What's new

Looking for extremely small speakers <$1500 (1 Viewer)

Phil Keep

Stunt Coordinator
I have listened to the KEF and Bose systems. I hated the Bose, the KEF's weren't bad...was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I will probably be hooking up a Yamaha Rcvr (RX-V1300?). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip

Joey_V

Second Unit
I second the energy. Bose is nice for those who want something small, it's probably smaller than the energy.... just not so impressed by the sound.

Phil Keep

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot find out how much the Energy and Gallo Speakers are. I am not a huge fan of the round Gallo's, but what are the prices?

Thanks,
Philip

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Don't know the prices on those, but another small speaker system to consider is the Omnisat from Mirage. They have an unusual design that casts a far wider soundstage than almost all speakers of their size. Imaging, however, is less precise than traditional designs. If you'll be mainly using them for movies, they might be a good solution, as they are supposed to generate a far more immersive soundfield. If the Omnisats are too big, they have a set called Omnisat Micro and an even smaller set called Nanosat (same design principle, smaller speakers). If you're planning on a lot of music playback, these might not fit the bill, but for movies, the design is promising.

Mirage Omnisats

From there you can find the Nanosats and Omnisat Micros as well.

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
You might take a look at M&K's K series speakers; either the K-7's or the K-5's. I've never heard them, but the company has a good rep and Home Theater Mag gave them a good review in 2001.

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
I think I might be in the same situation as Phil (on an ever tighter budget!). However, I typically listen at -15 ~ -10 db ref when watching movies, and the couch is about 14~15 feet away from the front speakers. Is it too far for the speakers suggested (they're going to be driven by a 70w/ch receiver)?

I'm interested with the Omnisats and the Anthony Gallos. I think they have high WAF.

All of the bookshelves of my choice have very low WAF (axiom, paradigm, rockets, etc).

Note: I started a thread which asks a slightly different question but I think my question above is relevant so just in case, I hope i'm not hijacking Phil's thread.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Monitor Audio Radius 90 looks small enough. I've read somewhere they were described as the smallest audiophile-grade speakers available.

I'm using a pair of Paradigm Cinema 70s which are great sounding and not much bigger than the stacked Bose cube configuration

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
Those Radius 90s looks really nice. I've heard them though from about the same distance as where my current speakers are and somewhat felt that they're weak.

If I have my way I'd probably go for the Silver or Bronze series bookshelves. I liked their sound when I auditioned them at GoodGuys (but they were being compared against the Bose 301s and I don't like how those sound [tinny])

Might also check out the Paradigms.

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
Energy Encores typically go for $1000 for the whole set. I've heard of them going on sale for as little as $600.

Great speakers, one of the best small satellites for their size.

Rod_Gwinn

Auditioning
Take a look at the Infinity tss-750. I am just finishing up my HT setup and I picked up 4 of these for the rear surounds.

They are sold in a set, or by piece. I paid $69 each at Video Only (Oregon).

I am very impressed. good sound quality, and they look sharp on the wall, here is a review

rg
You can find a review at hometheatermag

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks