I did enjoy the picture and enjoyed it. Well just prior to Christmas I decided to go to 3D so I replace the Vizio Model # E470VL with a 47” Vizio Model # XVT3D474SV 3D TV and Sony Blue Ray DVD player Model # BDP-S270 with a Vizio Model # VBR133 3D Blue Ray DVD Player. Picture is even better. I also purchase 2 2-pack 3D glasses to use when viewing 3D. Well the problem is I talked to someone that wasn’t as knowledgeable as I thought they were. As of now haven’t been able to watch 3D. The reason is pretty simple and I think I can resolve it relatively easy. But, and I am not looking for any sympathy or anything, but I am a terminal cancer patient going through maintenance treatment and after Christmas I start back with my treatment and that has kept me from contacting tech support and working through my problems. So yesterday I called Vizio tech support and have to tell you they were the best tech support I have ever dealt with. The lady I ended up talking with went through my setup identified that I had been told the wrong glasses for my TV. Seems I need active glasses instead of inactive ones. Hopefully that will allow me to view 3D in the future. The other problem I have I really didn’t go into with her, but when trying to just setup 3D to watch the TV didn’t detect that I was running a 3D DVD player. At that point I had every going into the HT receiver and then out to the TV. Well it seems like since my receiver isn’t capable pushing through the 3D signal is the problem. So my plan (cheap one) is to replace the Sony HT receiver is to replace it with Sony - 700W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver that will provide me with the pass-through capability I need. I am also planning to get 2 sets of Full HD 3D Rechargeable Glasses – 2 Pack Model # VSG102 for watching the 3D DVDs and available on On Demand. The receiver I am replacing will be installed in the Living Room where I put the first 47” Vizio Model # E470VL and Sony Blue Ray DVD player Model # BDP-S270 then purchase a set of 5 in expensive speakers to hookup a surround system. Again sorry for this being so long, but would appreciate any and all input about any of this. Thanks Chuck

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since you didn't list the model number of the new Sony, I have nothing to compare it too. However, unless you are getting the top end Sony, I suggest looking at another brand like Onkyo or Denon. While Sony makes many great products, their receivers are generally not thought of as one of them. BTW - I agree. Vizio support is great. They came on-sight to fix a warranty issue with my father-in-laws TV and the phone call to get it started was unexpectedly pleasant. :D

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
David, sorry about not posting the model for the replacement Sony HT Receiver, it is a low end Model # STRDH520. Because of my condition I am hesitant to spend very much on the system. Mainly just want to get the 3D up and running. Basically I haven't spent much on the system at any point. Because I built an entertainment cabinet to fit in the closet I was limited by the size of the opening for what TV I can put in it. I had thought about mounting a bracket to be able mount the 55” 3D Vizio, but came to my senses . :)) Once I get everything working and we can watch 3D, then get a receiver put in place that allows me to run everything through the receiver to get the surround system back in play and then if the Wife wants upgrade for better sound then I would consider upgrading the receiver in the theater and move the cheaper receiver into the master bedroom and add surround sound in there with the Samsung 37" Class LCD 550 Series TV Model # LN37D550K1F.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
After reading David's post and talking to the Wife I think I might go with a better receiver instead of going with a cheaper one just to get things working with the surround sound. So any suggestions on equipment would be appreciated. I doubt that I will replace the TV or DVD player, but would appreciate comments on them if you have any. Also comment on the entire setup is also welcome in hopes that I understand more about my setup. As I am sure most of you has figured out I am not a knowledgeable HT person. I have basically put some pieces together to view and hear movies in an HT environment, but not maybe in the best setup. So fire away and let me hear your thought. At some point I will try to get information for all of the stuff that I have in all of the rooms. I haven’t setup any of the 5 computers to the HT stuff. I have read some of the post about doing that, but not sure what I would gain from that. I do have a long HDMI cable that I do run to the big TV from time to time to play a game using the big screen to view it on. Nice but not something I would do permenately. Thanks in advance for you input.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
Based on David’s suggestions I was doing some research this morning for 3D HT receivers and found the following. I can get a Onkyo TX-NR509 from Amazon.com for $219.99 or I can get a Denon AVR-1312 from Denon it sells for $249.99. Online options are the same price except for one that is one dollar cheaper. Thoughts on these two options instead of the Sony STRDH520 for $204.99 I was planning to get. The prices are pretty close to the same, but would really like to hear from those that are knowledge about what would work best and give me the best picture and sound. Thanks in advance!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Based on my quick research I would go with the Onkyo based on the fact it has Audyssey MultEQ (I'm a HUGE fan of Audyssey). Could you swing the Denon AVR-1612 for $350?

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
I can afford it, but what will it do for me for the additional bucks? Also, can you explain what Audyssey MultEQ is and what it will do for me when you have the time.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Also, can you explain what Audyssey MultEQ is and what it will do for me when you have the time.
All current receivers have a way to automatically calibrate the sounds levels from each speaker. You place their microphone in your main listening location, and a few other places for additional data points, and the receiver samples each speaker and sets it's distance and loudness level. Having one of those is nice; although it can be done manuallly, as was up until just a few years ago. Audyssey is a particular version of a calibration system that is used by a few manufacturors, and many people think it's the best. Within the Audyssey "line" there are different release levels, and MultEQ is an even better version that regular Audyssey. Personally, while I have no reason to think it's not the best, I wouldn't base a purchase on that unless every single other need was exactly identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks