What's new

Looking for Advice from Ti Powerbook Users (1 Viewer)

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,
I'm currently looking into purchasing a TiBook when Apple revises the currently shipping models, but before I do, I would like to ask if any of you have had any issues and/or disappointments with it, please post it in some detail. I really want one, but the fragility of the case concerns me. I was also wondering about heat. How hot does it get? My Powerbook G3 gets so warm I can't type with it after an hour or so.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Jason, the Ti PowerBook rocks! I use one and we have two dozen of them in use at the office. There were a few issues with the first models out. Because of the width of the machine and it's thin size, it did have a tendency to flex or torse a bit. Normally this wasn't a problem. However, I know of one person I work with, as well as a few other reports of the battery popping out of the bottom of the machine when the machine was shifted in just the right direction. It just pops back in, but anything you didn't save would have been lost. Thankfully Apple rectified this by strengthening the enclosure. I have yet to hear of a "battery drop" on the new ones.
There were also some reports of the AC adapters "sparking" when plugged into the machine. Apple released an updated adapter to solve the problem. The only other issue I'm aware of is that some people have complained that the DVD drive is noisy...buzzing sometimes. The only time I've seen this is when a person's wrist is actually resting on the keyboard, just above the DVD drive. When they moved their hand, the noise went away.
The heat output isn't as bad as with the G3 'Books, due to new insulation. But I've never been put off by the heat in the G3's either. Certainly the ones I've used never got so hot that I couldn't type.
All in all, I think you'll be very satisfied with the design and performance on the new machines. Good luck in getting one.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Apple will purportedly announce new models of the TiBooki on Tuesday the 16th. Faster processors, better graphics card and bigger hard drive at current prices. As stated all the early problems have been corrected.
------------------

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
Well I finally did it. I ordered the Ti 667 with a 48 gig hard drive and 1gb of memory. Unfortunately, because we don't have an Apple Store nearby (5.5 hrs away is the closest), I will need to wait for it to come into my reseller locally. Thanks for the input. Here's hoping this is the last post I type on my PB G3 Wallstreet!
Jason

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Cool! Hope you don't have to wait too long for it.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks