What's new

looking for a new DLP (1 Viewer)

Franklin

Agent
hey all,

ok, here's a newbie question for everyone.

i am planing on upgrading my TV in the near future. actually, i am very happy with the set (a 20 in. toshiba flat screen) i have now, however i have moved recently and it is now too small. so, i'd like to upgrade and am highy considering making the jump to a HD set.

my watching habits: i don't watch too much cable, but i do play alot of video games and watch DVDs.

i am leaning to a 16x9 DLP, but since i don't plan on getting an HD cable signal, is it worth a $3000 investment or should i just get a larger 4:3? i guess what i'm looking for is some advice from some seasoned HT guys here...thanks for the input!

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
If most of what you do is video games and DVD's, I think DLP is the best way to go (and unless you're buying plasma, the best way to go all around). If you're using XBox for games, most games are at least 480p, with a scattering of 720p and 1080i titles available. Off topic, wasn't Halo 2 originally going to be 720p? I'd say get the DLP, or if you're not looking at getting something in the 40-50 inch range, get a 16:9 HD tube set. The Sony's are pretty good.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you want to go projection I would recomend a 4:3 ratio projector and screen. Unless you dont mind the bars on the left and right of your screen while playing video games. Infocus makes a nice projector that does not cost an arm and a leg. Personally I recomend a 16:9 ratio set up. If you decide on going with a tube set up I would recomend a Panasonic or Toshiba. Sony still makes an ok tv but they are not what they use to be. And IMHO you dont have to spend the extra money just for the Sony badge on the front. When you can get a nicer tv for less money. If I am not mistaken a Infocus hd compatible projector retail for around $2500 not including a screen. It is important that you get a good quality screen to help the picture look as good as posible. Choosing a poor screen can make your picture quality suffer. You might also want to consider an hd rear projection option as the cost would be cheaper than plasma and not far off that of a hd tube model.

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Brandon..if 34 inches in 16x9 is big enough, then definitely get a sony tube for $2000.

ChrisPay

Auditioning
Regarding the Tube or any 16:9 projection TV. I've seen a number of 16:9s that look horrific when watching regular analog or even digital cable (not HD) when taking a 4:3 and fitting it on the 16:9 screen.

I liked the Sony tube 34XBR960, but when set to convert a 4:3 to 16:9, it cut off some of the rolling screens at the bottom.

Don't mind the bars on the sides for 4:3, but understand "burn-in" would be an issue with the Tube, LCD RP and CRT RP, but not DLP.

For those of you (probably eveyone) have 16:9 and watch 4:3, what TV handles this the best?

Thanks in advance....

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with most posters here DLP is the way to go
some people have complained of a slight delay in the gaming world on the Samsung DLPs.

For 4:3... thats tough... not many new TV being made
accept maybe LCD and tubes.. Take your pick there

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
If this is a tv you plan on keeping for a long time, consider the future too.

4:3 is a good option now, but as the years go on, it's going to dwindle even further.

Big chances are the next generation of video game systems (PS3, XB2, NR) are going to have many more 16:9 titles and be based around the format.

16:9 is a better viewing experience for things in the format IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks