What's new

Looking for a pull-down Projector Screen recommendation (1 Viewer)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I have owned a PT-AE1000U for quite a while and have been using an Infocus 70" pull down screen that came with my previous Infocus projector. I've been rearranging my living room and am thinking about going bigger. I've been looking at 92" screens and realize that I have absolutely no idea what to get. There seem to be a ton of brands, model numbers, and pricing. In general I like to buy good value for money and not necessarily top of the line, but I like to know what benefits and sacrifices they entail.

I've read that some pull down screens can develop waves in them over time. I've been fortunate that my current screen does not seem to have this problem.

During the day, the room is not completely dark, but night time is what I care about the most.

I appreciate any help that folks can provide.

Thanks!

Gregory

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
A 70" diagonal screen is pretty small for typical front projector use. How did you decide on a 92" screen? What is your seating distance from screen? You've been lucky that your screen hasn't developed wrinkles. Is there any reason why you have to go with a pulldown screen? If I had to go with a pulldown screen, I'd get a tab-tensioned one. Sorry, but I don't have any specific recommendations.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I sit about 11 feet from the screen. The projector is sitting on a shelf mounted to the wall behind the sofa. I just took out the measuring tape, and I'd underestimated my current screen size. It is 77".

I came up with 92" by playing around with the calculator on projectorcentral and also projecting onto the wall. As for why I need a pull down screen, the projector is in the living room, so it needs to be hidden when I'm not watching movies. I actually have it set up so that the screen pulls down in front of my living room TV. I use the TV for regular viewing and pull down the projector screen for movies. The current screen works great, but I think I can go bigger.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
I have also been looking for something similar in 100". Here it is in 92" It is an Elite CineTension2 from Projector People for $729

The link is to the CineWhite surface model but it also comes in grey and PowerGain. The only thing that I don't like about it is that there is a texture to the surface (and to all of Elite's surfaces, I think). I would prefer it to be totally smooth for the best detail. Anyway, this screen seems to fit my needs and price range better than anything else. It might work for you, check it out.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/screens/proddtls.asp?productID=22916

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks