What's new

Looking for a "warm" sounding receiver (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
The reason I threw Caps in the thread is people that think amps dont have a sound of their own think passive components dont add their own sound which is far from true. Caps, inductors, resistors all play a vital role in the final sound. Even for the same design if you change one component with the same specs you can change the final sound. I have tried Auricaps in my ASL tube preamp and they sound remarkably different from Jensen PIO caps, and even my audio novice wife can tell them apart. When I changed the stock PS caps with Blackgate caps my preamp became considerably quieter and I could tell the difference even without the music playing :laugh:. So what I am saying is that for the same design having better quality components will make the sound different. If you change the design it will only make things even more different.

So even though I am not denying that room treatments, speakers etc have way more profound effect on sound, amps and preamps do add their own color to the sound.

Coming back to the real question, I think German microbrews served by french women in bikinis, taste the best.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
you tell me then, how is it that a capacitor with the same rating (thus the same reactance) affects the overall frequency response? noise isn't part of the frequency response.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Well guys, all Patrick wanted to know was to have a recommendation about a "warm" sounding receiver. He's gotten all kinds of disparate answers from "all amps sound the same" to beer, capacitors, pizza, to great looking oriental "artwork"! Well, I couldn't find a picture of our local brew (my favorite), but here's a photo of fine Caribbean "artwork"! As for the warm sounding receiver, try Marantz or Rotel, to begin with.

jackeline_alicea1-lg.jpg

JaimeB

Yogi

Screenwriter
you tell me then, how is it that a capacitor with the same rating (thus the same reactance) affects the overall frequency response?
Properties like ESR, Dielectric absorption and leakage current come to mind.

In any case like Chu said we could talk in more detail about these mundane things in another thread. For now lets focus on warm receivers and hot givers....ahem back to the topic.

Yogi

Screenwriter
mmm looks pretty warm to me also. Any chance I can trade my warm Denon 3802 with that warm receiver.:)

Chu we could do this in private or maybe start a thread on passive components affecting sound. I dont want to start another thread on amp sound that will eventually lead no where.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
Just tried a local micro brew on my island.....from the Kona Brewing Company. Their Hula Hefewiezen is great.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Damned if I know where it'll lead Yogi. Might not lead anywhere at all. However, I recommend that Jason over in HI cough up airplane tickets for us to see if capacitaors sound different when on an island. In the end it can always degenerate into beer and pictures of tawdry women.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Chu, for your enlightenment, when I visited the Thiel factory in Kentucky, 'bout 12 years ago, they were testing caps to check which one sounded best for the crossovers. I bet they know a thing or two you don't.

I've listened modified amps and I can tell you same value MIT's sound different to Infini-Caps to Black Gates, etc.

You are entitled to your opinion as we all are, however, Thiel or any other Hi-End manufacturer will swallow your flat-earth mentality on everything sounds-the-same with very warm Russian beer!

A new thread with Yogi on amp sound will actually lead straight to Radio Shack, and Yogi doesn't want to go there! :D

JaimeB

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Geez, how did I become a member of the flat earth society?

I think you misunderstood what was going on at the factory. The capacitor is one part of (it doesn't have to be though...) of a crossover and likely they'd modelled, using Spice techniques or whatever else, various crossover designs for a particular speaker system. Hence one would expect different capacitors and for that matter different resistors or inductors to have an effect on the circuitry and the resulting 'blending' of the drivers. Further those components will generally be chosen based upon their suitability to a given task. Open up a Mouser catalog and you'll find all sorts of capacitors designed for all sorts of applications. It is entirely possible, and it has happened, that an unskilled engineer will use the wrong type in a particular location.
As far as your statement of audibility differences goes, maybe yes, maybe no, but if your listening protocol was flawed then your conclusions may also be. Arriving at the truth requires a methodical approach and a rigorous attention to details. Demonstrate that or sign up with the flat-earthers.
Now pony up a comment regarding beer, pizza, or women. Post a picture for Dana. He'll love ya for it.

Jason Brent

Second Unit
Well, Chu, if I could afford to send you some tickets, I'd love to discuss theory with you over some great pizza at the Brewery, while we sample the local brews. I'm kinda alone out here....no audio buddies:frowning:

But since I'm a lowly flight instructor, I live at the bottom of the totem pole in the aviation industry, so I'm afraid you'll have to take a raincheck. But just as soon as I win the lottery, I'll be sure to hook you up (after I add a new runco and meridian setup)

Aloha!

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Chu;

Read my lips - stop going in circles chasing your tail. You like writing long theoretical "Chu*" explanations to simple reality. Its your way of rationalizing audio "behavior". Your choice.

I DID NOT misunderstand what was going on at the factory, you are assuming to fit your theory. I was told exactly what they were doing. PERIOD! They know about all the caps available, and how they are used much better than you do. If you dare mention "unskilled engineer" at the Thiel factory, better have your life insurance policy up to date, Southerners hate smart-ass New Yorkers...boy, you do assume most of your arguments!

But what's the point, drop by Sound by Singer or any other Hi-End shop in your city and find out what reality is and keep theory at home! Have a couple of cold beers and enjoy, you may even hear some music in between rationalizing flawed protocols. Try different amps and hear how "identical" they sound. Can't hear it? Drop the audio hobby ASAP and find another hobby. Or just keep that Fisher receiver...

Point in your favor, best pizza - NYC.
Dana should have seen my girlfriend's picture by now. Wonder why he hasn't posted?

This forum is for opinion and dissent, thanks for taking no offense.

JaimeB

* In CHU World, everything audio is explained away in long
monotonous inconclusive and many times erroneous assumptions where the other party is always flawed in its assertions on practical observations not fitting with CHU's self designed (imagined) theoretical thinking. Notwithstanding all this, CHU has good taste in beer, which all taste the same unless otherwise "scientifically" proven differently.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Stopping by a hi end audio shop in NY is like going to a Benny Hinn revival or listening to Sylvia Brown. BTW, I've emailed Thiel and if I get a reply I'll post both the question and the response. Don't need to theorize differences, simply establish that they exist and then you or I can theorize all we want.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
Lamest excuse not to go to a Hi-End shop in NYC, and completely irrational, since all the best brands are featured there. It seems to me (I'm positive) you have been kicked-out from all already. Visit Wal-Mart, their audio equipment doesn't sound like Sylvia Brown.

E-mail Richard Marsh directly and get a lesson or ten on capacitor sound, bet you won't do it.

I have no time to theorize on what I hear, instead I enjoy my equipment, and shop for what I believe is an upgrade.

Angelo:

A friend of mine works at Pfizer, just in case you need VISINE for those irritated eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks