What's new

Looking for a nice 70 incher (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Put it this way. 2.39:1 viewing distance is considered 2x height...
So 110" 16:9 is roughly 12 feet.
110" 2.39:1 is roughly 7 feet.
And yes, I kept the 110 as the set where in reality...
110" 16:9=104" 2.39:1

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc /t/323684/looking-for-a-nice-70-incher#post_3974731
You just need the proper seating distance. I recommend the 1.5 rule for most people. Multiply the screen width by 1.5 for your seating distance. EX: 8' wide screen(110" diagonal) X 1.5 = 12' seating distance.

Just like Sam i sit closer and i am 8.4 feet away from a 104 inch screen, that's about 1 screen width, rules can be broken, i'm comfortable and my eyes can take in the full screen, mind you i also break the rule about being 3 feet from the floor, my screen is about 2 feet 4 inches from the floor and 1 foot 6 inches from the ceiling.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ric, what did you end up getting? I have last year's Mitsubishi WD-73838 (DLP) and love it. It's still for sale at Amazon for about what I paid for it locally.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I got one of the last Samsung LED DLP tvs, and love it. I got it because the picture was excellent, and no bulb or color wheel to worry about. Since they don't make these any more, the next best thing is the Mits LaserVision (LV) sets. People have been very impressed with the black levels and off axis viewing on my set. They have said, and I agree, that the black levels look as good as any plasma I've seen. The DLP sets also have more of a film look to them, rather than the video look of LCDs and plasmas. Of course, everyone has their opinions............... :)
The LV sets are a little pricier than the regular DLP sets, but may be worth it to you to not have the worry of bulb changing and color wheel problems.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
BTW...........
Our set is 61", and we sit right at 11' from it, and it's great. 70" from that distance would be great too. A 70" wouldn't fit in the space we had for the tv. It would have kept us from getting into a closet we use, and kept us from using a couple of steps we use every day.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I did not get it yet,but ti looks like I'm gonna go for one of those 75" Mitsi Laser-vues! I'm probably still a couple months away. There's a freelance job I have to get done with first to help pay for the monster! Btw, my room is fairly small and the viewing distance is about 9-10 feet away... Still, in this hi-def age, I don't think that's too close. I'll be sure to let you folks know when I take the plunge!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
OK... I bit the bullet. Last Wednesday I ordered the Mitsubishi L75-A94 Laservue set. I ordered it directly from Walt's (Amazon was offering through there) and I'll save on shipping and sales tax.
Now for the bad news. I just read that last MONDAY, Mitsi announced they were getting out of the TV biz.
Great.
I truly hope this is a stellar set and that there are no problems with it. I actually paid for a 3 year warranty on it since I saved on the tax. But will parts be available for a set that Mitsi will no longer sell? I hope I haven't made a huge mistake. But thinking back... if I could have afforded it, I would have bought the last Kuro set from Pioneer.
My set should be here sometime this week. Wish me luck.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes parts will be available. There are enough DLP/LV in the market that Mits will continue offering bulbs/colorwheels for years.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Here we go! It's here and in the room. The Mitsubishi L75-A94 Laservue! Click on the pic for a bigger view!
And here is a before and after shot of the old Pioneer and the new Mitsi!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You just couldn't stand the fact that I had upgraded to a 55" set, could you Ric?!?

Show off!

Saw you across the LOB a couple of weeks ago...but couldn't get your attention. It's like you were busy or something.

I'll bet you have been enjoying the new set...much like I've ben enjoying mine. I just wish I had even more time to watch it!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
OK. The set has been installed since Friday. First impression... WOW! What a bump up from my 53 incher!
Then a few things started bothering me...
First off... There seems to be some kind of texture on the screen. Most noticeable when there is a lot of white. But I am noticing it more and more in big blue skies and anywhere where there is a lot of a solid color. When I turn or move my head, this grainy type texture seems to disappear. But I cannot watch a movie while constantly moving my head. I think maybe one or two other folks have talked about this... I am starting to find it very distracting. Has everyone noticed this or just some folks? I have a lazy eye and favor either one eye over the other. I can switch whatever eye I am looking out of, but can't really get both to work together. So, I have pretty bad depth perception and 3D movies do not work with me. I am wondering if this might add to the textured effect. Have any of you folks with normal vision who own this set (or may have viewed it) see this? What happens if you close one eye? Does it become more prominent? I don't even want to ask my wife if she has noticed this. I just spent over 3 grand on this monster after a lot of finagling.
The second thing I find even more distracting. This thing is NOISY! It seems there are two separate things going on. There is a fan, which continues to run for about 30 seconds after I turn the set off and there is also a HUM. The hum I find the most distracting. In quiet scenes it seems that its all that I hear. The only time I don't hear it is when the music swells or during big action scenes. Is this something that is fixable?
Take a look at those pix I posted on the previous page... I'm wondering if the enclosed area is pushing the noise out toward me? I've heard some folks over at AVS mention the hum issue and others say that they don't hear it unless they are right next to the set. Not much can be done about the room. Its on the small side. 12 feet wide by 14 feet deep. The main viewing position is about 10 feet away.
Anyway, as you can tell, a lot of my initial excitement has faded after seeing (and hearing) this set in person. Hope my wife does not see this post! There was nowhere to go locally to check this out, so I just had to go by reviews. And the ones I read at the time were saying this set was fantastic. If I had seen this in person, I'm not sure that I would have detected either issue anyway. I can probably get used to the textured effect. I am hoping something can be done about the sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The set uses the same type of fan a projector uses. It is essentially a bright flashlight back there that generates heat. I guess you could place another smaller fan back there drawing air out...and see if another fan that is quieter makes the inner fan do nothing...????
When it comes to the picture itself...we had a laservue in our office and I never saw anything "textured"...
It could be that you've reached the size/distance where 1080P is peaked...maybe...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Schan, I don't think so. I'm not seeing pixels, but kind of a bumpy (slightly shimmery) texture. And the viewing distance is one and a half times the width, so I should be good.
As for the hum. I think the noise is coming from two sources, the fan being only one of them. When I turn the set off, the hum disappears, though I can still hear the fan as it winds down. The hum is the noise that I find most distracting and can hear it over the fan.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It looks fantastic. I have a 65" Laserview in my living room, a 3D LED in the bedroom.

I keep walking buy a Samsung UN75 S9000 set at a retailer that I could get at a real discount.. and I keep thinking about it, but it'd be one of those truly "blow money" purchases; I cannot imagine the honey-do list I'd have from the spouse for the next few months.

But it doesn't mean I haven't thought about it ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just perused the AVS Laservue thread...
Apparently you are hearing electrical noise...which shouldn't be there...and could be the cause of the "picture issue"...
Call Mits for a service.
It is possible there is something out of whack internally.(one of the pratfalls of DLP...they don't ship well...)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Schan. I think I will do that. next week when I am off from work. Though I bought it from Walt's with an extended warranty. So maybe I should start with them?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ric Easton said:
Thanks Schan. I think I will do that. next week when I am off from work. Though I bought it from Walt's with an extended warranty. So maybe I should start with them?
Only if you want to return it...
Mits might make you return it...but usually with these it is easier to do an in-home and find out if it is just something inside is just misaligned...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ric Easton said:
Schan, I don't think so. I'm not seeing pixels, but kind of a bumpy (slightly shimmery) texture. And the viewing distance is one and a half times the width, so I should be good.
As for the hum. I think the noise is coming from two sources, the fan being only one of them. When I turn the set off, the hum disappears, though I can still hear the fan as it winds down. The hum is the noise that I find most distracting and can hear it over the fan.
That shimmery look might be what used to be called colluquially the "silk screen effect" caused by the lenticular layer on the screen--common characteristic of dlp and lcos rptvs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks