Looking for good hardware to support 5.1 audio through headphones

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gregory Pauswinski, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Recently my girlfriend changed jobs and goes to bed pretty early. I now find myself watching movies at an extremely low volume so as not to wake her up. I like watching movies in my Home Theater at a loud volume, so it's killing me. I want a good headphone setup.

I remember some years back, Dolby Headphone was supposed to emulate 5.1 sound in headphones. Whatever happened to that?

What are my options for good surround-sound in a headphone setup? I'm kind of in the market for a new Receiver anyway.

2. walls

walls Auditioning

I have the Senn 555's and 595's and for movies or TV I prefer the cheaper 555's. They have a nice open soundstage and they actually place the action on screen fairly well.
    Unfortunately I dont have any real experience with true 5.1 headphone rigs but if you go to headfi.com and do a search you will get all the info you need.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I wonder what the difference between Dolby Headphone and just the 5.1 soundtrack downmised to 2 channels would be? It's not like you have a lot of flexibility with the original 5.1 channels going into the 2 speakers in the headphones. Delay and phase I would think are the other 2 things you can mess with.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

5. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I appreciate everyone's help.

Those demos sound pretty amazing!

Thanks for the links to headfi.com!

It looks like I either need to find a receiver with Dolby Headphone or buy a seperate adaptor like the JVC SU-DH1. Time to start researching receivers.

Those Sennheiser HD-555 headphones look pretty good!