What's new

Looking for a new AV receiver for a 9.1 setup (1 Viewer)

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I am sick of my Denon 3312ci, it is weak and has still has video issues and customer support has been terrible. I have had Denon my last 2 receivers and am now thinking about Yamaha, Anthem, Arcam or if anyone has some good suggestions. It will be for 9.1 set up. I just got my SVS ultra bookshelfs to replace my Mirage MC5s for fronts my center and sub are Mirage and surrounds are signet for sides and Gallo for rear and front effects. Any suggestion in the $2,500 range would be great.

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Who likes their receiver good enough to recommend it? With all the options out there can anyone give their top 3 choices?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Marantz
Denon
Yamaha

These are the three brands I am looking at to replace my Pioneer Elite SC-05!

Depends on what your looking for and what features are on you must have list! IMHO you allways want to push for the best receiver you can afford.

Will you or do you want 4K switching?
Will you or do you want Dolby Atmos / DTS-X decoding?

Or will DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD be more than good enough for you along with HDMI for 1080p sources? Just know that a number of brands to do yet offer 4K switching and or Dolby Atmos/DTS-X. If your looking at brands like Anthem or Arcam maybe Yamaha is not a good choice and maybe Rotel should be on that short list instead. I have nothing against Yamaha and they are not a bad option but I will revise my list but it would help to know what your budget is. I have not head a new Denon receiver in a few years so I can not say if they have strayed or not. I would how ever say check them out in person and try to listen to them in person if at all possible as specs will not tell you everything!

Denon (Check out new models but write if off if your that unhappy with the brand).

Marantz
XL_sr7011_u_b_fr.png

Yamaha
05A1DC93773940DCA15980596990EE35_12075.jpg

Integra
timthumb.jpeg

Arcam
411_large.jpg

Anthem

Rotel (They sound very good but it depends on what features are on your must have list!)
rsx1562_silver.jpg

rsp1582_black.jpg

Last edited:

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
Thanks for the reply, at the moment I don't have a 4K tv so that is not a must but would be nice to have.I would like Dolby Atmos if possible. I am looking in the $2,000 range. The Marantz looks great and from what I have read they are like a higher end Denon. Yamaha seems to give the most for the price. Keep me posted on your research and what you are leaning toward. I just got my SVS ultra bookshelf speakers so I have been testing them out. Next is a new receiver.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just for your information. If a person still has equipment with S-Video out, and they want to use S-video, rather than composite, then the Yamaha Aventage series is a no go. It has no S-Video inputs. I just purchased a receiver in that series and found out when I went to plug in my old LD player. I like the receiver enough that lack of S-video is no big deal to me, but I also think it is bizarre that a C$2000 dollar amp does not have those inputs, whereas the 700 dollar Onkyo it is replacing had S-video connections paired up with every composite connection.

The Aventage series has composite, component and HDMI inputs only. It also has coax and optical for audio-only applications.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That would work, but a person shouldn't have to spend 50 bucks more for another piece of equipment and a set of cables when they have just spent 2000+ on a new receiver. In my case, it didn't matter. My LD is the only legacy equipment I had with S-video. The difference between composite and S-video was minimal to me, so no loss.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just threw it out there as a solution for anyone with the same S-Video needs that simply had to get the Yamaha. There are work-arounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks