What's new

Looking for comments on NAD DVD players (1 Viewer)

Eric T

Second Unit
I'm thinking of upgrading my DVD-player. My system is currently made up of consumer-grade equipment, with a JVC D723 prog-scan DVD player, and a Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver. About 5 years ago, I had the opportunity to audition a NAD CD player at home, and I was stunned by how much better it sounded than my old JVC CD player. This experience has got me thinking about NAD DVD players as an upgrade.

Does anyone use a NAD prog-scan player? How is it? And, is there something comparable in price/quality that also has DVD-Audio capability?

One more question: would my DVD player be the best place to start my upgrade? Or should I start with the amp instead? I watch my DVDs on a Mits WS-55807 HD RPTV, and I have Polk RT-series speakers and a Velodyne CT-120 sub.

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
That's funny, I upgraded from a NAD T-531 to the JVC 723!!
The NAD players have the Chroma bug in a bad way. The JVC's don't, that's why I made the switch.
Your TV is a Mitsu, which is suppose to show the Chroma bug fairly well, as does my Panny.
Other than the Chroma bug I had no problems with the NAD and would have loved to keep it.
If you get one make sure you can get your money back if you don't like it after a few days.

L8R

Eric T

Second Unit
After further thought...

I'm happy with the video of the JVC D723 that I have.

What I want to upgrade is the sound. Since I am using a digital connection to the receiver, that means that the DVD player's D/A converters are not used, the ones in the receiver are.

Therefore, I guess what I really need is a new RECEIVER, not a new DVD player.

I did a search and found a comparison review of some mid-level receivers. The NAD receiver didn't get such good marks, but another one caught my eye, a Rotel.

Anyone have a Rotel receiver? This one was the RSX-972, can anyone comment on the audio quality of this unit?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I was not aware of the Chroma bug with the NAD DVD players or the Marantz DVd players, some of which share internals between manufactures (NAD & Marantz).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks