What's new

Looking for decent line conditioner (1 Viewer)

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

I'm intrigued by your comment about a dual shielded Belden power cable from mcmelectronics. Do you have a part number I can use (or a link) to study this cord?

Thanks

MT

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
The electro motive force of the dc current is not "stored" as it is transferred to the magnetic field of the inductor. Its a dynamic conversion process directly proportional to the applied voltage but limited by the steady state of the magnetic field. Its similar to you sliding a heavy box up a steep hill. As you work moving the box up the hill your kinetic energy is continually being converted (not stored) to the potential energy of the box wanting to slide back down the hill. There is no storage mechanism per say. That’s why inductors are said to regulate. And hopefully you can see that’s why transformers have no effect on transient voltage dips.
Thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You can simply go to newark.com Mike and do a search. Newark's got a fair amount of local distribution centers and FWIW if you do buy one of their PC's (and they've got a ton), it comes with a rather not insignificant benefit. UL Listing. Something you won't see as far as I know from the people selling the audiophile versions of cables.

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Chu:

I got a ten foot shielded cord made out of good Belden cable from Volex. Looks like Newark sells several of the Volex power cords too. Mine cost ten bucks (that's about all I want to spend on a power cord) and gets me from my DLP projector to the wall outlet.

MT

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you can always send away for their free catalog. some of the stuff isn't priced very good but it's one hell of a collection of items. Mouser is also very good.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Here's the mcm part no: 23-535. I got a mailer and they are actually on sale this month. Normal price is $14.30, now is $12.95.

"Only" 1250 W/10A capable (I earlier got the single shielded 1875W/15A capable stuff), but after I thoguht about it for a while, no component in my system can draw anywhere near 1250W by itself anyway.

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

Thanks for the information. I bought the longer brother of the cord you recommended.

MT

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mike- Funny one: I looked at them 6' 7" ones maybe 10 days ago, and they had like 54 of them. I went back and ordered what I needed over the weekend, and they only had 1 left!

Matt- Took me a while to think about this, but here's my take on it: energy is "held" or "maintained" within that magnetic field. Let's say you draw more current than is available from the transformer. For transients, you *can* get more power than is available, just that it will "pull" it from that magnetic field, and the mag field will collapse slightly. When the transient goes away, the power going into the transformer will re-stabilize the equilibrium mag field again. Obviously, the capacitors in the amps are what you're relying on, but transformers can also provide power if it's needed. In general for any component, that's why larger transformers are preferred (assuming they are of equally good build quality).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
hell Kevin just replace the caps in your amp then! ever see those monster 1 Farad ones they use for automobile stereo applications? we're talking lethal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks